Search Unity

Help with shadow casting in AR using the Hololens

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by AR_project_adl, Jul 10, 2019.

1. AR_project_adl

AR_project_adl

Hey,

I am currently working on a project involving representation of the real light in a room in AR with a little crew as part of a uni project.

Meaning that basically we need the shadows of my AR object to match whatever they would be if they were real objects in the room with the current lighting.

So, we have managed to detect the light sources, position and angle etc.

To our surprise we cannot see the shadows after deploying to the hololens.

What do I mean?

I mean that in unity the shadows are visible and show up in "scene mode" but once deployed we only see the lighting onthe different objects and not around them.

I understand that anything black in the hololens would be transparent when deployed. So at the moment I am just trying to create different color light, lets say red, in order to create a "negative shadow" in my scene.

So i inset a spot or directional light, set it as red, then deploy.

I will see the objects affected by the red light, But nothing around them in the hololens, if there isn't a plane or something so i just see what is under the object, and if there is a plane, then i will see the plane affected by the light, but don't see any shadows what so ever.

I would be so grateful if any of you can help and maybe point out any possible errors I might have or something I'm doing wrong.

Thank you in advance for any help!

p.s:

I have attached a screenshot of what we see in unity, we would like to see those same shadows on the plane/ surface after deploying to the hololens.

dennisde likes this.