Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

[Help] Collision resolution without Physics2D

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by dogonwheels, Jan 10, 2019.

1. dogonwheels

dogonwheels

I'm trying to add collision detection and resolution so my user controlled entity doesn't go through impassable objects. Naively I thought this would be done best by resolving collisions and moving the player back out of the object - or is this best done with ray casting/checking before moving the object?

I realise that Physics2D likely handles all this - but I don't want physics/forces based movement for my player character and enemies.

I noticed that the docs mention hit test results - https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.tiny@0.13/manual/module-hitbox2d.html#hittestresult - but I don't see which system would add these.

Alternatively, how would I go about ray casting in Tiny? It feels like looping through all the world's objects in the movement code and manually checking would be against the spirit of ECS - happy to be wrong though! :D

(I'm still pretty new to Unity, let alone Tiny, so forgive me if I've missed the obvious)

Thanks.

2. sebastianm_unity

sebastianm_unity

Unity Technologies