Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me design an awesome flame thrower

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Not_Sure, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I’m currently prototyping on my FPS weapons out and i’m thinking about how I’m going to do a flamethrower.

Primary will be a stream that goes straight out.

Secondary will be a glob of Napalm that flings out in an arc, then splashes fire everywhere in contact.

Enemies hit will get an immediate damage, and damage over time.

So here’s what I’m working out.

1) I’m thinking that for the stream I’m wanting to do a sort of rapid fire shotgun with slow moving projectiles. Like a spread of points that do raycast between frames to detect if they hit anything.

Alternatively I could just do a series of slow moving spheres that are rapidly fired, and potentially grow. The issue I see with this is that the sphere clipping a wall would be destroyed even if it’s just a little.

Lastly I could try and make a volumetric funnel. But I wouldn’t even know where to start.

2) I wondering how to do the burning over time. My thinking was to add 1 to an int every the enemy is hit. Then have the enemy receive damage on a timer where they lose however much the int is, and reduce it by 1.

So let’s say you hit an enemy 5 times. That int is now 5. Meaning they will receive 5 damage, then 4 damage, then 3, 2, 1. 15 damage in total.

I probably would also like to have a cap put on it, like 20.

But I’m also thinking I may also want to have the initial hit do have additional damage. So like maybe it’s a minimal of 5.

Would really like some input on that for sure.

3) I’m not certain how I’d like to do burning on the ground. I’m currently thinking the secondary will shoot out a sphere with a RB. On contact it’ll make an explosion, create a large sphere where it lands, and shoot smaller spheres in every direction that stick to a surface on contact.

Those sphere then do damage periodically to enemies inside them. They shrink as the fire dwindles. And they slowly move away from one another’s if they are colliding.

If a glob hits an enemy directly, I of course want to add lots of burning.

if anyone has any advice on how to handle this better I would really appreciate it.

4) I’m kind of wanting to do a Blood homage (rip off) and have certain enemies go into a frenzy panic if they have enough burning damage. Maybe if the burning int is at max AND the total burning damage left exceeds their max life. But yeah, I’m thinking I may make a humanoid model specifically for this where they are completely engulfed, then run around in a blind panic leaving fire on the ground all around them, and burning other enemies that are near them. Opinions on that?

5) Just a few quick questions.

-what has been your favorite flame thrower?

-what would you like to see in a flame thrower?

-how important is vision while using one?

-about how long and wide do you think is right?

2. Martin_H

Martin_H

Maybe this will be interesting for you:

Not_Sure likes this.