Search Unity

Bug Help Understanding crash data relating to new hair system

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Resiliarc, Sep 26, 2022.

  1. Resiliarc


    Sep 16, 2018
    Hello, this is my first post on the forums so apologies if I make any mistakes regarding processes or proper location of the thread.

    I've been having a pretty irritating problem with constant crashing recently while experimenting around with the new hair rendering system demo, of course as it is a demo crashes are to be expected but for the life of me I cant figure this one out and despite my best attempts, my google-fu is coming up short.

    I've been attempting to get both the new hair rendering system (which looks very promising) to work with ray tracing.
    I've been in the process of planning a cinematic project (short film based on an old bullet hell game) using the two systems to render ray traced environments with characters using the hair system.

    Using both systems together seems to cause an access violation related to my NVidia drivers which crashes the editor constantly, sometimes I open the project and it instantly crashes and sometimes I can spend a few minutes with it open before it crashes after trying to alter a material, shader, or lighting among many other things. There is no one singular trigger for the crash, those example just seem to be the most common.

    Each system works fine without crashing independently of each other and only crashes when both are active together.

    The hair strands object requires me to manually turn the mesh rendering ray tracing mode to "off" as it throws a warning but that's fine as it doesn't seem to be the cause of the crash and I don't need the hair itself to be included in the ray tracing system, just for the two to work in tandem within the scene.

    I've been able to reproduce this on 2 different machines with different specs across many different engine versions from the most recent stable build to the newest alpha build and always get the same crash and debug information.

    I've tried everything I can think of or find online, all kinds of different drivers, repairing system files, memory diagnostics, registry clean up and more without any success so all I can think of is that there is some sort of interaction between the two systems that is causing the access violation.

    I'll have the most recent crash .DMP file attached along side a text file with my own debugging analysis from WinDbg.

    I've already submitted a bug report but all that happened was what looked like an automated response sending me to a 6 year old report that boiled down to "update drivers", of course I've already done that over and over so I'm hoping someone here can help.
    For clarity here's the report reference ID: IN-17092

    Thankfully with all the character and environment modelling I've got to do for this project I have a decent amount time before rendering with both systems becomes essential as its more for the final render, but i figure bringing this up early would be the best thing to do.

    Cheers in advance.

    Attached Files: