Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Installing Unity to Linux [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Linux Editor' started by ElementalKoopa, Dec 4, 2018.

1. ElementalKoopa

ElementalKoopa

Hello. I just got a 64 bit Linux Dell XPS 13 laptop that uses GNOME and I wanted to install Unity on it. I downloaded the most recent Unity Download Assistant for Linux on the forums and was able to execute it and get it installed. However, when I close the setup to automatically launch the game, it will never launch.

Additionally, when I check the applications, Unity was never there and when I went directly to the files, it will never open. I tried this 3 times and the result is still the same: it never launched. Literally nothing happened when I clicked on it.

Can someone help me figure out what's wrong? I'm very new to Linux and just got the laptop yesterday.

The version is Unity-2018.2.7f1

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. Fanelia82

Fanelia82

I can help to add unity to the applications:
    Download a unity3d icon and copy it where the program is (probably /home/YOURUSERNAME/Uity-2018.2.7f1/ or in short ~/Unity-2018.2.7f1/) with the name "unity3d.png". Personally i use a white icon in order to maximise the contrast like:

https://i.ibb.co/F4VkpJT/unity3d.png

how to copy on terminal:

cp ~/Download/unity3d.png ~/Unity-2018.2.7f1/

now create a file "unity3d.desktop" in /home/YOURUSERNAME/.local/share/applications
    on terminal:

gedit ~/.local/share/applications/unity3d.desktop

and copy the follow text: (remenber to change YOURUSERNAME with...your username!)

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=Unity3d
    Comment=Unity-2018.2.7f1
    Exec=/home/YOURUSERNAME/Unity-2018.2.7f1/Editor/Unity
    Icon=/home/YOURUSERNAME/Unity-2018.2.7f1/unity3d.png
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    Categories=GTK;GNOME;Utility;

That is all.

3. ElementalKoopa

ElementalKoopa

Thanks for making it present on the applications, but it still won't open.
    I click on it, and Unity won't launch. No windows pop up. Just nothing.

4. hexrobot

hexrobot

ElementalKoopa likes this.
  5. ElementalKoopa

ElementalKoopa

Oh. I don't think I have.
    I thought the download assistant would've automatically downloaded those for me. Whoops.
    Is there any way to easily download those? I'm still new to Linux.

6. Fanelia82

Fanelia82

Normally the fastest way is via terminal.
    The command you need to use depends on the system you have.
    Ubuntu? Fedora? Arch? Other?

7. ElementalKoopa

ElementalKoopa

Right now, my laptop runs on Ubuntu. So how do I download those packages / dependencies?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  8. Fanelia82

Fanelia82

Ubuntu use apt-get install .... in order to install things.

Personally I did not use ubuntu but I have found this command in a unity forum:

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0 libsoup2.4-1 libarchive13 libgconf-2-4 libnspr4 p7zip-full tar gzip cpio zip gconf-service lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 libasound2 libc6 libc6-i386 libcairo2 libcap2 libcups2 libdbus-1-3 libexpat1 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgcc1 libgconf-2-4 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgl1-mesa-glx libglib2.0-0 libglu1-mesa libgtk2.0-0 libnss3 libpango1.0-0 libstdc++6 libx11-6 libxcomposite1 libxcursor1 libxdamage1 libxext6 libxfixes3 libxi6 libxrandr2 libxrender1 libxtst6 zlib1g debconf npm

Only a few libraries... Hope this is sufficient!

ElementalKoopa likes this.
  9. ElementalKoopa

ElementalKoopa

Yes! It was more than sufficient!
    Unity finally works now.
    Thank you so much for all your help!