Search Unity

Help, what do you do when an asset is suddenly no longer sold on unity store that you own?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the_unity_saga, Sep 14, 2021.

1. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

soo, some of my friends and I purchased from this company: http://www.art-coding.com/

and you can still google their links for some of their models on google typing something like:

'unity asset store fantasy Gargoyle model'

see: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/fantasy/gargoyle-fantasy-193464

and you can see their actual used-to-be-sold-on-unity-asset-store models here incase you think im making this all up for attention:

https://sketchfab.com/artcoding as little as like a few days ago? or little more.

so suddenly i realize that legally, i 'own' (read: LICENSED, for terms connected to asset store?? or did my purchase give me any long standing legal usage rights, or ONLY when its on the asset store??) some of their artwork.. but because their all pulled, im unable to DOWNLOAD something i LEGALLY PURCHASED??? can I still even use it or is that NO as well? :O

=======*INCOHERENT RAMBLING PART BELOW*============

im sure my caps are caused by me not realizing the unity Terms of Service, in that, if any dev decide to pull their asset from the store, it renders my use of the asset i purchased and held in good faith, null and void? competely?

so what if I had shipped a game with their asset? what if it was modified extensively?

im terrified of spending more dosh now, what do I do when something is pulled, delete all traces immediately? this is creepy, kinda like when the adam movie asset was puled from sale, i assume everyone who had it before had to delete it and not use it in commercial games as well??

can someone point this in the terms of service for the asset store? im now turned off from purchasing any models at all, which makes me cry.. ill just make my own art work i guess... ugh.....

========//END RAMBLE//================

VERY sorry for the long incoherent ramble ill clearly mark the section i get to rambling in this post

so like, im not even entitled to the funds I had given for these products? im creeped out

pls dont delete my post im not sure where you ask these questions on the forum i didnt find a "asset store policy and support" section on the forum...

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

You are buying the asset as it is now, you are not buying unlimited maintanence of the asset. A developer is not expected to keep it available forever. (And that would be insane, expecting for such small money unlimited support - its not like asset store developers make a lot of money, most struggle to make a living from it).

If you shipped a game with it, then you still have access to the asset so there is no problem. You can still use the files you have. Otherwise find something to replace it. And in future dont invest in something without being assured it either will be around long enough for you to use, or expect to maintain it yourself if not.

Better yet, do what a lot of professionals do and do not rely on the asset store for anything, if you can help it. Minimising reliance on third party assets and services is always a good thing to try and do.

If you want to buy 3D models, actually hire a freelance artist over something like upwork, instead of buying premade models from a store. Then you will own it forever too, and not look generic.

For this case: Contact the developer, nobody here can help you. They will likely send the files if you can provide reciepts of purchase, regardless of store.

the_unity_saga and Joe-Censored like this.
  3. Acissathar

Acissathar

In general, you'll still have access to deprecated stuff to download to use. You just can't buy it anymore (and likely won't get future support from the dev either). For example:
    upload_2021-9-14_10-50-6.png

Now your item from Art-Coding, however, is different, because Art-Coding appeared to be a bunch of pirated models:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/list-of-ripped-models-stolen-models-on-the-asset-store.1163021/

According to this thread you should be receiving a personalized email from Unity, but I would follow up with them to be sure. Since these were pirated models, don't use them at all, but you should also get a refund.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. You did not purchase a product. You purchased a license to use the product. Your license will continue to be valid just like someone who purchased Windows 95 will continue to have a valid license for Windows 95. You just won't receive anything new for it from the developer.

That said even if it were a product you purchased it would be unreasonable to expect said product to be supported till the end of time. When you purchase an application, for example, you are offered an extended warranty but even with the extended warranty support eventually stops.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you have already bought the asset, you can continue using it as long as you want. The only real downside is you're not getting any further support, but I'd recommend treating any asset that way anyways. Expect to need to self support any asset you purchase.

the_unity_saga likes this.
  6. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

ah yea you are 100% totally right

i actually use the majority of assets as a base so i can... time efficiently.. (hehe) modify and use (re-texture, combine, mix and match, etc) my own creations with an asset base.

i was just concerned because the asset also cant be imported anymore, but i made backups, so i guess ill treat this as if adobe suddenly make photoshop CS2 unavailable for download or something but i can still use it along with the license i had when i first purchased them on the asset store? even if i can no longer import them?

7. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

oh sheesh

ughh................ thanks for this post