Search Unity

Help delay my death function!

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Eekul, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Eekul

Eekul

If any of the frequenters of the forums happen to drop in on this post; beware I will be having a lot of questions! I'm a new programmer who is interested in game design, and I tend to learn best by 1.) Attempting to problem solve on my own, 2.) Researching the problem 3.) Asking others with more experience for help.

I learned how to delay "Die" being called by using invoke; however that doesn't allow time for the animation to process, and there is a quick snap of the screen back to the player's original transform. I am looking for a smoother solution than using invoke to delay death. My code is listed in the files below. My ProcessPlayerDeath function lives within my Game Session/Game Manager Script. And my Die function lives within my player controller script.

I'm thinking there may be a way to delay "ProcessPlayerDeath" using transform and that will solve the issue? However I am simply unsure.

Thanks in advance for the effort and replies.

help1.PNG help2.PNG

2. mgear

mgear

3. hlw

hlw

You learn stuff in a nice way, don't forget to add "4) Answer others with less experience". This actually help you a lot to remember what you learnt, and sometimes help you getting a new idea when you are momentally stuck on something.

I confirm, coroutines are easy way to add delays.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class Testingblabla : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     IEnumerator DelayedDeath()
    8.     {
    9.         Debug.Log("Hero is dying");//Launch the animation and stuffs
    11.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(5f);//Delay for 5 seconds
    13.         Debug.Log("Hero is dead");//ProcessPlayerDeath
    15.     }
    16.      void Start()
    17.     {
    18.         StartCoroutine("DelayedDeath");//The hero starts to die
    20.     }
    22. }
    You could also, inside the animation, set a function to be called when the animation reaches a certain time. (At the end of your "Die" Animation, for example)

4. Eekul

Eekul

Trying to use code to do it first; and I'm having a problem. As soon as I spawn, it triggers an unstoppable chain of deaths,(which do appear to be spread apart by 2 seconds). I'll post the picture of my code. And in my head it should be working properly, but clearly it isn't. Maybe you could give me a hand?

*PS* I attempted putting the "StartCoroutine" line of code within the Start method as well; This yielded the same results as mentioned above.

Attached Files:

5. Eekul

Eekul

UPDATE!!!! I was actually able to figure it out! Using the code as posted below!

Attached Files:

DJD10 likes this.