Search Unity

Feedback Hello Unity, how many Decades do I need to wait for being able to read names in the project?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by EricFFG, Apr 7, 2023.

1. EricFFG

EricFFG

Yes sorry I'm angry, confronted with this for the thousands time over 10 years.

upload_2023-4-7_14-17-1.png

How am I supposed to work like this?
    I can't read any names and half of the prefab previews unreliably don't work.

List view is not acceptable, its not possible to tell apart these 2 texture sets.

upload_2023-4-7_14-26-48.png

I checked in photoshop and any project-view scale has enough space to host 2 lines of text:

upload_2023-4-7_14-24-5.png

I have to go to my artists and force them to install a third party buggy plugin which introduces new technical debt because they can simply not work in these conditions in good faith.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
    Ruslank100, halley and Saniell like this.
  2. Saniell

Saniell

I agree, Project window design is insanely bad. I will never understand the big idea behind setting selection on folders. What happens is that I try to find asset to put in MonoBehaviour, will open folder -> my selection is now on that folder (WHY?) -> inspector window shows folder name and nothing else -> I have to search for previously selected game object because selection history is not a thing

It doesn't even remember whether you use List view or Grid view per folder like windows explorer does, which makes it annoying to switch between scripts/scriptable objects

But bottom line is, noonse seems to care. It's really rare to see Unity improve editor UX in any other way than just slaping more dropdowns on it (scene overlays, I'm looking at you)

3. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

You can avoid this by selecting folders in the tree view on the left side.

I guess that, now that we have Addressables, we might actually have a reason to select a folder asset. But, even then, it'd definitely be nice to be able to disable that...

4. halley

halley