Search Unity

Question Help with HDRP Lighting

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by unity_1bircheth, May 13, 2021.

1. unity_1bircheth

unity_1bircheth

Hi, I've recently converted my Unity project to the HDRP and I'm getting frustrated with how lighting works now. I've watched a few tutorials, googled around a bunch, but I just can't seem to get my scene to look right at all. I've attached two pictures below, one of them is in the editor, and the other is at runtime. For some reason, it looks great in the editor, but AWFUL at runtime. All of the textures have these weird highlights, and I just want it to look how it looks in the editor.

Please let me know if there are any specific places I should check out, because I'm searching around blind.

Attached Files:

2. Thall33

Thall33

I
    I had the same experience. i can't be certain but its as if the skybox exposure has taken priority in terms of exposure, i had to turn down all lights, get the sky exposure correct and realistic and adjust the lights accordingly.

FYI - Also you're probably better posting in https://forum.unity.com/forums/graphics-experimental-previews.110/

unity_1bircheth likes this.
  3. unity_1bircheth

unity_1bircheth

Okay thank you! I'll try what you suggested first and if I still run into problems I'll head over there.

4. Erenquin

Erenquin

Seems very similar to the bug I reported here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/lighting-issue-in-2019-4-21f1-lts-and-2019-4-23f1-lts.1109756/

In the process of switching to HDRP, did you also update the unity version ?
    For me the issue appeared simply when I switched to 2019.4.21f1 LTS from 2019.4.19f1 LTS.

As your scene is interior you can simply disable the Skybox (set it to none) in the lighing settings and you will get back the original lighting.
    Because yes, even if you have a roof the skybox influences the lighting o_O.

Also beware, if you reload the scene via scripts (scenemanager.loadscene ...) the lighting will be back to as it should be.
    So all your new setup will be screwed actually.

unity_1bircheth likes this.
  5. unity_1bircheth

unity_1bircheth

I have been messing around a lot more with the HDRP and I'm understanding it a bit more, one of the things which was causing the shadows appearing above the light sources were Contact Shadows, so I turned those off. Another thing which I just found out was how to use the Indirect Lighting Controller, which helps make the scene darker. Honestly it's still confusing, and I'm watching a bunch of videos about it, but this is helpful.

6. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

7. unity_1bircheth

unity_1bircheth