Search Unity

Helios 3D-360 Video

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JohnRossitter, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Shawn67

Shawn67

This is what I did when I was helping John test Helios. Actually, I was testing Helios and Pegasus together. But my rig was a little weak and it took forever for the video to render when finished. I'm getting ready to make new videos for my Gaia Stamp Packs now that I have a new video card. I'm hoping a better GPU and an SSD speed the process. But I suggest this process for even 2D videos to everyone who asks about assets to use for making trailers. :)

2. username132323232

username132323232

I tried that, but it seems that Helios saves same images into different folders. I tried different formats (png and jpg), different file prefixes, but that didn't help. Not sure if that has to do with my project settings or is that something else. BTW, I use the Helios2D_For_Pegasus prefab for both cameras.

3. KMSHotline

KMSHotline

Hey @JohnRossitter I am having trouble here. Running a Gaia scene and followed all instructions, but I have pme zone that is off-color and not blending. Can I add you to collab on the project to maybe see what is going on? I tried email but no love.

4. mkgame

mkgame

Hi,
    I created my first video with Helios for youtube. The video has 24 images in a second and has the 1080 hdmi resolution. It looks awesome offline, but youtube nearly killed the video quality. It is annoying to watch the video on youtube.

Any idea how to solve this issue?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    JohnRossitter likes this.
  5. KMSHotline

KMSHotline

Make sure to give it an hour two so that YouTube can finish encoding. It always looks terrible at first.

Also, you want to be around 2.5K or higher for 360 for it to look like 16:9 1080p

6. mkgame

mkgame

The video is now 1-2 days old, no changes. The size of the video is 1.1 GB with standard compression and 90% jpeg quality. That for 150 seconds. I can just guessing, that the video was too large for youtube and it tried to apply a very strong compression. What is the Youtube voodoo option?

Do you have any tested working settings for youtube videos? (1080p)

Another issue. How do am I know how much seconds in video time is applied? Is there a counter like "images count / images in sec"? I have an audio file which has a length in seconds and I drive the car in real time, but 4 times slower. For 150s I needed about 10 min, but it is hard to synchronize it, without knowing how much seconds in the captured video is gone.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  7. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Oh wow that does look really bad.
    Sadly, this is just beyond my control and up to YouTubes encoding software.
    It looks like the worst parts are where the sky is reflected on the water. I know things like foliage are horrible to encode and I suspect you have something here that just falls out of reference of what their algorithms are tuned for.

8. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

If you look at the encoding section on Helios, there is a max length setting you can use to specify to the encoder to clip the video to that length

9. mkgame

mkgame

At the end of the video I would move to the road side to finish the driving. The only one information gives me the number of generated images in the folder, so I know at image 3600 the video is finished. At image 3500 then I stop the car.

10. mkgame

mkgame

My problem is the pulsing image quality. In every 4-5 seconds the images looks blurry. I don't belive in wonder, that google is able to make it in a professional way, I just complain about this pulsing blurryness. Maybe more frames in a second would help, or 100% jpeg quality, or maybe a lower jpeg quality that blends the pixel already together?

Has anyone experience in this?

Do we have in this asset youtube recommendation?

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Container: MP4
    • No Edit Lists (or the video might not get processed correctly)
    • moov atom at the front of the file (Fast Start)
    Audio codec: AAC-LC
    • Channels: Stereo or Stereo + 5.1
    • Sample rate 96khz or 48khz
    Video codec: H.264
    • Progressive scan (no interlacing)
    • High Profile
    • 2 consecutive B frames
    • Closed GOP. GOP of half the frame rate.
    • CABAC
    • Variable bitrate. No bitrate limit required, though we offer recommended bit rates below for reference
    • Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  11. dakshesh_unity

dakshesh_unity

Hello, I just purchased this asset. I have a VR (HTC Vive + VRTK) experience which I want to record and make a 360 video out of it.

