Search Unity

Help with BOOK OF THE DEAD DEMO

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by joshwren, Sep 7, 2018.

1. joshwren

joshwren

I've downloaded the Book of the Dead environment demo and whenever I import any prefabs it puts a bright pink color instead of the material. I would like to be able to interact with this environment and use some prefabs I already have built. Can someone guide me on how to make my existing prefabs cooperate with this environment. I'm sure its something fairly easy, but I'm new to unity and could really use some guidance.

Attached Files:

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

What version of Unity are you using? Book of the Dead requires 2018.2 or higher

3. joshwren

joshwren

Thanks for your response Jeff

Currently on version 2018.2.6f1

I can see the environment just fine and can move the trees/grass/sticks etc. What I would like to do is drop in prefabs that are either free from the store or that I have created and use them with this environment. When I drop my prefabs into a totally different Project the materials all come thru just like normal. When i put the same prefab into this environment it shows the bright pink for the materials. It auto switches any existing prefab to this bright pink.

I really just want to know if this is a setting or if i can resolve this, because I would love to experiment more with my prefabs in this environment.

4. joshwren

joshwren

I am getting these errors as well I'm not sure if they will help you see what the issue is?

Attached Files:

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You will need to look at the shaders these prefabs are using.

6. joshwren

joshwren

the shaders aren't an issue in any other project I put them into. I have even re exported them from C4D to ensure the textures weren't messed up. If i drop them into any other existing project or new project the shaders all come thru no issue. Do they just not want people using prefabs in this environment or is it just an error?

7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

It looks to be an error, as "they" want you to use the environment! Can you spot the issue in the shader compilation? I believe the environment does put up a warning about this, if I recall.

8. Mauri

Mauri

Ignore those warnings (errors are red, by the way). They're not the cause of why your objects are rendered pink.
    Keep in mind that the 'Book of the Dead' environment uses a customized version of the HDRP, so the Shaders are likely some customized ones, too... Pick a working asset from the scene and see what Shader is it using.

9. tcourbet

tcourbet

Hi,

I've been trying to open Book of the Dead in Unity 2018.3.0b12 and I seem to have a few errors which prevents from seeing anything in the demo scene. (see attachment)
    I've tried in Unity 2018.2.18f1 and I have no problem at all. Anyone knows what the problem is? (for info I've tried reimporting a few times and it's a blank project)

Thanks in advance!

Kaen_SG, aseps and emir3100 like this.
  10. kev42100

kev42100

Same problem, like tcourbet. Exact same errors.
    I started with an empty 3D template.

And even with the ShaderGraph HDR demo (butterfly).
    I have a GTX 970 with driver updated.

11. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

Having the same problem in 2018.3.6f1 (Currently latest build).
    I suppose the custom version of the HD RP is it using is simply not compatible with 2018.3+

12. tcourbet

tcourbet

Actually I managed to open it in 2018.3+

In the DepthOfFieldAutoFocus.cs file, in the lines 53 and 57, change:

[Min(0.1f)] to [UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.Min(0.1f)]

That did the trick for me!
    (I didn't come up with that, found it somewhere online but forgot to update the answer here, sorry!)

ChromazoneX and Kaen_SG like this.
  13. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

That fix worked brilliantly! It's now working fine in 2018.3.6f1. Thanks for posting the fix (even though it was from somewhere else). I'm sure that will help many of us looking in here for help. :)

ChromazoneX and tcourbet like this.
  14. Brewmeister90

Brewmeister90

How do you implement those script changes? I changed the lines in Visual Studio, and then what? Save and reload Unity scene... I'm new to Unity and Visual Studio.

15. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

Yes. Save and reload. but you probably already know that.

16. RustyCarbon

RustyCarbon

Hmm.. 4 errors? You are cute guys.
    Annotation 2020-08-19 143829.png
    I just opened it and it filled my screen with errors. I have no idea what to do.

17. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

Check that you are using the latest version of HDRP for your version of Unity.
    Then under Edit tab -> Render Pipeline, select Update HDRP materials to Latest Version

upload_2020-8-20_17-58-5.png

Start with that. :)

18. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

19. traitorgamingop

traitorgamingop

will it also workfor non hdrp files \\
    \\

20. ChromazoneX

ChromazoneX

Apologies for the necroposting, but even now in Unity2020.1.16f1 this fixes many errors, thank you for sharing this!

21. asiertroiti

asiertroiti

When importing the package in version 2020.1 the lighting of the scene and I get these errors, how do I fix them?

Attached Files:

22. Mauri

Mauri

Only the first three errors are related to Book Of The Dead. The truth is that the asset itself is - more or less - meant for Unity 2018.2 only.

As for the Standard Assets, don't use them. They're old and outdated.

23. asiertroiti

asiertroiti

removing the standard asset would solve the problem of compilation errors?
    I have also bought the asset R.A.M (River Auto Material) I do not know if with that I would have a problem ...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021