Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Help finding possible tycoon type kit/asset used in multiple diff games from diff developers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SquigglyFrog, Jan 10, 2020.

1. SquigglyFrog

SquigglyFrog

Hi all,

Question... There are several tycoon / empire type games out there by different developers that all see to use this kind of base asset / kit / template. Examples, Idle Shopping Mall by Glimmering Gaming, and several by Codigames, including Hotel Empire Tycoon, Supermarket Tycoon, Theme Park Tycoon etc. You can tell these all use the same base template due to the panels in the games, like the Report panels which are almost identical across them all, all of them incorporating the same concepts of parking spaces, customers, hiring staff, etc..

What I can not find is what asset / kit / etc this could be? I don't know that I want to use it itself, but it would be an amazing resource to look at and learn from!

Any suggestions or has anyone seen this kit or one very similiar?

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  3. SquigglyFrog

SquigglyFrog

Since my original reply was deleted and treated as trolling, I will rephrase what I said. Yes I have searched the asset store 100 times and the asset in hoping to find is not there. And I will ask anyone to please read the question and take a look at screenshots of those games. Hopefully I can find that particular asset. I only wish it were on the asset store.

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

What's wrong with assets provided by poster above?

5. SquigglyFrog

SquigglyFrog

I'm pretty sure I already answered that. It's a specific asset I'm looking for, those aren't it.

6. neginfinity

neginfinity

Has it occurred to you that the asset you're looking for might not even exist? Or might not be available for purchase?

All games you listed except one are developed by a single company called codigames. It is plausible that the company developed a single in-house framework on top of unity and used it in multiple games. That does not mean the framework is available for purchase, and that does not mean it is on asset store.

Joe-Censored and Antypodish like this.
  7. SquigglyFrog

SquigglyFrog

It has occurred, and I had thought about that until I found a different game from a different company using the same template. It may not even be a unity project, but I'd still like to find it. At least 2 studios are using the kit, that's the only reason I'm assuming outs out there somewhere. Codigames is based out of Spain if I recall, and another company using this asset is based out of Hong Kong. Glimmering game ltd

8. SquigglyFrog

SquigglyFrog

And besides it still doesn't hurt to look and ask around does it? I'd love to find even so. Thing similiar that implements a store and customer type Sim like these do.

9. neginfinity

neginfinity

I think with just two studios it is not enough to assume that there's a kit. With one studio producing a line of games, and with other making jusst one, the second studio (with 1 game) could simply clone the gameplay and design in their product, without a kit. But yeah, won't hurt to ask, sure.

10. SquigglyFrog

SquigglyFrog

It's a thought but they did more than clone the game play. Multiple in game panels like the reporting panel are virtually identical graphics, down to the icon used to access it. I don't even care if it's unity, it could be vic 20 basic for all it matters, Id just like to see the code behind the managing and spawning of the customers, etc and all the math behind it so I can study. The chance of me using a pre-made asset or kit for something I'd make is pretty much zero anyways. But they're useful to research and learn from.

11. Antypodish

Antypodish

Chances are, they ripped the assets out of the original game. Or even whole game.
    Nothing uncommon these days.

12. SquigglyFrog

SquigglyFrog

Case in point, here's a third dev using the same template and this one has the made with unity logo, so I at least know it is a unity kit. Same identical features, game panels, upgrade logic
    , etc. Joymire game idle park Tycoon. Has to be out there somewhere..

13. Antypodish

Antypodish

Time to learn, how China game dev look like.
    Specially, when comes to cloning existing popular titles ...

14. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Many developers build up a framework or engine and use it over and over. They may also sell this framework to other companies without it being publicly available. Or the different companies you mention may just be subsidiaries of the main group (or clones as per above).

In any case, the fact that the same or similar template is used in many games does not mean that it must be publicly available. If you can't find it on the asset store, itch.io, sellmyapp, etc, it's probably not.

So contact the games developers and see if they will sell you their engine... given it's used to make quite popular games, and you will be competing with them, expect to pay tens of thousands or more.

Antypodish and Ryiah like this.
  15. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

While it may indeed be ripped, it’s also possible that one developer contracted the other to create the game under their own label. That actually happens more often than folks would expect. We did that several times, where the game was completely developed by another company with our ip, and published under our name. Not often, it happened.

16. Billy4184

Billy4184

Are you looking to be the fourth example provided by the next person looking for a tycoon game kit with particular Report panel design?

Seriously, I would worry more about whether a kit provides the features you need to make the game you want to make.

17. nathkempf

nathkempf

Have you found the asset you were looking for? I've been looking for it for a while, too.

18. SquigglyFrog

SquigglyFrog

Nope. haven't found it, but haven't looked much lately. except for finding tons and tons of apps built on this same kit/package from all different studios. It's obviously out there, but for now work has been keeping me too busy to dig much.

19. Murgilod

Murgilod

Have you tried contacting those studios and just... asking them?

BIGTIMEMASTER likes this.
  20. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I was going to say the same. Seems like the obvious first thing to do.

21. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, a lot of devs (especially smaller ones) are usually open to talk and share advice. Most of my big technical hurdles I've run into I've solved just by looking in the credits of a game where it was done and then looking up a programmer on twitter or linkedin or whatever.