Search Unity

Helios 3D-360 Video

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JohnRossitter, Jun 1, 2016.

1. The_Arrival

The_Arrival

Hey...
    is a stereoscopic 360° render to one texture/canvas (side by side) possible?
    The goal here is to render a scene with an inherit 3D effect for the Video by rendering two videos with a slight offset (interocular distance). In my case i would need the two videos in one side-by-side film

JohnRossitter likes this.
  2. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

It would be possible to do a side by side sterescopic pair, however I made it for more industry standard left eye top right eye bottom. I can look to adding it in the next release

3. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

However, if you want to release it on YouTube the Top over Botom format is native to their 360 plugin and converts it so left/right automatically

4. ina

ina

Any plans to make this available for runtime?

5. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Sorry but not likely.
    The process of moving that amount of data off the GPU to disk is just too intensive to release to the public.
    Thanks,
    John

6. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi, is that possible to use this asset to create best moments video like what Overwatch does and play it in multiplayer game(or similar approach)? I also want to let player save their last 1 min game video as a file, is that OK for Helios?

7. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Sadly no, Helios is an editor only tool.
    It's not intended for use in a released game because its an offline rendering tool that composes frame by frame shots.

zhuchun likes this.
  8. The_Arrival

The_Arrival

The Left-Right format is actually not the important part for me. Top-Bottom is also fine. So i can use stereoscopic rendering? I have control adjusting the interocular distance?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  9. The_Arrival

The_Arrival

Any chance to get an Answer before the sale ends? :)

10. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Yes Helios supports Stereoscopic and there is a setting for the IPD :)

11. GDevTeam

GDevTeam

Not sure if asked before. But does this support Unity 5.5.x, HTC Vive, Virtual Reality?

12. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

It will work in 5.5 just fine.
    However in my testing I have had some issues with recording and playback of movement track data with the steam plugins. I typically recommend not trying to record with VR running as it will burden the GPU in the first place.

13. GDevTeam

GDevTeam

That stinks. I bought this for VR apps. I'll just hang on to it. Surely will come in handy sooner or later. Thanks for responding quickly. I found another free solution that records video and audio near perfect for this project's needs. At least I have a solution in place now.

Perhaps when I get my next development rig it will be powerful enough to handle this through your app. Perhaps you'll find a way to optimize this aspect? VR's not going away anytime soon. And recording from within the UI video and audio would be great, with no issues.

Thanks again.

14. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Well technically you can do it, but you have to consider the amount of GPU bandwidth you are pushing.
    If you are rendering to stereo in Unitys viewport as well as the Helios capture, you have up to 4 cameras trying to render up to 8K video each.

15. mk1978

mk1978

Lately I have been testing Helios. When using SSAA postprocessing I get only black screens recorded. Now I have added SSAA script to Helios 2D_for_pegasus - Front. Do you know if there is any way to get SSAA to work with Helios?

SSAA:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/37214

16. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Hi Thanks for reaching out.
    Sadly, we have tried and tried to get their plugin to work but we never found a solution.
    Their supersampling tool does not work like regular post processing tools in the command buffer pipeline :(
    We have reached out to their developer and gotten nowhere with it.

Sorry :(

17. mk1978

mk1978

Thanks for quick answer! Do you know if there are any similar assets as SSAA that would work with Helios? I really like the simplicity of Pegasus and Helios together so I would like to keep them both in my workflow.

18. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Thomas Hourdel has a free one out on github called SMAA which I personally use a lot:
    https://github.com/Chman/SMAA

19. mk1978

mk1978

Thanks again for pointing this SMAA.

One more question about recording with Helios. When I try to record 2D video with higher resolution the output doesn't match the animation/preview anymore. If I record with preview the recording works just fine but if I increase the resolution the recorded images do not match with the original animation created with Pegasus and the recording cuts in the end so that the last second/seconds are not recorded at all.

Are there any other Helios/Pegasus users experiencing this?

EDIT: This problem was solved by making sure that Pegasus uses the same framerate as Helios when recording the video. As a defeault Pegasus uses Framerate Max fps and after selecting 30 fps (same that was used in Helios) the problem was solved.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    AdamGoodrich and JohnRossitter like this.
  20. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Hi there,

I cant say that I have seen this before.
    It may be better to join my Skype support channel, and we can look at it realtime:
    https://join.skype.com/Cb69olXJbDTo

Thanks,
    John

21. mk1978

mk1978

I was testing Helios about 6 months ago and I had the exactly same problem. I actually think that this problem may not be because Helios but more because performance or some other techinal issues. Unfortunately I find the Skype support channel difficult in my case because I am not a professional and I am able to work with Unity only 30-60min here and there., which makes this kind of live support difficult. I will try to stop by the Skype channel once there is a moment when I have proper time to work with Unity.

