Search Unity

Hello CommUnity

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Camike, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Camike

Camike

I assume this is the place to say hello. I'm new to Unity but very excited about what I've seen so far. Seems like a very powerful tool in the right hands and the business team should be applauded for making it available to everyone at no cost until revenue hits 100K.

I'm the guy that traded his passion for a paycheck about 35 years ago but I've learned a lot along the way. As I enter my "golden years" I'm looking to get back to my true self, my creative self. Did some subcontract game stuff back in the 90's for some pretty popular name brands at the time to supplement my income (not sure if I can mention names so I won't - it was commercial stuff on the shelves of CompUSA and the like) and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Three kids and a couple decades later and I really want to make a run at this. Ive got a decade or two left, if I'm blessed with longevity, and I would love to spend it being the artist I was born to be.

I see that I have lots to learn but I've learned a lot already thanks to the willingness of the vets who use this tool and share their experiences.

On a side note - I'm expecting my Cintiq 27 QHD to be delivered tomorrow - I've got an Intuos Pro and love it for 3D Studio Max, Photoshop, Manga Studio. Any tips for using a tablet with unity?

Anyways - just wanted to say hello.

OboShape and chelnok like this.
  2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Hello! And welcome.

It's always nice to see someone pursue their passion, even late in life. Actually, especially late in life! I personally feel that I work best (though stressed) under a deadline, and what better deadline is there than life?!

Keep us update on your growth, and of course, as you have questions, feel free to ask.

3. protopop

protopop

Hi Camike:)

Yes to following your passion!

Isn't cool we have tools like Unity that let us do that now? It's a really fun program and I'm sure you'll find lots of ways to test it out.

4. Effervescent

Effervescent

Hai and welcome to the community!

I have an Intuos Pro as well and I use it mostly for drawing in Clip Studio Paint (Manga Studio). I only have limited experience when it comes to using my tablet with Unity but, personally, I find using a tablet superior to using a mouse when I'm working on animations - it's faster and feels more natural. I imagine it could only be better with a Cintiq 27 QHD (*drool*)!

Having said that, when it comes to the rest of Unity I still use my mouse simply for speed reasons. Moving and removing your hand to and from the mouse while typing in between is faster than picking up and dropping a pen. d:

Good luck and looking forward to seeing you more often on the forums!

5. Camike

Camike

Thanks for the welcome(s). The 27" Cintiq finally arrived and I have to say it's a behemoth. Pictures and videos on the web don't do it justice. I installed it on an ergo arm in my barn and it just kind of takes up the whole desk - it's crazy. It's going to change my whole workflow (in a good way I hope).

Been spending every spare minute trying to get a grip on Unity. I'm feeling more comfortable with a lot of things/conventions/etc but would love a good resource on best practices. Seems like 5 is significantly different than 4.x in several ways - the UI just being one instance. I'm trying to work through some of the 4.x based tutorials and then they throw out the GUIText aspect and I'm scrambling to find a work around. Can anyone point me to the "gurus" of this unity world? Who should I be looking to/following their blogs etc?

It seems Playmaker is a popular and solid tool from what I've seen. A good accelerator for ideas and from the comments I've read, actually generates solid code.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on best practices, etc...

6. Ness

Ness

Hi there and welcome,

A tip from me would be to set up a goal for yourself(like a game that you want to make) and go through Unity tutorials 2-3 times in order to make it happen(to some extent of course). It will take some time but from what I've read you don't have a problem with that anymore :] In a decade with Unity you can make Baldurs Gate 3 :] Good luck!
    As for scripting I started with JavaScript and then switched to C#, so that's what I can recommend. Writing in JS is a piece of cake.

Regards.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  7. antislash

antislash

Hello U3D members, i guess it's the place to say "Hi"..
    i'm Victor, from France.
    i am a 3Dsmax instructor for a living.
    i've had some game projects, been working with Cryengine for a while and i like it very much...and, now, i am testing U3D, liking it very much, hating some features very much also....

i hope to find valuable help and advise from talented people and wish to help the best i can.

cheers

Victor

8. Camike

Camike

Hi Victor - been using 3DSMax for many decades off and on - more off than on in the last one. Sounds like a nice gig if you can get it. Never heard of Cryengine but at a quick look it seems fairly impressive. Having some Internet issues (their site is loading like sludge) but I want to investigate more based upon their "the vanguard of the quest to achieve realistic individuals in real-time graphics" statement. The "stills" are very impressive but not sure if they are un-retouched.

9. antislash

antislash

Hi Camike,
    i diden't test the very last version of cryengine (the PBS version), i left it when they decided to make it available only one steam.
    yes cryengine is really impressive and it's built in graphics quality is simply breathtaking, certainly the best of all.
    it has and editor that is really friendly to handle.
    the dark part of it is that when you want to code something, you have to make a big jump from simplicity to complexity.
    you have tou be a coder to get into code, unity is much more available to part-time-coders and more versatile.
    If you want tu use cryengine for a FPS, then fine, it has everything for it, but if you want change the gameplay in a reasonable way, you, then, have first to unkit everything to code your own..

Using unity for a month now, i feel i will never get cryengine's quality without performance issues.
    But i do realise that i can code things much more easily.
    for example, cryengine doesn't allow shader coding (except for $$ lincencees), unity allows much more things with the help of the unity commnity... i could understand and code my first shader very quickly although it is WIP.

cheers

Attached Files: