Search Unity

Help Required - Maya to Unity Prop Animation for Humanoid

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Lukes3DWorks, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Lukes3DWorks

Lukes3DWorks

Hello, this is my first post on the forums so I apologize if this might be in the wrong place.

I am relatively new to animating for the Unity game engine and my problem is as follows:

I have a character who is strafing in a direction and have animated a sword prop on his back to follow.
    The character and sword have different hierarchies (the sword is not parented under any of the character joints) with the sword being skinned to a joint with a hierarchy looking as such:

Sword_Constraint_JNT -> Sword_Control_JNT (Skin Bind Joint)

The "Constraint_JNT" is constrained to the chest and then baked to plot the keys, the "Control_JNT" is used to give some secondary action during motion.

Now, when I export the animation for the character and sword to unity (as well as a clean non-animated file with the skinned geometry for both items) and create a "Humanoid" rig, the character follows perfectly. After many hours I saw I had to use "Masks" to animate joints not connected to the character.
    But the sword is always at weird offsets to the character, sometimes appearing to have double translation or only the constraint animation may work, ignoring the secondary action.

I want to use the Humanoid rig but I want to keep my Maya prop animation together in one file so I don't have two animation controllers to use. How do I get my prop to match my Maya scene?

If there is any other information you need I'll try to supply it and thank you.