Search Unity

(help) from digital 3d model to resin figure

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VataRaven, Jul 6, 2014.

1. VataRaven

VataRaven

I was just thinking about this.

Is there any services that and make a digital 3d model into a resin figure?

2. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

Would a 3d printer do the job?

3. VataRaven

VataRaven

Is there a site that can process it for me, since that's a big investment.

Can 3d printers also process color? I know people can hand paint them, but I don't have that sort of skill.

4. nipoco

nipoco

If money is no problem and you have a zbrush file, you could contact the guys from Ownage Their site looks completely useless and says not much.
    But they make the most awesome figurines from Zbrush files you can imagine.
    And they offer the full service, from printing, to refining, to painting. In this thread you can find some examples. But it costs over hundred bucks as far as I know.

If you want it cheap. You could use Shapeways. The quality isn't the best for detailed models, mind you. And you have to paint the stuff by yourself (or use colored sandstone if it's really simple)

5. VataRaven

VataRaven

Awe, the Ownage site is...well, not down, but it has a very crappy page, just saying they're moving things around.

Though, $100+ seems like a good deal, if you want a nice figure of your own characters.

I'll take more site suggestions, always nice to have a few choices to pick. I found a few, but still looking into this.

6. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Imaterialize is what you're looking for. Go check it out. 3D printing services in multicolor. Not really expensive plus you can, upload your file and set the size of the printed object, select the material and get an automatic price estimate. It's in Belgium but they can send the printed sculpture over to your location.

7. nipoco

nipoco

Yes they don't have a shiny homepage. But they taking orders.
    And they are specialized in figures and painting them for you.

Just look at their stuff.

Seems some of these models are way more than $100+ tho. I guess that's the cost, if you want truly awesome stuff.

8. VataRaven

VataRaven

His ZBrush Central says he's done mass production, of some sort.

Curious of that process, I don't imagine those would all be hand-painted, or maybe the less less complex the painting needs to be reflexes the price

9. nipoco

nipoco

Yes they make limited amounts of some figures. I wouldn't call that mass production. They still have to put multiple parts together, sand and cut those figures and paint them by hand. That's the reason for the higher prices.

Shapeways and similar services are really mass production. But you won't get the same level of quality from those.

Do you intend to sell some character figures of your game as merchandise?

10. VataRaven

VataRaven

No, was just curious if the a higher print run of theirs was done differently or not

Wish his site was up, could take a look at it

thanks for showing his work