Search Unity

Help Please

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by RLBethel, Dec 24, 2011.

1. RLBethel

RLBethel

I fired up my new computer and downloaded blender3d. I still don't have a 3 button mouse but I saw how to set up the mouse like a 3 button mouse. If I get a Space Navigator mouse for blender, would I need a 3 button mouse for Unity3d? Also would a trackball mouse work with these programs. It might eliminate the need to get the Space Navigator. Will be downloading Unity 3d soon.

2. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

i use unity with a macbook pro multi touch track pad , so i would say ,no you dont need a 3 button mouse for unity

3. Jessy

Jessy

No. It's helpful, but keyboard + pointing device work fine too.

Of course. It's essentially the same thing as a mouse or non-multitouch trackpad.

That's not true at all; they are not the same kind of input device.

Blender and Unity do not have 3D in their names.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  4. HolBol

HolBol

Using a 3 button mouse for EVERYTHING is a wise idea.

5. RLBethel

RLBethel

So what re my opions for a 3 button mouse

6. ArcainOne

ArcainOne

Honestly if you where going to pay for a space navigator I highly suggest Razor's Wireless Naga. yes it is a gaming mouse but if you are using blender having the numpad RIGHT THERE at your thumb is just incredibly productive! Plus its ability to switch between wired or wireless is nice and it is very responsive and smooth. And their website states it is for PC or MAC.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AM5RAM...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B004AM5RAM

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  7. HolBol

HolBol

I would never pay that for a mouse. Ever.

8. ivanzu

ivanzu

Not worth it you can work the same as with normal mouse,and I would never buy that much expensive mouse rather buy a tablet.I payed a lot for expensive high tech Microsoft mouse and it brake down in 3months so not worth it.

9. ArcainOne

ArcainOne

Yeah... thats microsoft. And let me tell you one thing. If you are experienced with Blender you know the keyboard short cuts are heavily utilized and that the num pad is used a lot to switch between your different views; Front, Right, Top, Bottom, Perspective, Orthogonal, etc. Having that num pad on the side of the mouse (as I said before) is a HUGE efficiency booster. Not to mention Num Pad period is used to center the rotation of the view around what ever you have selected... again HUGE efficiency boost to NEVER have to move your right hand off the mouse as it is the suggested position for working with Blender, left hand on Keyboard right hand on mouse and rarely do you ever need to move them. So to say "you can work the same as with normal mouse" is an unsupported claim on your part. Being that I not only own this mouse but have owned standard mice as well I believe my EXPERIENCE overrides your opinion.

Now I wasn't thinking about the cheap version of the space navigator... I was only thinking of the 300 dollars space pilot. Still the price isn't far off. And if you are a gamer as I am naga is pretty awesome.

10. larvantholos

larvantholos

If your gonna buy an expensive mouse, go logitetch. Currently using performance MX mice, love em, have my third button setup on the extra thumb button, feels more natural in terms of navigation in my 3d apps.

11. ArcainOne

ArcainOne

True, Logitech is fantastic and I own 2 of them, only because my old one was cosmetically damaged over time. Still works but use it as a backup... backup mouse... Still like the Naga better :p

Actually I'm a wireless person, major reason I picked up the naga was because my second mouse the MX started to skip when I moved the transceiver to the back of my computer. Naga runs wired and wireless.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  12. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

FWIW, I never use a mouse at all with Unity - only a Wacom/Pen and Keyboard. Love it. A single button pointer would be ... tougher, but perfectly do-able. Look thru the docs on how to navigate in the editor for things like: click the hand icon and one can pan, rotate and scale using the mouse with control option modifiers. Blender is another issue, but Unity? Single click device should be fine.

With Blender, a three button mouse should be good (tho' I exclusively use a Wacom/Pen setup there too). If you don't have one, however, I'd buy a USB keypad for your Notebook.