Search Unity

Help reading the command line arguments in Unity

Discussion in 'Android' started by hoihoi8, Jun 4, 2015.

1. hoihoi8

hoihoi8

Hello,
    Any suggestions? I'm having trouble getting command line arguments out of my Android app. I am starting my Unity app with

Code (CSharp):
    1. ${ADBPATH} -s $DeviceId shell monkey -p my.app -c android.intent.category.LAUNCHER 1 -e automation true

In my Unity on startup I have
    Code (CSharp):
    1. string extraIntentText = getAndroidArguments();
    3.             if(extraIntentText.Contains("automation") && extraIntentText.Contains("true"))
    5.             {
    7.                 //start my automation
    8.             }
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private string getAndroidArguments()
    3.         {
    5.             string extraText = "";
    7.             using (AndroidJavaClass unity_player = new AndroidJavaClass("com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer"))
    9.             {
    11.                 var currentActivity = new AndroidJavaClass("com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer").GetStatic<AndroidJavaObject>("currentActivity");
    13.                 var intent = currentActivity.Call<AndroidJavaObject>("getIntent");
    15.                 var type = intent.Call<string>("getType");
    19.                 if (type == "text/plain") {
    21.                     extraText = intent.Call<string>("getStringExtra", "android.intent.extra.TEXT" );
    23.                 }
    25.             }
    29.             return extraText;
    31.         }

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  2. liortal

liortal

From what you posted, it looks like you are running the Android "monkey" runner.
    By looking at the docs, I don't see any option that you can pass extras like you showed (with the -e switch): http://developer.android.com/tools/help/monkey.html

Are you sure that this option is valid?

Regarding your C# code, you are getting the Intent object, but what are you returning? in the command line, you are passing a single extra. you should probably check for its existence and return it..

3. hoihoi8

hoihoi8

Hi,
    You were correct. Monkey Runner didn't accept command line arguments. I've changed my launch command to

Code (CSharp):
    1. ${ADBPATH} -s $DeviceId shell am start my.app/my.activity -e automation true
    I'm still working on getting the C# code working.

4. liortal

liortal

This is better. This command means you are launching your game (the activity you specified) and pass in an extra called automation with a value of true. I believe that if you only specify -e, the value is passed as a string (see the docs here: http://www.phonesdevelopers.com/1780676/)

I think the command you should invoke is this:

${ADBPATH} -s $DeviceId shell am start my.app/my.activity --ez automation true

this will pass the value as a boolean.

Now for the C# code - your code attempts to grab all the arguments as a single string. I don't think that is possible. The "extras" you pass into the Intent are more like a dictionary of key-value. You should be checking for the existence of the "automation" key, with a value of true:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private bool GetBoolValue(string extraKey, bool defaultValue)
    2. {
    3.     using (var player = new AndroidJavaClass("com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer"))
    4.     {
    5.         using (var activity = player.GetStatic<AndroidJavaObject>("currentActivity"))
    6.         {
    7.             using (var intent = activity.Call<AndroidJavaObject>("getIntent"))
    8.             {
    9.                 return intent.Call<bool>("getBooleanExtra", extraKey, defaultValue);
    10.             }          
    11.         }
    12.     }
    13. }
    Then you could use this code to detect if "automation" was passed as true:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (GetBoolValue("automation", false))
    2. {
    3.     // Logic here
    4. }
    This is just from the top of my head, i didn't test this. Let me know if that worked.