Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Unity standard assets?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Rjeske, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Rjeske

Rjeske

I'm using the Water4Advanced asset from the Unity Standard Assets package, but none of the scripts seem to be working.... I'm guessing it's because of an update, so anyone know when the scripts will be updated? If they're not I could probably figure out how to code them myself, but... *shrugs*.

upload_2018-7-18_20-0-34.png

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

They probably don't all have compile errors. Check the Console when you open the project (or add these assets to a previously-working project). What errors do you find?

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm surprised that Water4 (both Simple and Advanced) continues to be provided in Standard Assets. Like the number in the name implies it was originally created for Unity 4 and is now over six years old. With the massive overhauls Unity has had since it came out it would be more practical to create a new one from scratch than to update this one.

Bill_Martini and JoeStrout like this.
  4. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

From the screenshot you provided it looks like the prefab needs 4 scripts attached to it and these scripts have compile errors. The most obvious answer has already been provided by @Ryiah. Something that old should have some compatibility issues.

First make sure you have the latest Standard Assets package. I know it's been updated several times over the years, but I can't speak to what has and has not been updated. Second, the errors can be fixed. I see this is your first post so I'm guessing that solving these error might be beyond your capabilities right now. It would still be a learning experience if you tried. Many reported errors can be eliminated by a single fix in code, so don't be overwhelmed by the amount of errors. If you require help in solving, post the actual error from the console and show the problematic code, there are many here who are willing to help out.

5. Rjeske

Rjeske

Ah, okay. I think I have the latest SA package, but I'm not sure--I just downloaded it from the asset store pretty recently, so I assume it would automatically download the latest updated one?
    I can look into fixing the errors, but first I'll have a look around the asset store and see if I can find any water assets that were made more recently and wouldn't have such issues.

Thanks for the help!

6. parque123

parque123

I have the same issue, on the error console, it says;

Assets/Standard Assets/Utility/SimpleActivatorMenu.cs(10,16): error CS0619: 'GUIText' is obsolete: 'GUIText has been removed. Use UI.Text instead.'

7. Ryiah

Ryiah