Search Unity

Question Help Unity create extra bones when import rig model from Maya

Discussion in 'Animation Rigging' started by fiatwiriya, Jun 30, 2021.

1. fiatwiriya

fiatwiriya

Hi I'm pretty new to rigging. So I just rigged a character model and try to import to unity. Everything seem to be working but when I check bone renderer in Unity there are a few extra bone that should not be there. Any suggestions ? thank you so much for your help

In maya
    Screenshot 2021-06-30 165539.png

In Unity with bone renderer
    Screenshot 2021-06-30 165614.png

2. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

Yep. That is correct but not what works.
    Here is the Blender group that talks about the fix: https://discord.gg/7QwQS5x5
    I use Blender, Mixamo, Umotion and FinalIK because I need fingers and facial movements.
    These requirement start the biggest of nightmares as not many developers are needing these.
    The path that you have taken is fraught with immense unknowns.
    I started 3 years ago with an idea. 2 years ago I just started digging into the software processes. 1 year ago I had to really dig into my work. Over the last 6 months I tried and tried all the obvious attempts. Don't even bother. Because when you get to the Unity animations you will find things that don't work based upon previous unknown options or corrections you don't know or understand now. Not judging. The headaches, time suck, and frustrations are real.
    The connection is based on the bone names and hierarchy and THEN the switches.
    The RTFM and 'You just have to figure it out' are not acceptable answers. Also you have to realize what camp the posters are in, i.e. Maya, Blender, Acad version and no concept of standards or their work ending up outside their work environment.
    The mentioned apps create their own rigs but Unity is particular as to what it wants. Finding cohesive documenation about this is a job. That is why I posted the pic.
    Just a fair warning here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  3. davehunt_unity

davehunt_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, you can easily fix this so the bone renderer doesn't display unwanted transforms as bones. To do this, select the game object with the Bone Renderer component. In the Inspector expand the Transforms section and you can right-click on any transform you don't want to see as a bone and Delete Array Element. Sometimes I like to add the Bone Renderer component to the hips bone directly in order to avoid showing the top level transforms.