Search Unity

Help with a .max file?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by dustbunnythumper, Feb 18, 2019.

1. dustbunnythumper

dustbunnythumper

I'm a little new to Unity, and I recently purchased a 3d file from Turbosquid that was in the .max file format. Unfortunately, I'm on an OSX computer, and wasn't able to open it or run 3dsmax on my system.

I asked for it to be converted to a Unity file, and it was forwarded to me as a Unity package. There was a prefab inside it, and I dragged the object into my scene, but I don't see it anywhere on the screen. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way I can get a .max file to a .fbx or something easier to work on without having 3dsmax?

Thanks.

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

There are conversion tools both online (a webpage) and offline applications that let you convert models from one format into another - I'd try those out and see if you can get them to work.

3. NicBischoff

NicBischoff

Email it to me: xx I’ll convert it for you.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  4. dustbunnythumper

dustbunnythumper

Thanks for the reply! Do you know the names of any of those websites? I wasn't able to find any that worked/were still onlne.

5. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

It's been a long time since I've used any, and I'm just assuming they are still around. Good old Google probably can pull up a few if you search "max conversion" or similar terms.

Edit: found this, haven't tried it though -
    https://apps.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/en/Detail/Index?id=4519001471484017681&appLang=en&os=Win32_64

I realise that's not ideal, and perhaps won't even work, but it looks like those online converters are becoming a thing of the past as I couldn't find an active one.

6. NicBischoff

NicBischoff

I sent you the file and you didn't reply...