Search Unity

Help needed: Unity Editor Flickering and buggy. Hard to describe: See attached Video!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by pixhellmann, Jun 22, 2012.

1. pixhellmann

pixhellmann

Hi there great Unity Community,

I have a really strange bug/problem:
    see this video please: http://youtu.be/gHXc2O-JkIQ
    the framerate of the video didn't captured the flickering..
    but you see in the middle of the video that the scene is drawn over the inspector and some little glitches.

I have a Dell XPS 15 L502X with Intel HD3000 and Geforce 540M graphiccards.
    I am sure that Unity is running with the geforce.

I have the newest drivers. Reinstalled Unity, Restartet MANY times.
    And the weirded thing is: some days it just works and some days not..
    I really dont know what to do.

Btw I have the Pro Version! And the Problem is just occuring since last week.
    Perhaps my graphiccard is broken or something has changed. But I can't think of anything I did.

If you have ANY idea, I would really appreciate your answer!

Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  2. Obumbrata

Obumbrata

Same issue here, did you get a fix?

3. bloomingdedalus

bloomingdedalus

I'm dying to find a way to fix this...

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Same problem here. Bumping it up, because I found a sort of fix. It does reduce the flickering. Althou the scene game window can't be shown at the same time.

Fix 1. Go to the start menu. Left bottom windows key.
    search nvidia control panel.(or something like that, could be different. I hate it that my programs are in my native language >.<)
    go to Manage 3D settings in 3D settings.
    go to the tab 'Program Settings'
    Select Unity.
    at point 2, select high performance nvidia processor(since the problem is mostly accruing with nvidia cards.)
    Now do the same settings as below.
    $69d7ed119358d81241cf23e84650fde2.png

By all means, this isn't a complete fix. Although it helped me to at least reduce it a bit.

Fix 2, This is even worse. Just tried it out with the integrated video card. Runs great. Although my game is like 1 level. It can be great for people who are just trying it out ;). I can imagine that I could be lagging for some people!

Right click on the unity program.(Be sure to have the original program, not the Shortcut)
    Select Run with Graphic processor(again could be different.)
    Select your integrated video card.

Let me know if this fixes anything!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2014
    KesterEvers likes this.
  5. PandSkin0141

PandSkin0141

Ok people here is the two things that helped with me (I have the same glitch/problem):
    1. My pc was set to best performance so it doesnt lag too much and that was causing my problem to fix it Click on the Start Menu (win 7) Right click computer and choose Properties then on the left you will see list of things Click on Advanced System settings. Go under the Advanced Tab then under Performance click Settings. Go under Visual Effects and check Adjust for best apperance wait it and its done. Now there is a thing with this one It MAY slow you pc a little bit. (its not sure if this will help!!!)
    2.So the second thingg is if you have two graphic cards this is a problem for unity (bad development) to fix it you have to simply run unity with your Integrated Card to do that just click on the unity .exe (NOT THE SHORTCUT) and under "Run with graphics processor" choose integrated graphics. But there is also a thing with this one It will make Unity Ugly by ugly I mean the graphics and thumbnails will be bad when testing the game the fps will be terrible and so on but it will surely fix your problem with the flickering.
    Just hold on until Unity devs fix it for good.
    Good luck and Bump this if it helped!

6. MiDuS

MiDuS

I have also same problem.

Asus ROG G752vy -Win 10 -Unity 5.3.3 -i7 CPU -Gtx 980m 8gb -16 gb ram

Working fine when dx11 is disabled, but why is it like that.? can someone please help me ?

i have another old laptop with gtx 970m, i7, win 10, 8gb RAM, and Unity 5.3.3 working fine with dx11 on my old laptop. :(

7. IcyBones

IcyBones

I am also having this issue on my laptop.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-Win 10 Unity 5.3.4 i7 - Gtx 970m

I tried to run it using the integrated card as PandSkin0141 mentioned, yet I still have the same issues.

8. jellevda

jellevda

I've been having the same issues on my Desktop machine:
    Asus Maximus Hero VIII | i7 6700K | 32 GB RAM | GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Windows 8.1 Pro

I tried pretty much everything:
    • adding Unity specific settings in the Nvidia Control Panel
    • launching Unity with the -force-opengl tag
    • Disabling onboard Intel graphics in Device Manager
    • and a bunch of other tweaks I can't remember
    Anyway it turned out to be a silly little startup app for the onboard Asus sound called Sonic Studio. As soon as I terminated the app and restarted Unity Everything was fine again. No more UI refresh problems and Editor FPS had gone up from about 50 fps to 350 fps.
    I know it's most likely not a solution for everyone. But it might lead you in the right direction.

Good Luck guys!

southd likes this.
  9. Michiyuki13

Michiyuki13

Same problems inside the editor on MSI GE72 Apache Pro-Win 10

Also, experiencing a frame rate drop. The same scene on an old HP laptop with an AMD runs twice as fast :/

10. chronocide

chronocide

I noticed a couple people with ROG monitors complaining about this, so I thought "Oh, maybe it's G-Sync". Disabled G-Sync, flickering is gone.

I was hoping it was because I recently check the "Enable G-SYNC for windowed and full screen mode" option, and that switching back to full screen only would solve it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess the latest driver I installed caused this? Hard to say.

Edit: Just tried disabled G-Sync, rebooting, and turning it back on in full screen only and it seems to have work. Huurah!

mathynda likes this.
  11. southd

southd

launching Unity with the -force-opengl tag worked for me. Thank you!

UnknownDev37 likes this.
  12. ShakilBinKarim

ShakilBinKarim

Disabling G-Sync for windowed mode seems to have solved the issue for me

UnknownDev37 and DG-Ak0 like this.
  13. Jean-Of-mArc

Jean-Of-mArc

Worked for me too, thanks again!

14. CottonKy

CottonKy

It was G-Sync causing the problem for me as well. I disabled G-Sync only for unity.exe and relaunched unity then it works fine.

15. abandon_games

abandon_games

Yep same here - G-Sync was causing this issue for me, either need to disable G-Sync for the Unity editor specifically or only enable G-Sync for full screen mode (since the editor runs in windowed mode).

16. SamuelPoulin

SamuelPoulin

Disabling G-Sync specifically for Unity.exe in NCP did it for me too! Thanks for the help.

17. dazaizone

dazaizone

hi , how to disble g sync?

18. dazaizone

dazaizone

oh my bad I am using laptop that's why... I am still having this flickering issue

19. pastuhLT

pastuhLT

Simple fix..
    1: Open Nvidia control panel, select menu: Manage 3D settings
    2: Select tab "Program Settings", choose program: Blender
    3: Find "Monitor Technology" and switch to "Fixed Refresh"
    4: Click Apply