Search Unity

Help with making a strategy game

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by LeoKatu, Dec 30, 2018.

1. LeoKatu

LeoKatu

Hello, I'm not the best at the starts of these so I'll get to my point. I've had Unity for some time now but I haven't done much other than some experimenting and such. I'm not interested in making first person shooters(any view), I don't care for most game idea's other than games like Stellaris(can find this on steam or a google search),Civilization(all games), Star Wars Empire at War(Mainly space battles, ground battles feel unbalanced to me), Stardew Valley(I love how interesting the game is to me and I love this art style, I included this because the game is great for showing what can be done with so little.) Lastly X3 Terran Conflict and X3 Albion Prelude.

I'll explain why I chose to put these game's on the list in more detail below.

PS I apologize that this first paragraph is a bit messy but I'll get better so please over look this first part.

=======================================================================

First I want to give you a good idea of what type of game I want to make beyond these games I listed. I love being the commander of a Army or being in charge of a community. The game I want to make isn't turn based, it isn't going to end on any main way like an economy or conquest being completed. I want a game where you start off small on one planet and continue into a vast never ending empire like Stellaris. I want to make it where you can have multiple people in one empire(roles would consist running the Navy, Army, Infrastructure, ect). I want something that will take many many hours to finish or simply go until your satisfied. Like how Star Wars Empire at War would be.

Now I know I have a few things I need before I can even think about making a game and that will be said further in this reading.

Onto why I chose the game's I did is mainly due to each one has mechanics I think would go well together. For example Civilization has a very large world and I love playing to become the dominant power in the world. This game has a few flaws I dislike(Now I mainly play the Civilization V so some of these may be fixed), first I hate it that I can't have more involvement on how my empire grows as a power. All my play through's end the same way and it annoys me that I can't continue the game after the fact. I want to show how far I can grow before I fall not stop when I'm the last one standing.

Next Stellaris, to start off this one I will say this game is still growing so please don't think it's done fixing and bringing new things into the game. Now this game is a great example of a game that takes hours and hours away. You start off with one planet and grow into a great Empire fighting your own challenges as you go. The thing I love about this game is that you can make anything is you have the mind and creativity for it. The economic system is actually well thought out. You have say in most of how your Empire grows and develops. For example you can be a Democrat or be Warlord. I love the potential this game has but the combat is really simple and it annoys me that I can't have a say in how my ground forces attack the ground or how my ships in space fight.

Now onto Star Wars Empire at War, this game is an old classic on the pc. Only this last year or two did it get multiplayer again but in that short time it opened so much new concepts on how a game of owning a Empire's military can be like. This game falls on a few accounts, first space battles can be very lagy in late games and ground battles in my own opinion are boring and unbalanced. You have a limit to how much you can bring into a battle witch makes sense when dealing with lag but as either side why would you keep reserves in the back when you can crush your enemy? Why can't I bring in the the full force of my forces on really good defensed planets with both fleets and ground armies. Why is it I can only do one bombardment or bombing run when I have a fleet with much much more troops and guns? I get the game is an older game and it can't handle a lot but that isn't a excuse to make the game feel like it has little player control.

Next would be Stardew Valley, I know this is a weird pick but this game has some RPG elements I'd like to show. First it puts you on a farm with nothing more than quests and such to start a farm and you can do what ever you wish in the game. Explorer, miner, farmer, fishermen, merchant, and a few more. Now this game is made for a farming RPG so it has a lot of elements like dungeons, events, and choice on how to make money. Keeping games like this can go a long way into making a larger game have some things in it to make it a MUCH larger experience.

Finally X3 Terran Conflict and X3 Albion Prelude,(X4 was released and I can't wait to get my hands on it.) this game is a open sandbox game witch gives you the choice in becoming almost anything in the Galaxy. Now this game is the type of game that will take many many many hours to gain progress so I can understand why most people wouldn't want to play this but the openness needs to be commended and looked upon when making new game's.

PS, with this game I've pondered the idea of having both a top down view like in Stellaris but have other players being in ship or on planets in charge of armies and fun stuff provided by the owner of the Empire but I don't think this is something I'd be able to do alone so this is in the back of my mind.

Now I wrote all of that to give a good idea of what I want to make so you know at least some of what I want to do. Now back onto the idea of keeping most of the control in the player's hand if the player wishes to do so. I'd want to keep this an open discussion to keep a much better idea of what I wish to do so going back to the very start before I can do ANY of what I just said I need to learn how to make a basic game like this. So if anyone is interested in joining me in making this game feel free to email me.

schmigielrichard@gmail.com

So please anyone who knows how to start something like this give me a way to start something this large let me know. Honestly I plan to make a game like Star wars Empire at War but much more detailed in more ways than one so please help me any way you can.

PS, I will need staff that are good with making are(3D projects most likely) and a bunch of other stuff so if you think you can help feel free to email me anytime. If I don't respond don't worry I'll respond to all the I can so keep hope if you wish to join!!

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

If you need staff, to help, there is collaborative forum section for advertising job offers.

For the rest, you are designer/programmer, so you need come up with solutions. If you don't know how to start, on the bottom of the page, are links. One of them is Learn section. Get visit it study and practise its content.

3. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

Adding to the things that @Antypodish said, there is a sub formum at the bottom of the forum specially for design. you can ask there your common questions about design there.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

To be frank, you have a full page discussing your gaming interests, and at no point you include an actual question. You need help designing the game.... ok, with what specifically?

If you want to just recruit people to do the work, try Unity Connect, reddit, craigslist, linkedin, etc, etc.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Kiwasi likes this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The reason no definitive guides for strategy games exist is because practically every strategy game is custom made. There is a good reason why there are a dozen FPS games for every strategy game. Strategy games take much longer to build, and make much less money overall.

Strategy games are built up one system at a time. Decide which system is the most critical and build that first. Then add on the next system, until you have a functioning game.

Ryiah and Joe-Censored like this.