Search Unity

Help!!! Asset Bundle version compatibility.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CaseJnr, Nov 11, 2014.

1. CaseJnr

CaseJnr

I have an iPhone application that uses asset bundles. Everything was working fine until I upgraded Unity from 4.5.0 to 4.5.5. Now none of asset bundles get loaded and i receive the following error:

Download failed. Asset was not created = The asset bundle 'http://thesite.com/theasset.unity3d' could not be loaded because it contains run-time classes of incompatible version. Rebuild the AssetBundle to fix this error.

Does that mean that every time I update Unity to a minor release that all my asset bundles need to be recompiled. That would mean I would have to have a different asset bundle for every version of the application. What a terrible solution. Is there anything i can do about it? Can I somehow skip the version compatibility check or is there an alternative solution?

I am really freaking out about this so any guidance would be highly appreciated.

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Yes. Assetbundle versions must match. When you update, you'll need to reexport your assetbundles. You wouldn't need to have multiple versions, just the one that matches your release. The best way to handle this is to automate your assetbundle creation. Either by folder, list of names or even just having seperate project for that purpose. That way you can just reexport them all at once. It may take a while to run, but better than doing it by hand. ;)