Search Unity

Help me with my game!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HomelessShrimps, Mar 14, 2016.

1. HomelessShrimps

HomelessShrimps

Hey!

I just recently published my first game Bunnyhop free on Google Play and I'm asking your help on growing a bigger user base behind it.

Right now I'm running a giveaway on my facebook page and will be giving away some cool Bunnyhop merch on 25. March.
    Check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/bunnyhopmobilegame/

Before publishing I also built a website to attract more people to my game.

I also ordered pens with Bunnyhop logos and designed some posters that are yet to be printed. Also paid facebook some money, so I'd get advertised.

Every once in a while I get contacted by some websites asking me if I want them to write a review on my game. I return they of course want a lot of money. ($100+)

I'm slowly starting to run low on the money I saved up for all the marketing expences.
    So my question to you guys is... what else would you recommend me to do? What have you tried/done to get your game off the ground?
    Some of you must have some great experiences.

Best regards,
    Paul

2. ng93

ng93

I'd suggest making a new icon, focusing on something unique or interesting about the game (e.g. rabbits in suits). The current icon just looks "generic platformer" and there are a lot of those on google play.

Ryiah and HomelessShrimps like this.
  3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I'm not a facebook user - however you may consider posting/advertising on pages that are focused on women who have young children - whatever your games age demographic is.
    The game is definitely geared towards younger people so - go and advertise where they are - or where there mommy's are. ;)

I've read unless it's a substantial amount - giving money to facebook is just as good as setting it on fire.

4. yoonitee

yoonitee

Is it a free game?

Because if you are making money through advertising it doesn't really make business sense to spend your profits on advertising...

Looks like a nice little game. Although personally I think the grey backgrounds of the score is a bit too serious a colour.

Also, its called "BunnyHop" but the icon doesn't have a bunny in it???? I think if you put a bunny in the icon it will attract lots more people for free.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    HomelessShrimps and theANMATOR2b like this.
  5. AntoineDesbiens

AntoineDesbiens

Getting visibility is a massive pain on mobile. I'm not sure how google play works, but the following applies for the App Store.

There's an editorial team responsible for managing the pages displaying featured apps. Getting in touch with them to let them know how great your app is helps. Possibly the same applies for Google Play?

TouchArcade.com has created an android forum lately. Send them a tip, wait to see if they put your game in the weekly releases. If they don't, put it up yourself in the forums (following proper formatting). Many reviewers sit on TA waiting for great games to pop out so they can write a review about them.

Create contacts! Publishers, reviewers, youtubers, anything! Get more cards to play on every releases! Every contact you make is an additional card on your deck that you can play on every releases. Treat all of your contacts respectfully, as business partners. Remember that your products have to be valuable to their eyes as well.

HomelessShrimps and theANMATOR2b like this.
  6. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Sounds a bit like fraud to me.
    Afaik bigger review websites live from visitors coming to their site for good reviews and if so can get a free copy of the game (if paid) and/or codes to unlock stuff (if IAP) to write a review to keep their site alive.
    And smaller ones wouldn't be worth to pay this much since it won't help much.

I think I'd rather put $100+ in mobile ad banners then, when it's a mobile game.

HomelessShrimps likes this.
  7. HomelessShrimps

HomelessShrimps

Thank you for that suggestion! It makes sense to be honest. I will do that in the near future. :)

I've posted in several groups on facebook already. Many of them have restrictions on what you can post, because it could be taken as advertisement.
    But I haven't thought about posting in such groups where childrens' mommy's might be. :)

Yes, it is a free game and tbh I haven't made any profit. All the money I've spent on advertisement I saved up from different sources.
    I just wanted to give the game a little boost by spending on advertisement.

You are right about the grey backgrounds, I haven't thought about it in that way. I shall change that.

And I will change the icon in the future as I said above.

I think it isn't that simple on Google Play, but I'll look into it.

This TouchArcade is a good tip. I shall take some time to check it out aswell. I've already sent letters to about 10 different websites myself. Most of them also tell me that if I pay them they guarantee a review, but if I don't, then I most likely will not get a review.

Will definately try to make more contacts on the way.

Most of the websites that contact me have a bad reputation, so it wouldn't be smart to pay them. But also websites with a good rep ask money for reviews.

---------

Thank you all for the replies!!

8. goat

goat

Looks to be OK fun...fix those rabbit eyes to be more like typical cartoon eyes with the iris & eye whites, the swinging octagons (stop signs) change to a game warden with a net. The jump through the circle change to a, I'm not sure, maybe change to a spoked wagon wheel with each pie shaped slice of the wagon wheel assigned unique score bonus multipliers, the coins change to carrots and Easter eggs, block some jump platforms with Easter chicks, have the rabbit or player try to fill the Easter basket as a means of keeping score, call it Easter Bunny

I don't know if you're paying for the website hosting but you can do that free at Zoho.com

I occasional get contacted by those review sites but they are obvious frauds. I don't even bother taking their emails out of the junk folder.

HomelessShrimps and Ryiah like this.
  9. yoonitee

yoonitee

Yeah quickly change the icon to a bunny to take advantage of Easter!

HomelessShrimps likes this.
  10. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Personal opinion only -
    I would never pay to get a review - not even for the most widely circulated site related to the platform you are on.
    They are asking you to pay them to review your game - You could counter and say - they need to pay you for covering your game because your game is going to drive a ton of traffic to there site - which generates magical revenue for them.

I'd reply to any email asking for payment for a review - with an agreement for them to review your game - with the review fee waved - in exchange for the game driving viewers to their site.

Silly scammers.

HomelessShrimps and Schneider21 like this.
unityunity