Search Unity

Question Help with lobby/room

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by MidniteOil, Jul 16, 2020.

1. MidniteOil

MidniteOil

Greetings, I'm venturing into multiplayer/networked game development using mirror and starting with a simple room/lobby implementation with a custom UI to learn the basics.

I am using the 2020.1.0b10.3837 version of Unity and grabbed the latest mirror code. I was able to build and run their room and chat examples.

I copied their NetworkRoomManagerExt and NetworkRoomPlayerExt classes into my project and was able to get it working but with the built-in development UI.

I am now trying to retrofit it to use my own custom UI.
    upload_2020-7-16_15-15-2.png

upload_2020-7-16_15-15-52.png

I've wired the Host Game and Join buttons up to the NetworkRoomManager's StartHost() and StartClient() methods and that all works great.

The problem arose when I tried to follow the pattern from the Mirror chat example to set the player name.
    I added a Player Name property to the NetworkRoomManagerExt class and wired the OnValueChanged event of my player name input field to it.

Then, I added the following overrides:

Code (CSharp):
    2.     public override void OnRoomStartServer()
    3.     {
    4.         base.OnRoomStartServer();
    5.         NetworkServer.RegisterHandler<CreatePlayerMessage>(OnCreatePlayer);
    6.     }
    8.     public override void OnClientConnect(NetworkConnection conn)
    9.     {
    10.         base.OnRoomClientConnect(conn);
    11.         Debug.Log($"OnClientConnect {conn?.connectionId ?? -1}, {conn?.identity?.hasAuthority}, {conn?.identity?.name ?? "null"}");
    13.         // tell the server to create a player with this name
    14.         conn.Send(new CreatePlayerMessage { name = PlayerName });
    15.     }
    Note: I originally tried using OnRoomCoientConnect but that gave me this error:

So I tried using OnClientConnect() instead.

This is the result I'm getting:
    upload_2020-7-16_15-25-7.png

I'm struggling to see how to use my custom UI with the room/lobby code I copied from the sample. The sample hides all the UI/Network interaction and I don't see any good examples of how to replace the built-in developer UI with mine.

Here's how I've layed out my UI:
    upload_2020-7-16_15-26-31.png

The Host Button disables the Panel_Login and IPAddress input sections and calls StartHost().

Attached Files:

2. MidniteOil

MidniteOil

I've actually got past that error but I am still very confused. I realized the Chat example was instantiating the actual game player in OnClientConnect() which is not what I want. Since this is a lobby I want to instantiate the NetworkRoomPlayer.
    I know the room player is automatically getting instantiated somehow because I see this on the roommanager GUI:
    upload_2020-7-16_16-48-38.png

In the NetworkRoomManager I see these settings:
    upload_2020-7-16_16-50-50.png

I want to turn off the default GUI and display my own but I need to know how to intercept the creation of the room players so I can set the player names?

Can anyone provide an example of this?

Thanks.

3. Eisnel

Eisnel

Did you get or found a way to do this?
    Thanks

4. MidniteOil

MidniteOil