Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Help: Dynamic terrain like Super Mario Smash Bros

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Knudzen, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Knudzen

Knudzen

Hello everyone,

I am new at gamedesign and 3D in generel. I am planning to do a little game from where the terrain/landmass changes over time like the Pokemon Stadium in Super Mario Smash Bro games. My question is this even possible in 3D, and can any of you guys maybe lead me in the right direction to make such feature.

I hope I posted this is the right forum.

Please see the following example from the time 5:30:

Thank you and have a nice day everyone :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  2. Murgilod

Murgilod

That's not really "dynamic terrain." All they do is have a section of the level scaled down and probably disabled that gets enabled and scaled up when the right conditions are met.

Martin_H likes this.
  3. Knudzen

Knudzen

Hi Murgilod,
    Thank you so much for your reply, it is really aprreciated! As you can hear I am fairly new at the whole development thing. But to make this work, is actually required to make two "types" of terrain, and let the first terrain to scale down and let the other scale up when the condition is met. Also, this will be possible to do with multiple types of terrains which does randomly spawn/scale if the right condition is met. Is that understanded correctly? :)

Have a nice day

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

@Knudzen No, they just use a mesh. A normal Unity 'GameObject' and scale it. There's no rocket science here and they don't use a terrain. It just looks like one.

Martin_H, HolBol and SirTwistedStorm like this.
  5. Knudzen

Knudzen

Ah okay, that make sense. Thank you both so much for your help, it is really appreciated!

Have a great day :)

Martin_H likes this.