Search Unity

Help with Basic Mobile Game For Kids (Android)

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Kunalz, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Kunalz

Kunalz

Hi I am working on a project to develop a simple android game. The game is designed towards kids around 6 years old. The concept of the game is to teach kids to save electricity. How can I do this and is there a template or similar project anyone can recommend? The game must not contain text either since we assume that children cannot read.

It does not need to be a complex game, just a basic game that helps kid understand saving electricity is good. I am quite new to game development so if anyone can share their thoughts and ideas then that would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Nlim

Nlim

Adhoc something like this might work:
    1. There is one pool of resources for the player.
    2. To progress the player has to turn some kind of spender on which continusly drains resources from the pool.
    3. Past a certain point the spender stops progressing the game and has to be turned off manually

Main point is to give the player a sense of ownership over the resources and make it obvious once a spender is just waisting resources without benefit.
    In addition I would suggest to use a theme understandable for children - it doesn´t have to do be directly tied to electricity to teach the concept.

The only similar games that come to mind are usually strategy games since they force you to manage your resources to play well but their goal usually ain´t being educational.

Kunalz likes this.
  3. Kunalz

Kunalz

Thanks for the input, that is a pretty neat idea.

I thought of one thats kind of like a puzzle/thinking type of games for kids, basically there will be a scenario, lets say a lamp that is turned on and a person using a phone. So when the level starts an audio/voice assistant is given to the child ("Can you spot what is wasting power?"). The child can tap either the lamp or the guys phone, if they tap the lamp another voice will let them know of the outcome (audio: "Well done!, Because it is day time, there is no need to have the lamp on") then it moves on to the next level/scenario.

You can kinda see what I'm getting here and how tapping either right or wrong answer can help the child understand about energy saving with the aid of audio, and I been trying to find projects similar to my idea which is something I'm comfortable with. Regardless thank you and if you do know anything that might help me implement this type of game or an open source project, please let me know.

4. RobsonCozendey

RobsonCozendey

You can begin with the top-down view of a house.

There are several rooms, but following a pattern: there are rooms full of toys, connected to the wall jacks, surrounded by empty rooms.

All rooms begin lit up, and all toys begin off.

For each empty rooom that the kid turns off the lights, one toy connected to the wall jack at the adjacent room start to charge, and if the kid gets near that toy, he/she can play with it.

I think it can give a sense of exchange. :)