So I have a brief VR experience for HTC Vive which I want to port to Gear VR as well. So I want to record this experience and make a 360 video of it, which I can play in mobile. But I can't seem to work around this! I tried recording the it using the Session Recorder component by checking the Save Session flag first, played the experience in Unity. I am using Helios 3D prefab directly from the package and made it child of the Camera Rig, which I think should record the camera's positions (and not the headset, because the HMD is deep inside the hierarchy). After the session gets recorded, I uncheck the SaveSession flag in Session Recored, and check the "Camera Armed" flag in Helios Component. And now when I press Play (Ctrl + P), just after the first frame I get this message shown in the image below.
    Helios.png

So effectively, I get only one frame in the video. The recording of the recorded session stops after the first frame. I do get an output video which is just one frame.

Can anyone please help me with this?

I will be forever greatful for the kindness!

12. cybersoft

cybersoft

Hi,

Is this project dead?
    When will be next update?

Your website does not work at all!

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  13. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Hi,

The project is still active.
    My website is a problem with my host (godaddy). They keep forcing an update on the WordPress version and it breaks all the plugins I have running.

I do not really do much support here on the forums, instead I have a Skype group which I give realtime support on.
    https://join.skype.com/gOancZ2bmreM

Thanks,

meshonline, Shawn67 and coverpage like this.
  14. cybersoft

cybersoft

15. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Im looking right at it:
    upload_2018-5-21_12-53-0.png

It looks fine to me, maybe its your computer?

16. Seneral

Seneral

Getting it too exactly as he said...

17. blacksun666

blacksun666

Redirects for me too and the active antivirus program blocks it. @JohnRossitter maybe you have it cached locally?

18. cybersoft

cybersoft

19. robin-jeanfrancois

robin-jeanfrancois

hello, I run unity 2018.1.02f using standart pipeline and cannot render a 360 video, I have the FFMPEG plugin installed & just running the example view result in a black image. Any leads on that?

20. marcmong

marcmong

Hi, my goal is to use Helios to generate 360 stereoscopic videos to watch on the Oculus Go.
    Does anyone have any input as to what the optimal Helios settings would be.
    I know the Oculus Go can display at 72 Hz, so should I output at 60 Hz or 90 Hz?
    Since I don't think Helios can do exactly 72 Hz.

Also interested in the best IPD offset setting, or any other settings that could improve the quality of the video for the Oculus Go.

In the meantime, I'm going the trial and error route, but when you're generating high-resolution videos, each try takes a long time... ;)

Thanks!

21. meshonline

meshonline

The post-processing effects seems not work, I'd like to add a bloom effect, but I have to do it in other tools:(

22. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Hi, sorry to hear about your trouble.
    I do not get notifications from Unity when a new forum thread happens, so Im just now seeing this.
    It seems like maybe you have the fade to black script set at its maximum value.

If you want realtime support please find my Skype support group:

23. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

No, there is not a 72 hz route sadly, and I doubt you will find a good video encoder to make that work well.

24. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Post processing effects do work but you have to place them BEFORE the Stitcher scripts on the 360 camera, or else they are happening AFTER helios captures the frame. Now that being said, bloom is a tricky beast in all 360 applications, as it will merge 6 bloomed images

25. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

Just downloaded from Asset store and imported, seeing this error in Unity 2017.3.0f3

Helios_error.PNG

26. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Yeah, I see that too, I will be sending a patch up this morning for it.
    In the mean time, can you join my Skype group and I will send you the update you need:

27. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

A patch was submitted and approved.
    You can update Helios now to get the fix, sorry for the hiccup

28. recon0303

recon0303

I have used go Daddy as someone who was a web developer as a UX.UI designer for games, I would stand clear of them. I have used these guys for years, arvixe hosting. and had no issues. with any client. when they do have an issue they will move servers and you do nothing. no one has outages . if they do, its down mins. So something to think about. They are cheap as well..

Great work on your tool, we use it all the time. I never posted. never needed help, or support yet:)

29. Ati2

Ati2

Hi,

can Helios record "3d anaglyph" movies? The ones where you use a red/blue glass to see the movie in 3d.

