Search Unity

Help Please: Enlighten Real-time GI on iPhone 6s

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by studio1h, Jan 3, 2019.

1. studio1h

studio1h

I've run into a strange lighting issue with real-time GI on iPhone 6s. When baking a scene with 1 directional light (sun), using real-time GI only, scenes look blown out when viewed on my iPhone 6s. They look fine on my Mac and on my iPhone XS, but totally different on the iPhone 6s. Any idea why this is happening?

I'm using the Microsplat terrain shader. At first, I thought it was an issue with MicroSplat. I contacted the developer (Jason Booth) and he has assured me that there is no lighting specific code in his terrain shader. As a result, he maintains there is no way this can be a Microsplat related issue. That said, this does not happen when using the builtin Unity terrain shader, only when using MicroSplat. Here's a screenshot which shows the issue:

That screenshot is from a fresh new Unity project with nothing in it except MicroSplat. All default project settings. Just built for iOS and then screenshoted on each device.

Unity 2018.2.20f1
    Xcode 10.1
    MicroSplat 2.2
    Lighting: gamma

Please note, I've done this same test with linear lighting and I get the same result. I've also done this test with Unity 2018.3 and get the same result there, as well.

Is this an Enlighten bug? Something else?

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Enlighten will output the same realtime lightmap data on the two iPhone modes and our QA have specifically tested that realtime GI works on the 6S. If possible, please do some GPU captures and attach them to a bug report. We suspect this might be driver related, and a capture could help immensely. Thanks!

3. studio1h

studio1h

When you say "please do some GPU captures" do you mean capture some profiler data including a GPU profiler? If so, I've done that, but I get "GPU profiling is not supported by the graphics card driver. Please update to a newer version if available". I'm guessing that means that the iPhone 6s' graphics card doesn't support GPU profiling. Either way, I'm attaching the profiler data I captured to this post just in case you can glean something relevant from it.

Anything else you'd like me to do on this end?

Thanks very much for your help!

Attached Files:

4. studio1h

studio1h

I also filed a bug report, as requested.

5. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Thanks a lot, what is the case number?

Sorry for not being clear, I meant an xcode GPU capture on the 6s. Thanks!

6. studio1h

studio1h

The case number is 1119673

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  7. studio1h

studio1h

OK, I did a GPU capture on the iPhone 6s in Xcode, and I added it to my bug report (case number 1119673).

If you have any other questions, or if you need anything else, please let me know.

Thanks again for all your help on this!!!

KEngelstoft likes this.
  8. studio1h

studio1h

Quick update: I have now run tests on both the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 6. The bug does not affect either of them. So far, the bug only seems to affect the iPhone 6s.

KEngelstoft likes this.
  9. studio1h

studio1h

Another update: I got an iPhone 7 for testing. The bug does not affect the iPhone 7. At this point, I've tested on the following iPhone models:

iPhone 5s
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6s
    iPhone 7
    iPhone X
    iPhone XS

The bug ONLY affects the iPhone 6s.

10. MattVLSG

MattVLSG

Hello - was there any resolution to this? Or any ideas as to why this happens?

We're hitting the same problem where shaders appear overbright (which looks like similar case in the OP images) on the iPhone6S only. No other iOS or Android devices exhibits the issue.

11. studio1h

studio1h

Sadly, Unity has decided not to fix this bug. I filed a bug report (Case 1119673) and this is the response I received on July 1st:
    Interesting that I got this response 2 days before Unity deprecated Enlighten: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/07/0...-for-baked-and-real-time-giobal-illumination/

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  12. MattVLSG

MattVLSG

Ah ok - well thanks for the update!

studio1h likes this.