Search Unity

Help: Can't select Unity Transport when selecting the NGO Network Transport

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by RCBiplaneFlyer, Dec 7, 2021.

1. RCBiplaneFlyer

RCBiplaneFlyer

Only UNETTransport appears in the selection. I have the following packages installed:

Netcode for Gameobjects 1.0.0-pre.3
    Lobby 1.0.0-pre.6
    Relay Allocation 1.0.0-pre.4
    Unity Transport 1.0.0-pre10

Unity Transport does not appear in the selection list. I checked the code, and it looks for subclasses of 'NetworkTransport' as I expected. Interestingly, the Unity Transport package did not include anything derived from 'NetworkTransport'.

I'm trying to follow this setup help: https://docs.unity.com/relay/relay-and-ngo.htm#Set-up-networkmanager

What am I missing here?

2. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

Have you installed the package
    com.unity.netcode.adapter.utp
    ? It should appear as 'Unity Transport for Netcode for GameObjects' in the package manager.

Dean_AdjuvoDigital2 likes this.
  3. RCBiplaneFlyer

RCBiplaneFlyer

4. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

Yeah that documentation page is completely out of date. I'll bring it up to the documentation team.

There's no need to install the development version. You should be able to install it directly from the package manager the same way you installed NGO. You can follow the instructions here, just replacing
    com.unity.netcode.gameobjects
    with
    com.unity.netcode.adapter.utp

UnityGio likes this.
  5. RCBiplaneFlyer

RCBiplaneFlyer

Yep, that worked. Thanks for the help. I'm now able to connect via the Relay Server service.

simon-lemay-unity likes this.
  6. kunabi

kunabi

It took me 2 hours to find this thread and since December, the documentation on site is still outdated. It's March 2022, you know...

7. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

Could you point at where in the documentation the old instructions are still listed? The link provided above is dead, and the latest version of the documentation does list the correct install steps for the adapter package.

8. burzum793

burzum793

The link in the previous post is dead.

I struggle to find the transport as well. I've installed "Unity Transport" and "Netcode for Gameobjects" via the Package Manager. But I can't select any, not from "Assets" nor "Scene".

upload_2022-7-14_14-13-22.png

9. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

Here's the updated link to the documentation. Unity Transport is now part of Netcode for GameObjects, and there is no need to install a separate package anymore.

The transport is selected in the inspector for
    NetworkManager
    components. If you add a
    NetworkManager
    to your scene and select it, there should be a "Network Transport" field in the inspector to select the transport.

10. burzum793

burzum793

Thank you! There is an install link on that page you linked that also leads to a dead page. It might be a good idea to setup some 301 HTTP status and redirect? :)

So, I've tried installing it via the package manager from the package repository and I also tried installing it via the package manager and using the git repository. I've tried what you suggest, thats also what is in the documentation, but I can't see any transport to select. :(

11. burzum793

burzum793

I'm an idiot, sorry, I didn't realize there are two ways to select it. The lower select works. upload_2022-7-14_18-16-21.png