Search Unity

Hello I am Newbie :D

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by MatiaszHarder, Apr 3, 2017.

?

Do you find it difficult to create your first 2d video game?

1. Yes! Too, it cost me more than two months.

30.0%
  2. It's simple! You just need to get the experience.

70.0%
  1. MatiaszHarder

MatiaszHarder

Hi, I'm new to this community and learning little by little, I would like to know if you guys can give me some advice before I start creating my first 2d video game.

I would be very grateful! :D have a nice day.

Pd. I speak Spanish native jeje.

2. Pengocat

Pengocat

It is simple if you break it down into small pieces but since game development consist of hundreds of disciplines it is very difficult. Many "one person" game developments are successful by focusing on those disciplines the person is good at while leaving out or slightly touching the other disciplines.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the less disciplines you decide to use the easier it is but it is generally still pretty difficult to finish a game on your own.

MatiaszHarder likes this.
  3. game_buddy

game_buddy

It's always a challenge to create your first game, and (more importantly) to complete it; many things get in teh way, from technical challenges to time, motivation, etc.
    Once of the things that may work would be to start with a very simple concept and game mechanic, and improve it over time, without caring too much about the aesthetics;
    1 - define what the basic mechanics are
    2 - break them down in simple steps/sub-mechanics
    3 - implement each of these one-by-one
    Once this is done; you can create a simple (but working prototype) and maybe send it to friends for feedback.
    this will provide u with valuable information on what key aspects need to be improved.
    Hope this helps.

MatiaszHarder and NO1234567 like this.
  4. michigan_is_awesome

michigan_is_awesome

One general piece of advice that has helped me a lot (from a writing professor):

Remember that the prototypes you create as part of the learning process are not magic that cannot be recaptured.

Your rough drafts of ideas that don't work out and half-made games--dozens and dozens of them--won't be "missed opportunities" to have created the best game ever. They're really like the dozens (hundreds) of canvases a painter has to ruin before making even one halfway decent painting.

Everyone does this--no one goes and makes a great, or even good, or even decent game their first time out. It might seem sometimes like you'll never be able to recreate the work you did in one prototype, but if you're working hard and learning principles of game design, you will be able to make something better. Keep moving forward, keep learning.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    MatiaszHarder and Kiwasi like this.
  5. Schneider21

Schneider21

Welcome to the forums!

You're dead wrong about the 2D thing. Unity has a comprehensive suite of 2D tools, and it's getting better and better with each release. I suggest you check out the 2D Learning section, the 2D game Live Training session, the 2D roguelike tutorial, the 2D section of the manual, and the Made With Unity showcase (there's a filter to show only 2D games, in fact).

Unity absolutely supports 2D games.

Edit: Oh, hey! We even have a whole 2D sub-forum here!

MatiaszHarder, Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  6. Schneider21

Schneider21

@NO1234567, Bit of forum etiquette you may want to consider: Don't quadruple post. Especially not within the span of 3 minutes. If you want to add something to your previous message, use the Edit link found at the bottom right of your post. Posting single sentences in rapid succession can be considered spamming.

Also, just some general life advice: Don't rely solely on what you hear from people. Do your own research. As I said, Unity has an excellent 2D suite, but even the 3D tools are capable of creating 2D content. Look at games like Cuphead, Broforce, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, Bad Piggies, Angry Birds 2, and LA Cops. All 2D, all made with Unity.

MatiaszHarder and Kiwasi like this.
  7. MatiaszHarder

MatiaszHarder

Hello people, I have already experienced with Unity, developing games and even mobile applications! I feel like a professional in this engine really never get to think that its interface was so friendly.
    Many thanks for the advice and recommendations I was served a lot throughout my development as a rookie in this great graphic engine, a hug to everyone from Chile. :):cool::cool:

8. _Zenger_

_Zenger_

That's great MatiaszHarder, you are a fast learner :D

un saludo

MatiaszHarder likes this.
  9. MatiaszHarder

MatiaszHarder

Now I use unity perfectly, it is programmed in c # thanks to courses and I have not had any problems and in 3d and textured development, animation and other no problems I have also learned, unity is very easy to use and I thank everyone for their support, a hug.

Ahora uso perfectamente unity, se programar en c# gracias a cursos y no he tenido ningun problema y en desarrolo 3d y texturizado, animacion y demas ningun problema tambien he aprendido, unity es muy facil de usar y doy las gracias a todos por su apoyo, un abrazo.