Search Unity

Hello everyone! (Yes another newbie)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Frutty, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Frutty

Frutty

Hello everyone!

I wanted to make abit of an introduction of myself, for you, so you might be able to help me.
    I got severely depressed about 1.5y ago and I've been fighting for about 1y now. I'd think I'm about 50% "back".
    And please, don't look at me with "Oooh, another guy who thinks he can make a game in a week.." - I have an idéa of a game, sure. But I'm realistic and belive I wont be able to do my game in ATLEAST 5 years(better to think it will take longer, than not).

Now, when I'm on my way "back", I thought I would take up a "hobby"/something more serious to do.

I have none-very little experience of both programming and Unity. I have done half way in on "Roll-a-ball" tutorial and I've enjoyed it so far and want to continue!

But I have a few concerns around, well.. Everything! xD

Since I just made the "CameraController" step, I have been thinking that I dont really understand the programming parts. Does anyone have any idéas? Should I just keep plowing through tutorials or should I focus on something else first?

I have done small amounts of PHP programming, but C# seems more difficult(maybe it scares me abit)? Or does anyone have a "101-super-duper-mega-noob-retarded" - tutorial for C#? xD

I'm thankful for awnsers and I really hope I will stay with this. I really want to be a programmer, but I'm scared that I will get "scared off", if you know what I mean?

Thanks alot if you took the time to read my "story"!

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

3. jhocking

jhocking

Since you already know the basics of programming you should checkout my book Unity in Action: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/161729232X/

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yep, all those links above are good starting places. I'm just going to add a few words of encouragement.

Programming isn't magic. Well, OK, it is magic, but that doesn't mean it's hard. :) The magic is in saying exactly what you mean to say. You also have to learn to say it in a language the computer can understand, but that's the easy part — and C# is a very nice language (I've used many different ones). The real skill comes from breaking a complex problem down into simple problems, and then breaking those down even further into individual steps you can say with precision. This takes practice — but it's not hard to get started.

So, if it's the programming that has you most worried at this point, then I would focus on that for a few weeks. Just take it one step ta a time. If you get confused or stuck on something, post in this forum or the Scripting forum, and someone is sure to help.

For what it's worth, you seem very wise to me. Learning is about the most rewarding, empowering, and invigorating an activity there is, and if you have any interest in it (which clearly you do), then learning to develop games should be a great way to help pull yourself out of your funk. You can do it, and I know you'll be glad you did!

5. Aimlessone

Aimlessone

Depending on how much you know about programming logic, how things are ordered and stored, I'd start with some easy to follow video tutorials on C#. The above links are good, however I started C# from here:

https://channel9.msdn.com/Series/C-Fundamentals-for-Absolute-Beginners

I like the video tutorials and Bob Tabor does a fantastic job teaching at a level even the most beginners can understand. Keep in mind that the Visual Studio C# has some difference than what you'll see and be using in Unity. However the knowledge of understanding C# you get from those videos is fantastic, and it'll transition well into Unity.

6. Schneider21

Schneider21

Welcome, @Frutty!

Depression sucks. I've had family members go through it, and it's a hard thing for people that have never gone through it to fully understand, I think. The great thing is that they don't have to fully understand what's going on in your head to be helpful and supportive, so use any and all resources at your disposal to get yourself back where you want to be!

Learning to write code kinda sucks. It can be hugely frustrating, overwhelming, and make you question everything you think you know about the universe. But you can do it. The key is to just do it. Much like your friends don't have to understand you perfectly to help you through a rough patch, you don't need to fully understand how encapsulation works to write a functioning program. Granted, the more you know, the better your code will be and the better time you'll have in the long run, but that's thinking far down the line.

There's no one source I've found that is the perfect teacher. Rather, you should look all over the place. There are lots of free online resources, both using video tutorials and long-winded written texts. Choose what you prefer. If you like physical books, my favorite C# book is C# 4.0 The Complete Reference. But bear in mind, I didn't read it in a vacuum... I was learning Java, PHP, Javascript, and a handful of other web technologies at the same time, and it may have been a combination of everything that helped things click in my head.

Read some stuff, try writing your own code, go back and re-read, modify your script, and then read some more. Google everything. Try your hardest to figure stuff out on your own, and if you're honest-to-God stuck for several hours, ask someone.

And now, about your game...

