Search Unity

Help me choose the best ConnectionConfig settings please

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by gsus725, Oct 17, 2016.

1. gsus725

gsus725

Hello my game is a fast paced online game similar to Unreal Tournament. I've made a nice networking system but still do not understand most of the settings in my ConnectionConfig (due to lack of detailed documentation).

Can you guys please inform me and give me help and tips to setting it up to run well for a fast paced online game where players move quickly and jump around high and often? Thanks.

I experimented by randomly switching some of them such as putting MaxCombinedReliableMessageSize to 1, and it SEEMED like it gave me smoother movement for remote players despite using Channel 0 for player movement (Unreliable Sequenced)

2. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

You only modify default values if you
    1- see warnings about message queue being full
    2- experience disconnects

The delays are a bit related to some of them like the settings which say when to flush the buffer and send messages but more important is your data size and channel QOS. For example I guess you should use unreliable and just ignore out of order messages to remove a lot of delay. Specially in the next transport layer version reliable messages don't affect latency of the unreliable ones as much as they do now because the queues are separate and there is an experimental build for that.

Whippets likes this.
  3. gsus725

gsus725

Thanks. That's good about the separate queues. So from your answer I'm under the impression that none of these are particularly critical to whether I am making a fast paced game or not. You think I should leave them on default settings as shown above or do you have an specific recommendations? You said the settings of when to flush the buffer and send out messages, and I assume "Max Sent Message Queue Size" is relevant to that, so would I perhaps set that to 1 so that it doesn't even keep a queue but sends out messages as they arrive? Or have I misunderstood? The documentation also leaves me wondering what AckDelay is.

I just wish the documentation was more detailed regarding this

Whippets likes this.