Thanks,

Ati2

30. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

There is not a setting in Helios for this no.

Ati2 likes this.
  31. Ati2

Ati2

Thank you for the quick response. I guess I can live without that 3D setting... :)

32. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

However, if you intend to upload to YouTube they have (or had at one point) an anaglyph setting that you could enable in their 360 video playback

Ati2 likes this.
  33. Ati2

Ati2

I wanted 2d videos to have this feature. Something like this:

34. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

I see,
    Its not something that I have had a request for before, but from a shader perspective it would not be difficult.
    Ill think about adding it to the next release

Ati2 likes this.
  35. Ati2

Ati2

Wow, nice, thank you! :)

36. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

OK This was a bit trickier than I initially thought.
    First off I had to convert the color space to CMYK inside the shader code. Unity does not have any native support for CMYK, so there is a slight amount of information loss in the colors.
    But once I sorted that out, I was able to separate the colors out and shift them.
    This is not Chromatic aberration:

You can see in the editor that I have setup a new option for the Anaglyph in the effects, and you can also specify the separation amount

upload_2018-7-6_22-13-0.png

AdamGoodrich and Ati2 like this.
  37. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

upload_2018-7-6_22-14-4.png

Ati2 likes this.
  38. Ati2

Ati2

I don't have my red/blue glasses with me right now, I'll check it out around the middle of next week.

39. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

40. Ati2

Ati2

Hmm, I'm not getting any sense of depth from these. Is it just color separation, or are the two images coming from two cameras (left eye, right eye)?

41. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

This is with a minimal setting.
    How about this

img00002.png

42. Ati2

Ati2

No, sorry. :( Right eye (blue filter) looks okay, but left eye (red filter) sees both sides at once.

43. CKnopp

CKnopp

Hello all, if I may jump in on this, I recently read via Oculus that it is best to use 24fps if you plan on running Oculus Go at 72hz. and 30 or 60fps for 60hz.

44. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

I will add it to the next release

45. badradionz

badradionz

Hello John, I tried messaging you on Skype. This plugin does not allow 360 in Unity 2018.2.15f1

46. Tech-Byte

Tech-Byte

Your site is still redirecting to Scam sites when clicking on links such as for the Documentation. Please fix.

Helios also won't compile and throws an error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/UtopiaWorx/Helios/scripts/PreviewCamera/PreviewCamera.cs(15,12): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `Helios2D' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    3. Assets/UtopiaWorx/Helios/scripts/PreviewCamera/PreviewCamera.cs(16,30): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Helios' does not exist in the namespace `UtopiaWorx.Helios'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

47. spoutnix

spoutnix

I had the same "type or namespace name `Helios' does not exist" errors at the build (unity 2018.3) and contacted John on his skype channel who gave the fix:

type:
    #if UNITY_EDITOR at the begining of the PreviewCamera.cs script and
    #endif at the very end

If using Pegasus, do the same in the Pegasus/Script folder/TriggerControHelios.cs (yes, twice #endif at the end).

48. AgathaCrup

AgathaCrup

Hey John, really impressed with your asset and I'm just getting started, I armed the cam and hit the compile 2 clicks per shot...wonderful. Here is my first effort.

49. AJS654321

AJS654321

hi, ive bought and imported this asset into my unity scene, what do I do now? how do I add the camera needed to record, a step by step tutorial to use this in unity would be nice? Ive watched the tutorial for it, I don't know how to get the panel on the right open where all the controls are? any tips on where to start please, I know nothing about programming and adding scripts, I just want to be able to press the record and make a video please, thanks in advance, andy

50. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Hi John,

I'm having an issue I can't seem to solve. In the project, the demo scenes work fine. However, after adding the helios 3d object to my scene, I'm getting the following error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UtopiaWorx.Helios.Helios.OnRenderImage (UnityEngine.RenderTexture source, UnityEngine.RenderTexture destination) (at Assets/UtopiaWorx/Helios/Shaders/Helios/Helios.cs:1135)

I'm not sure how to go about solving for this. Any ideas? Thanks!!