Search Unity

Help with terrain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SeanGause, Jun 26, 2017.

1. SeanGause

SeanGause

I've waited about an hour with no response on the general support thread, so perhaps you guys can help.
    Here's my issue:
    When I look at / face my terrain (both ingame and in the scene view) my fps drops to about 3. I have a slow computer, so this is sort of expected. I was wondering if there is a way to make my terrain decrease in detail as I get further away. Right now, the terrain itself remains smooth and fully rendered from a large distance.

So I'm trying to make it more blocky the further away I am, so that I can run around on it and not experience framerate issues. Any help / suggestions?

2. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

I don't believe this is possible with a single terrain. However one thing people do occasionally is split it up into multiple terrains, and then work with those.

3. HX_LSC

HX_LSC

3? update your pc;

4. N1warhead

N1warhead

4? Change Pixel Error to 200 on Terrain.

angrypenguin likes this.
  5. Chrisasan

Chrisasan

There should be a way to configure the depth of view with the camera. So that unity3d will only render polygones that are within a certain distance from the active camera. It might be in the camera itself, or maybe in the rendering or graphics options.

6. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

They don't want it to straight up not render the far away stuff. They just want it in less detail.

Chrisasan likes this.
  7. SeanGause

SeanGause

Solved the problem. I was stupid and I didn't notice the Pixel Error slider. Thank you for the help though.

N1warhead likes this.