Search Unity

Hello

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by LawrenceMallari, Sep 10, 2017.

1. LawrenceMallari

LawrenceMallari

Hello im an upstart Game Developer i was wondering if is Unity the right engine to make a 2D space/Top down Game?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

You definitely can do a game like that in unity, you'll still have to work with what tools unity offers in terms of how your game is rendered, I would say try a few 2D game tutorials in unity and if you're comfortable with the way things work than stick with unity, if not there are other options that may be easier or less complicated depending on how you feel comfortable structuring your game.

Sanhueza likes this.
  3. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

You mean something like this?

Ryiah and Sanhueza like this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes it's the right choice if you have experience in programming C# OR experience in how games are put together (playmaker/visual scripting).

If you're expecting a few clicks -> done then I would check out something else.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Hi @Redchaos . Wellcome to the community. I'm a standard user. Yes, Unity is perfect for a very first indie game developer or advanced games. I jump to a lot of engines for years before Unity and I believe that is a perfect choice for starting. there are a lot of users that can help you if you are in problems and there are master developers like hippocoder that can tell you the real truth about a detailed problem. In Unity, you can do it because is simple to understand how to do it. You can achieve the gold faster with a very good visual quality. There are a lot of Unity tools for 2D. Also, great tutorials including in youtube, Unity learning section. Learning how to code ( an essential part of a game), in Unity is easier. The rendering is very good and you can do all kind of levels. In Unity, you can make also a hi level of detail. Thinking long, Unity has a lot of advantage like for example the "asset store", is very powerful for advanced users, rendering is awesome when you set it up in more advanced mode and Unity is always working hard to improve the engine. This engine grows good each year and very fast. So is nice to be in it growing with it. Learning is an essential part and you need to put the time in it first.

In the Tutorial section, you can learn how to use Unity.
    Follow first the way how the interface works. The interface is so simple: [link to essential]
    In Unity is simple to learn C#. Just look the coding section here: [Unity Link]
    And here there is a 2D Space Tutorial [Unity Link] and other Top down 2D example [link]

There are a lot of tools also for visual scripting if you do not want to learn how to code. But I recommend staying with C# that at the end is simple.
    I also recommend trying by yourself downloading the engines that look interesting and making your choice by yourself.

6. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

There are also new tools for 2D in the new Unity 2017.2

Sanhueza likes this.
  7. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Hi @Redchaos ! Here is a better Unity tutorial for 2D so that you can understand how simple is it: Link

Sanhueza likes this.
  8. LawrenceMallari

LawrenceMallari

Thanks guys im a bit Excited to start going on the development however i still do not know anything about C++ as currently our topic in class is Java it might be next sem or next year before i they teach us C++, im very passionate about Developing my own game as i am a modder myself(Rise of Nations) I modify files,make scripts,skins etc but modding is a bit different than making your own game your own codes.

My goal this year is to make a prototype of my game like FTL but more complex try out features how it plays out.
    im planning on being a solo indie dev which means more hardwork but Greater income.

Its nice to see a friendly community that you have here very well much appreciated.

9. LawrenceMallari

LawrenceMallari

Is the free Unity be able to handle two separate features like Ship combat then boarding??

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Free unity has all the features now.

11. LawrenceMallari

LawrenceMallari

Why is that if i install unity it needs to download everything in one go? and it cant be paused?

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

Because Unity's installer is not a download manager. For starters, the first problem isn't an actual problem. If you don't want it to download everything, then don't select everything. Just select the portions you want it to download immediately and then select others at a later date. Or only select the parts you actually need at the time.

For pausing the files, you'll need to use a third party downloader. Just feed the links from the Unity download archive drop down selection for your OS into your favorite download manager.

After you've downloaded them manually you just install them manually. It's not like the web installer is actually needed.

https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  13. LawrenceMallari

LawrenceMallari

Thanks for the tip one more thing do i need a decent rig to make a game?? currently im on a Mediocore Laptop
    it specs are
    Intel i5
    64bit
    Windows 10
    6gb Ram
    1gb VRAM Nvidia GTX 570M

is this ok ?

14. Ryiah

Ryiah

Only if you intend to make a demanding game. Unity itself will run off of just about anything that can run Windows.

15. LawrenceMallari

LawrenceMallari

is a Risk like game Hard?? i do have a plan to test out and make a Risk like game similar to Open Panzer or Warlight

16. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Start learning C# (simpler than C++).

Unity 2D Essentials Pack Quick Demo

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Sanhueza likes this.
  17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes, everything is hard as a beginner.

For me? it would be trivial. for you, it's a lot of learning. Even if you had visual scripting you would struggle, because you will need to know a lot of things about how programs fit together, loops, flow, data. All the things.

It's about the same difficulty as learning to wall climb correctly, or reaching a 1st kyu brown belt to make a game using C# in Unity (from 6 months to a year, unaided).

If you have training materials and the right mindset I would imagine my estimate to be shorter. After all, you're not making the engine or any of the hard stuff, just little components.

It's not about "is a xyz game hard" but "am I interested enough to learn how to make games in Unity".

AlanMattano, Ryiah and Sanhueza like this.