Search Unity

Help With "Ambiguity" Issue Please

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Seldkam, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Seldkam

Seldkam

Hi all, getting back into Unity after doing a small TTSimulator game. I've looked this up a few times but I'm no master coder and I couldn't find what I had to do to fix the "ambiguity between" the class names. Attached is the issue.

Edit: As a side note I found a way to fix this current issue but all that fix did was create another one, so I'd rather know if there's a perfect fix for this.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  2. MaxGuernseyIII

MaxGuernseyIII

This smells like some problem with the IDE. I'm assuming you don't have two copies of that class.

This question might be kind of naive but did you try closing and opening the IDE?

3. Seldkam

Seldkam

I did, I even restarted unity. As another bit of info, the Console in Unity itself says that "Player" has already been defined in 'global'... I've searched using ctrl + f in the whole project and the only "Player" class I can see is the public class Player you see at the top. Is there an easy way to find if I have more than 1 Player Class other than that?

I was wondering if I'm making my own Player class and unity has its own premade version. Could that be the problem? As I edited into the OP, changing that did fix the issue but then, it creates another issue elsewhere that I'd rather not have to get into.

4. Seldkam

Seldkam

Here's how I "fixed" the issue (with the other one that is created)

5. MaxGuernseyIII

MaxGuernseyIII

That's unlikely. I wrote a long, detailed paragraph on why and then replaced it with this: Take my word for it.

More likely is that you have
    Player
    defined in more than one place. Look around in your folder for two Player.cs scripts. More than likely they are complete or nearly-complete duplicates, as they both seem to define a field with the same name.

You could also try sharing your actual code, rather than pictures. Someone might sift through it and find the problem for you.

6. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

You've almost definitely got two classes named Player. You might be able to find the second one by going to the GameMaster.killPlayer(Player player) function and right-clicking on the word "Player" there and choosing "Go to definition". Or, press Ctrl+Shift+F and set the dropdown to "Search Entire Solution" and search for the word "Player".

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

It might be easier to find it using makeshiftwings method if you were to rename your known Player class temporarily to something else, and then try to find the other Player class as described.

8. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Right, I was assuming you had changed it to "PlayerCode" like in the second post.