Search Unity

Help importing a .blend file made from a tutorial into Unity

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Lyn.A, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Lyn.A

Lyn.A

I was following this old Blender tutorial from Tuts+. Everything was going smoothly, but I wanted to see how something like this would look in Unity, and all I get when I import the .blend file and place it in the scene is this:

But when I tried exporting it as an .fbx, and loading that + the texture image file into Unity and combining them in the scene, it worked pretty okay:

Would love to know where I screwed up so I don't repeat it. I followed the tutorial rather closely. When it came time to duplicate the model, I duplicated it, worked with the duplicated version, and only deleted the bottom plane mesh + the original model when I was ready to import it into Unity. Not sure if that affected things, but mentioning it anyway in case it's relevant.

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

On your model's import settings (click the Blender file in Unity) is your scale set to 1? I've seen this at 0.1 sometimes, somehow, and it could be making the model so small you're not seeing it?

Lyn.A likes this.
  3. jhocking

jhocking

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, that the scale is off in import settings. That said, I would suggest importing models as .fbx anyway; Unity actually uses Blender when importing .blend files, which means that you need to have Blender installed on any computer where you'll work on this project. That might not sound too bad (especially if you're the sole developer) but it can get to be an onerous requirement and is completely irrelevant if you import .fbx instead.

Lyn.A likes this.
  4. Schneider21

Schneider21

I didn't know that! Good to know!

5. Lyn.A

Lyn.A

Thanks, but I checked just now, and it's set to 1. Good to know though, will pay attention to that.

Edit: I added a few more details regarding the problem in my reply to Jhocking as well.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  6. jhocking

jhocking

Yeah it's kinda hidden; scroll to the bottom of this manual page:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/3D-formats.html

It's a pretty ridiculous way of sugar-coating what Unity is actually doing, I kinda wish they didn't do that.

7. Lyn.A

Lyn.A

Thanks, sticking to .fbx does sound attractive. Are there no disadvantages in terms of importing extra stuff, like rigs and animations?

At the moment, I don't really plan on using anything other than Blender though, and would love to know where I went wrong with this one. It's just bothering me in general, heh.

An odd thing is during this stage of the process:

If I try to export this without deleting the extra objects, this is what I get in Unity:

The original backup model and bottom plane mesh import just fine. But if I delete them and make sure my object is still selected/active, what I get is what I mentioned in the first post.

8. jhocking

jhocking

As far as I know (Unity's documentation isn't explicit about this, so I may be wrong) Unity is exporting to .fbx anyway in the background (that's why you need to have Blender installed) so there wouldn't be any difference.

9. Schneider21

Schneider21

Interesting. The model you created isn't Linked or Appended or anything, is it? And out of curiosity, what is the modifier that's applied to your character but not the other objects in the scene?

10. Lyn.A

Lyn.A

Thanks a lot, very good to know!

11. Lyn.A

Lyn.A

Linked or Appended, not that I know of, though I'm not really sure how to check yet. Is it through the outliner?

With the modifier, there was a Mirror modifier earlier in the tutorial process that I'd had to "apply" right before texturing. I think it was applied to this model right after duplication, and the other model was kept as a backup. No other modifiers apart from that.

12. Lyn.A

Lyn.A

Thanks! I've given up on trying to figure out why it won't work and am using .fbx exclusively now. Haven't run into any issues so far (knocks on wood).

Appreciate all the help from this thread. Thanks everyone.

13. Martin_H

Martin_H

Afair the exporter has a feature to only export groups and export each group into a separate fbx file. You could try that and just not put lamps and cameras into a group.