Search Unity

Help regarding Game Design softwares plz

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Daryn-Flannery, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Daryn-Flannery

Daryn-Flannery

Hello. I am new to UNITY.

I am wondering if UNITY Engine has a decent built-in graphic design maker and editor? It seems so.
    Is it recommended to use UNITY animator and graphic design for actual game making? Say for object design, map design, and character design.

I read that enough developers like MAYA software; and work in that, only to transfer it over to UNITY.

Really; I am just looking for a half decent, and not too pricey Graphic creating software to make a 3D game with. UNITY seems like it has some graphical tools; but I am so new, and it seems pretty simple. Not very robust for higher end graphical creations.

MAYA is like $165 a month to use their software. I can't afford that.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Blender is free in every sense of the word and has a massive amount of tutorials. For 2D stuff, GIMP is also free. The only built in modeling tools in Unity are pretty much for prototyping and not much else.

SparrowGS likes this.
  3. Daryn-Flannery

Daryn-Flannery

Blender is for 2D huh.

I read you about UNITY model tooling. Darn.

Murgilod. What about 3D modeling tool software? Are there any other options, rather MAYA? Anything 3D but cheaper. A software that has graphical strength which does not look like something prior to 2014 visually. I am going for realism. Character modeling and world environment.

Also; MAYA. THey charge monthly. Which is really annoying. I am looking for something where I can just buy a package, one time. None of this 'monthly subscription' or yearly subscription stuff.

4. You never heard of Blender? Wow. Please, check it out, It's a 3D modeling software.

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Blender is 3D modeling software, serving the same purpose as Maya.
    Gimp is 2D image editing, serving the same purpose as Photoshop.
    Both are free open source software.

Unity now includes ProBuilder, which is useful for creating relatively simple models inside the editor, but doesn't have the same features as dedicated modeling software.

6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Yup, and what your looking for is blender. Its 3d but can also do 2d. But its mostly for 3d and its free. Good luck.

7. Daryn-Flannery

Daryn-Flannery

Hey yes, thank you everyone.

This is what I was looking for and wondering about Blender, if it was 3D modeling or not.
    I will likely go with this then for my design modelling. And then port all that into UNITY. I will just use the ProBuilder for 'place holder' graphics; until I can implement the proper models and meshes, etc.

8. Daryn-Flannery

Daryn-Flannery

Um, hey; but another question actually.

In using Blender then; what is better for Application Device to use? Should I use Tablet and stylo pen for the design art? Or go with 'mouse', and design draw via my PC desktop and screen?

9. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

What ever works for you, try all the things - see wha you like best.

Joe-Censored and Antypodish like this.