A lot of people will say you should forget about it for now. Get a few years experience under your belt, and come back to it later. That seems to be hard advice for people to follow, and honestly, it may not be the best advice for you. If your game idea is your driving force to learn, by all means use it as a carrot on a stick to keep you going.

Write down your ideas in a Google Doc or something. Separate your ideas into elements you'll have to create. Then as you learn, think of how you can apply those things to your game's core concepts. If you're stuck on what to learn next, evaluate one of your game's elements and determine what knowledge is needed to accomplish that.

Don't commit yourself to 5 years of investment in it, though. A lot can change in that amount of time. Create a bunch of throwaway games or prototypes as you're learning, and after each one, decide if you're ready to tackle The Big One. If you think you are, come up with a plan to complete it in a single year. Write that plan out. If you start getting behind, or slacking off, re-evaluate.

There's a good chance you don't have the skills and/or resources to complete your game idea, and you might never get there. That's not the end of the road, though... You'll just need to rethink the portions beyond your capability. Try to find the minimum viable way you can achieve the idea of what you have in mind, and build off that.

Game development is tough. It's a lot of work, and rarely what I would describe as "fun." But it's rewarding in its own way. Just playing against random people I've never met in the game I created gives me a thrill. Temper your expectations and define what success means to you, and you'll set yourself up for the same kind of rewarding experience. Prepare yourself for endless hours of hard work, and you're ready to take your first steps to being a game developer.

Best of luck! Let us know what we can do to help!

Ryiah likes this.
  7. Frutty

Frutty

Again, thank you all for your awnsers and encouragement!

I know, that pretty much everything I "think" game development is, will problably change. But I'm sure my game idea is not one of the hardest kinds.

The "5 year" - thing, is just for me to not have too much hope and pressure on myself, but to take it slow and really 'learn' everything. ^^ If I feel ready in a year or 10 years, doesnt matter to me. I see programming as something hard and I really want to challange myself!

But thank you all for all tips, links and encouraging words! I will keep at it!

JoeStrout likes this.
  8. Schneider21

Schneider21

Diamonds are only made under pressure. :p

I personally find it tough to learn something when I'm wandering my way through it. Set goals for yourself, but ensure they're in small enough subsets that you can consistently make progress. That's what I was really trying to say with the whole "no 5 year" thing.

And honestly, if you force yourself to get through all the official tutorials, you'll have more knowledge than a lot of the people on the forums here. Including me, as there are certain subjects the tutorials cover that I've yet to get around to.

aer0ace likes this.
  9. Frutty

Frutty

Yes, ofcourse I have goals. :p

It's just that I don't feel like I have to accomplish everything in a few months, but instead take my time to make sure I know what I'm doing. :p

But I work better if I really "feel" what I'm doing and that I know what I can manage. :) But thank you Schneider21, I will take your advice! That's what I came here to do! No advice is useless. :D

Schneider21 likes this.
  10. Aimlessone

Aimlessone

@Frutty

It looks like you have yourself some realistic goals, keep working at them. Last night I ws working on my game and ended up dreaming about quanterian.eualer and it's implementation all night. Do this stuff enough and you'll live and breath it!

11. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Welcome to the forums! Let's us know how we can help you. Definitely take a look at the learn section of the website for tutorials, lessons, assignments, projects and live training sessions. Don't forget about live chat on IRC. You can find more information on IRC by using the "community" tab above and looking for IRC. If you're polite and patient, that community can really help out.

I would definitely say, learn to break things down into bite sized pieces. I'd also say, don't get discouraged! If you are focused, driven and polite - the people here can do amazing things to help out.

12. Frutty

Frutty

@Adam Buckner

Thanks! I came here with a open mind and I don't feel the need to be an [kitten] to people I've never talked to. Treat me with respect, and I'll treat you with respect. ^^ And maybe we both can gain something from all this!

I have started with the basics in C# coding, so I'm not totally lost in the Roll-a-ball tutorial. I want to know what I'm typing before typing it, basically. :) I had some internet problems(the are working on something on the street and failed with something). But I'm back! So I have only gotten about 3h frpom the 1st comment. But I will make it! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2015
  13. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard

Welcome to the unity game development world ! Frutty !
    I think the best "Getting Started Tutorial" is the offical video tutorial and it's projects.
    And there is a book you maybe interested in. Unity for Absolute Beginners