Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Hello World" I'd like to introduce myself

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Grimmethy, Dec 22, 2022.

1. Grimmethy

Grimmethy

Hey there you fellow lovers of games and game development!

My name is Grimmethy, I've been learning and working with Unity seriously for about a year and a half with 2 partially finished projects that I'm fairly proud of.

my first goal was to create a 2d space shooter for mobile.

This is what it looks like currently.

I still reference this project for the AI I wrote for it which I find tends to be far superior to a lot of AI I find in most tutorials or classes. You accrue experience and money from killing enemy ships which can be use to purchase and build allies from the port.

It has 2 unique ships with 5 levels of armor and weapons, each with it's own stats and sprites.

I started with this because I figured it would be a simpler start building a 2d game, making prototypes out of sprites meant I didn't have to learn blender or 3d modeling. Aside from the music and the asteroid itself I did all the art for this project myself which I found both satisfying and frustrating. It certainly slowed down my progress and is a heavily contributing factor in my decision to move onto a new project.

This project is currently on hold because a 3d project was brewing in my head, and after working with unity for a while I realized that it really wasn't much more complicated underneath the hood.

I purchased a few 3d model asset packs and took off.
    I don't have an official name for it, I'm just calling it "Grimmethys Playground" for now.

It has survival and basic building mechanics, as well as a procedurally generated infinitely generating terrain(thank you Sebastian Lague). The skeletons wake up and atack when the player gets too close. The inventory system is working fantastically.

I am in the process of implementing multiplayer. Currently, multiple clients can load into the same map and properly control their own character, equip swords and fight each other. I still need to work on syncing up the resources and npcs though they should be fairly simple to fix. (relative to the equipment, that took some work to fix...)

I have a discord server that I am using as my development and personal blog.
    I love using discord for this purpose as I find it to be a wonderfully interactive if chaotic space compared to most blog formats.

https://discord.gg/K2cb5vC55p

It has a well documented history on both primary projects as well as pinned links to the resources that I find useful to learning my process.

My hope is that by sharing my journey this way, others who want to explore making games in Unity may also benefit from my journey.

As far as my process, I like to experiment with new concepts within these existing projects as opposed to making a bunch of smaller projects for building prototypes. Overall I find this forces me to make my prototypes a lot more cohesive and flexible than they otherwise would be. It also serves to give me a lot better impression of how all the little moving parts can work together. I'd like to continue focusing on programming and systems building rather than the art and level design.

I'd like to officially explore professional work using Unity's tools. I think it is a fantastic program and highly recommend it to anyone wanting to join the world of game development.

Thank you for your time, I hope you all have a great day.

dlorre likes this.