Search Unity

Help with texturing!

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by David3D1, Nov 5, 2011.

1. David3D1

David3D1

Hello I have made a low ploy dumpster( nothing major). Did the uvs and all..But when i go to texture in Photoshop and load in max,its blury!! Why? Here is the model and UV map! Please help, thanks

Attached Files:

2. TheCasual

TheCasual

in Max , in the material editor , under the Material Menu , is a Display Materials with Hardware and Maps option. Enable it , should take care of the blur.

3. David3D1

David3D1

ok thnx man..

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  4. David3D1

David3D1

ok heres with texture..but not done yet.

Attached Files:

5. TheCasual

TheCasual

looks good man.

6. David3D1

David3D1

really? thanks..this one looks some what better..1024x1024 map

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  7. TheCasual

TheCasual

You can also right click the viewport label and open a completely different set of options for your rendering , viewports , etc .. have a look through that.

8. David3D1

David3D1

heres what i mean by blur in veiw..sorry to keep posting..but i wanna get it right

Attached Files:

9. TehWut

TehWut

I think you could squeeze alot more out of your maps if you wanted. You have a ton of unused space.

10. David3D1

David3D1

yes i know..i am not done yet. scene i am working on

Attached Files:

11. ivanzu

ivanzu

the white dots should be much smaller it makes the whole texture look low res.

12. David3D1

David3D1

its a temp texture but ok thnx..

13. Stefano_1990

Stefano_1990

You need to normal map this bad boy. Especially the lid.

14. ivanzu

ivanzu

Bake the AO.

15. larvantholos

larvantholos

You could probably get that texture a lot sharper mr intermediate environment artist ;) - start with higher res textures, then scale them down to preserve details. A good example there might be your label - it looks very dull, grab a higher res one, or even a vector version of it, and scale it down appropriately on a separate layer.

As for the can itself - seems like you did a green layer with some render clouds over top, this is good for breaking up the texture. You might also want to add some corrosion, and dirt, to make it more believable. It does seem that the texture is blurring, is that last shot from in unity, or still in max? Try rendering it out and see if the blurr is still there - whenever possible, don't re-bake your texture onto the model as this will cause it to lose resolution fast, your better off working on edits within photoshop to get the maximum amount of detail there.

If you want to push more detail, spend some time learning to uv as well. Your lid is all broken up, but actually you'd be better off using a planer map there, making it one piece, and relaxing the lid bumps in a bit.

Once your using more space on your uv map, you'll be able to layer more detail in with it being less blurry - then your simple garbage can will really pop.

16. TehWut

TehWut

You keep saying "ok,ok,ok", but if you just fixed your UV's to use more space they would look fine.

17. sama-van

sama-van

Try to imagine damage on it.
    When people move it, open it, empty it, etc...
    Also pets like to pee on this kind of prop, and kid draw extra graph.
    It also happen people attach publicity on it.

And with time, years, weather, etc,... It loses paint, color change,etc...

That should help to make your prop a little more a live.

After all depends what kind of graphical style you want to do, but I always kind of tender blue sky light coming from the top....

18. David3D1

David3D1

ok thnnx guys..yes still rendered in max..for some reason my bump maps are not look great anymore in max..not sure y..Im still learning to texture..ill try what all yall said..thnx for the help

19. David3D1

David3D1

what u mean fix uvs for more space?

20. TehWut

TehWut

See that? look how much unused black space that is. If you stretch everything proportionally to fit more of the Texture, it will help your model look less blurry.

21. larvantholos

larvantholos

Fix the unwrapping to take more optimized use of the space.

As for max, if you turn on use realistic rendering with maps, you'll get the best resolution on your textures in the view point.
    If you don't need shadows, this works fine in shaded mode - idealy to get the best result you'd also turn your shader to be using hardware mode so it doesn't get down ressed for any reason.

The reason some of your model looks ok, and some of it does not, is because the resolution (texel) depends on how much of the 0 1 space your using (the place you lay your uv's on) - by adjust the sizes and better unwrapping elements you'll get a better result. For instance, you don't need a lot of space dedicated to the bottom of the garbage can, its likely going to be black from light mapping either way, so make it really small, and adjust the top/front/sides to be more uniform with each other - this ensures every piece is getting the same texel density, and will result in everything looking the same level of detail (one part wont be more blurry than the other)

22. David3D1

David3D1

Ah OK. That explain it lol.

23. sama-van

sama-van

Yeah, I feel a lot of very strange how you build your uv set...

No way to share the model without texture?
    I could show you "my way" to do the thing if you think to learn something of it...

But I really insist saying the current Uvs set should be done in another way... :(

EDIT :

Dunno if this can help you to render your object and to get it a little more realistic if this is what you are looking for :

- http://portfolio.samavan.com/3D/Realistic/Speaker/index.php
    - http://portfolio.samavan.com/3D/Realistic/Intuos/index.php
    - http://portfolio.samavan.com/3D/Realistic/Box_A/index.php

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  24. David3D1

David3D1

wow nice..yes thats kinda what im looking for..would love to see ur way if its ok

yes i can share model if u like..Heres the dumpster in obj. format if anyone would like to help me with uv layout please..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  25. sama-van

sama-van

Well now all depend if for next gen or PC.

If for iphone I'll suggest to scale down Uvs and keep at least 20 pixel between each parts if for a 256x256 texture and if using MipMapping.

Also a few comments from your model :
    - to snap vertex on the same vertical and horizontal line.
    - to delete no use vertex and to be sure vertex sharing the same position are welded.
    - If parts are too small, that is not use in game.
    ---- On the parts at the top and scaled it a little bit.
    ---- On the parts on each side of your props, I attached it to the main body.
    - more you attach Uvs parts together easier wil be your texture work and less vertex the engine will generate in runtime,

My props is about 316 tri.
    It was 392 tri on the original model.

26. David3D1

David3D1

its for a pc game..looks very good now lol..I'll keep working on it..I'm doing a mailbox now..like one u see in Canada

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011