Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Help for beginning Texturing my game

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Thilun, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Thilun

Thilun

Hello everybody, I come to you to help me to learn different things on Texturing !

My biggest problem is : How ?
    I often see some things like that :

Forum.png

How do you know that THIS part will be somewhere on your Object or THIS will be on another

Forum2.png

Or THIS and THIS

Forum 4.png

I think that it will help me to learn the basics of "How to Texture your game by your own"

Thanks for your help :)

2. niosop2

niosop2

The process of mapping a 2D texture coordinate to a position on a 3d model is called uv mapping. Search for UV unwrapping or UV mapping tutorials and you should find plenty for whatever package you're using.

3. Thilun

Thilun

Hello !

Thank you for your advice, this help me a lot, I can now beggin to try some texturing :D

I will send you soon what I'm able to do at this point :)

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  4. Thilun

Thilun

I tryed a lot of time but it didn't do it, I'm still trying, see you soon :)

5. goat

goat

Don't give up too fast because UVs and texturing is the part of modeling that most 3D modelers dislike, especially because it is then that poor model topology is exposed.

6. Thilun

Thilun

Thanks for your support, I'm working hard and try to do things well, I work with Blender, maybe you can give me another great software that help begginners too ? :)

7. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Texturing and UVs are not part of what we teach as part of Unity, as it's really part of your modelling. That being said, we will help out as much as possible. You will, however, get much more information if you look at this issue from a modelling perspective. You should first look on the forums and chat rooms related to your favourite modelling application: Blender, Maya, Max, C4D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_mapping

Unity can support any model that is in .fbx, .dae (Collada), .3ds, .dxf and .obj formats, and Unity can also import, through conversion: Max, Maya, Blender, Cinema4D, Modo, Lightwave & Cheetah3D.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/3D-formats.html

Because Blender is free, you may find it the most affordable of the options.