Search Unity

Help us: vote for Unity at DevMaster.com

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David-Helgason, Jun 29, 2006.

1. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Dear community,

For some inexplicable reason Unity isn't yet on the top 10 of engines at DevMaster.com. We would like to fix that for the furtherment of Unity in the world (benefitting all of us).

The solution is simple and we'd be extremely thankful if all of you did this: go to http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=256 and at the bottom of the page click "Write your own review for this engine". A free forum registration is required, then log tell the world what you think of Unity in a few words, and give Unity the great rating it deserves.

In a snap Unity should be semi-permanently lodged on the front page of DevMaster, and will be all the buzz for the next 10 years.

Amen ;)

d.

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Of course in order to put Unity at the top we really would like to get 5 stars in all of the sections. :)

The ratings on the site are already quite skewed; something like torque sometimes gets 5 stars in usability!?

3. drJones

drJones

LOL that's lame. I don't know about anyone else, but i'm instantly suspicious of any review that's all "perfection lollypops". on devmaster at least being in the top 10 will get you tons more traffic already as you're listed on the main page then. i think a good but honest review will get you more users though.

PS I did rethink my ease of use rating changed it to 5.

4. taumel

taumel

Will this really help ya? I mean Devmasters is really a little bit a kind of a joke. More a site for people who have too much time and are about to waste some more.

I wouldn't dare a site with such outdated information...

5. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Every little bit helps.

6. taumel

taumel

Well, if you say so... :O)

*update*
    Maybe you should also update the information provided about unity there...as i said Devmaster's informations are outdated... ;O)

7. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Thanks for all the nice reviews guys. Only 70 more left to go until we are number 1.
    I know we can do it. :)

8. Morgan

Morgan

I registered as Morgan360 and submitted my review ("The tool I have been waiting years for") but it posted as an anonymous guest review... which I didn't think was possible!

I saved my review, so if it gets deleted as a result of the glitch, I'll try again later.

9. Samantha

Samantha

I think the prices need to be updated on the engine page. Pro appears to be 999 according to the site.

10. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

I already submitted an update... they require some editor to actually change the info, so it's still pending.

d.

11. pete

pete

>>Only 70 more left
    woot! i made it 69!

12. taumel

taumel

@David
    Ohh if it's a hassle there i suggest you just alter the price on the otee site! ;O)

13. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

2 more and we are in the top 10.
    69 more and we are number 1.

GoGoGo. :)

14. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

We made it to top 10 Yay!

15. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Thank god.

It's incredible to have the best community in the world.

16. Rhuantavan

Rhuantavan

With such a great engine support it's hard to be an impassive community :)

17. Morgan

Morgan

Congratulations. What a weird system, if top 10 means "number of reviews submitted," but I'm sure the actual ratings are among the highest too :)

(Did Pro just go up in price?)

18. mjjw

mjjw

My review bumped you up to position 9

19. Richard_B

Richard_B

Posted :)

Richard.

20. Pavlov

Pavlov

Just added my two cents for what it's worth. Looks like we're up to a whopping 12 people. At least it's in the top 10.

21. Richard_B

Richard_B

I seem to recall some other project that started with just 12 followers :)

22. Pavlov

Pavlov

Now that was funny. Whoo-hoo, just went to number 8.

23. Morgan

Morgan

5 more reviews would put it in the top 5.

Another 2 would tie for 4th.

After that... maybe someday :)

24. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

How could I resist? Unity plus some dedication has catapulted my partner and I from amateur into professionals. (Still getting used to it. :) )

The more I've done to try and help Unity the more Unity has helped me. I'd really recommend giving it a shot. :)

-Jon

25. Morgan

Morgan

Hmmm... my review vanished, and in its place is a repeat of aaronsullivan's review, but without any author name!

I had the feeling there was a glitch in their system when I submitted. I will try again.

EDIT: OK, I sumbitted a new review, and after three more tries it did appear, this time with my name on it (and in the middle of the list rather than at the end where it would normally go). And the doppleganger aaronsullivan vanished, but now elsewhere in the list some new review has appeared that has no name on it (but is not a duplicate).

I guess their system is just messed up :) If you post a review, keep a copy and check back later: if it shows up without your name attached to it, it may get eaten.

26. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Wow. I'm blown away. In less than 24 hours you put us on 7th position. Thanks guys.

d.

PS. And keep these reviews coming, it doesn't have to take more than 5 minutes, and we're extremely thankful for each and every one.

27. pete

pete

well you guys rock! i'm just surprised they haven't complained about spamming their board!

28. Morgan

Morgan

They should be glad this game dev community has heard about THEM finally :) Separate honest reviews from separate people isn't spam anyway. Just catching up from the long absence of Unity users on their site.

29. Sync1B

Sync1B

No thank Unity! Submitting now... :D

Bill

30. Morgan

Morgan

31. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

You ara amazing. Yay.

d.

32. Morgan

Morgan

Some interesting stats (to be taken with a grain of salt) from their database:

3D game engines for Windows: 198.

3D game engines for Mac: 40. (Puts some perspective on the "Macs have no software" myth.)

They also categorize engines by status: Inactive (which some of the Top 10 are), Alpha, Beta, or Productive/Stable.

Productive/Stable 3D game engines for Windows: 20.

Productive/Stable 3D game engines for Mac: 19.

What about Linux? 74 engines, 31 Productive/Stable.

And cross-platform? 34 engines for both Mac and Windows, 19 Productive/Stable. (In other words, no Mac-only engines made the grade.)

A more useful search: cross-platform, Productive/Stable, with built-in editor, rigid physics, pixel shaders, skeletal animation, and particles. Three. But Unity didn't come up, so better get those details up to date :) See the Search page to know the terms they use in their database: http://www.devmaster.net/engines/search.php

33. Marble

Marble

Interesting analysis, Morgan. What's the deal with their listed scripting languages? python?

Unity has been a real champion for Mac users. I felt so proud writing my comments that I got a bit too sentimental.