Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Help understanding the limitations/possibilities of the LEGO in Unity

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by BrianHL, Dec 6, 2020.

1. BrianHL

BrianHL

Hello knowledgeable people, please help a newbie understand what is/not possible here.
    I run a training business that has worked offline for 30 years developing physical simulations that make amazing change in understanding and management skills. With Covid-19, the classroom training is dead, and we are migrating our work online, where we can. The introduction of Lego in Unity made me think that this could solve a major issue, enabling me to take an existing simulation online, but I am not yet clear what is possible and what is not. I want to do the following:

a. Create an environment in Unity with quantities of LEGO components.
    b. Invite groups of 20-30 naive, non-user participants into the environment at a time, where they will be able to pick up and move Lego blocks, build structures, and possibly use some of the additional action blocks as well.

The key thing is that Lego is something everyone understands, so the learning curve for total newbies should be short, and the context looks familiar. This would enable us to focus on the learning outcomes of the exercise, which are around how the team works together, not on the technology. I need them *not to* have to create an account, or learn to use Unity or the Lego game-creation interface. On the other hand, I do want them to be able to use Lego blocks as they would in the physical world, since that is familiar to all, stacking them and snapping them together.

If the Lego extension in Unity does not enable me to do this, is there a simple way to replicate that functionality in Unity? If a seasoned programmer could create a set of blocks for me, that snap together in similar ways to Lego blocks, and that come in a range of colours and sizes, I would presumably be able to use this with a crowd of newbies....?

All suggestions will be very gratefully received. I tried sending this question to Unity, but have had no response.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020