If it seems that there are no other Helios users experincing the same problem I will need do some more testing and try to find some way get a round it. I will also check with Pegasus forum.

Thanks,
    Miikka

22. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

First up, very impressed with Helios, it's a great tool.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to add in the stereo 360 metadate to the jpg images Helios exports. I would like to use a 1 frame image on facebook as a 360 image.

There are lots of tutorials out there about injecting metadata into video's, but I can't find anything on a simple image?

23. Formula7

Formula7

Hi John
    Firstly I want to say I love this product it is fantastic there is just one issue I'm facing. I'm trying to get it to work underwater. I have tried a few water options now (Unity's waters, Aquas and Suimono but once I simplify things down they all suffer the same issue. Namely the reflection maps aren't generated/applied correctly. You can see from the image below the reflections for the water are repeated on the side faces and the top kind of does its own thing.
    Any thoughts on how this may be solved ?
    Thanks Matt

Aquas00007.jpg

rossadamsm likes this.
  24. klvo

klvo

Hi John,
    Just started using Helios, it's working really great so far.

Have you considered allowing to export PNGs with an alpha channel in the effects settings?
    Right now it can chroma key the sky by finding the transparent parts and filling it with the chroma color, but I would find it extremely useful if there was an option to just leave it transparent.

I'm using Helios to capture footage and then compose them outside unity, so being able to have recordings with an alpha channel would make it al lot easier rather than doing the chroma key, especially with semitransparent effects.

I'm using this with the 2D camera, but it would be very useful in VR for making the composite videos that mix the Unity output with real camera footage of the users.

Thanks

JBT27 likes this.
  25. TOOVISUAL

TOOVISUAL

Help! I have gotten 3d to work but I have not been able to make a 2d yet. I have recorded the video but once I click create a video it does nothing at all...please anyone.

26. TOOVISUAL

TOOVISUAL

No worries I figured out how to do it with blender.

27. Rapskalian

Rapskalian

I'm also running into this issue, and have triple checked that there is only one audio listener in the scene by disabling the Helios listener and confirmed the console reads "there is no audio listener in the scene etc". What else causes the audio to be slowed down? I've played with all different frame rates and qualities and haven't touched any Time settings at all. I have also verified that it is still slow in an external audio program.

28. Rapskalian

Rapskalian

Maybe this error log would help shed some light. After I record a session, I keep getting this in the console when I have "Enable Playback" and "Save Audio" checked in the session recorder, but have "Save Session" unchecked as the documentation says to do on the website.

29. Rapskalian

Rapskalian

I'm also getting nothing but a green screen in every render I try. Brand new project, launched demo scene, and rendered. Any 360 player I use renders as green. I've tried different frame rates, different quality settings, every combination of checkboxes in the injector tool. What am I missing?

Capture.PNG

30. Rapskalian

Rapskalian

To anyone who has the green screen issue, try updating your GPU driver to the latest. That fixed that issue for me. Audio recording is still about 10% slowed down though. I think it may be due to differing sampling/playback rates? I'm not sure yet. I've tried tweaking different frame rates but that doesn't seem to affect audio recording at all. My workaround solution right now is to bring the audio into Audacity, speed it up 10%, and then reimport it into Unity.

31. Metron

Metron

Hi everyone,

I've purchased both Pegasus and Helios because some of my customers want recordings of their apps.

So, basically, I got Helios and Pegasus to work together (had to set the camera in Pegasus to the Helios Camera).

A series of exr images have been saved to my video folder. I've unselected the debug mode and I clicked onto the Helios Button.

A message appeared under the Helios logo, telling me that Helios starts processing and that it'll take a while. After a few seconds, the message disappeared.

How do I know that Helios is still processing? The video folder does not contain the video (only the exr images).

Thanks for your help.

Edit: problem solved through Skype discussion. Great support. Exr not usable with included encoder. Switched to jpg and everything worked as expected.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  32. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Hi, I scanned the questions here but didn't see any reference to this….

Helios is auto-saving every scene when I hit play, even if I have no Helios component in my scene. o_O :mad:

Is this something I can prevent?

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 5.12.24 PM.png

33. Dannyt007

Dannyt007

Hi,
    I buy your asset today and I download in a new project. After that, I install your FFMPEG. When I try to capture a 3d video with your demo scene 3D_demo, everything work fine but when I click on the Helios Button, I have the notify and when I click on "open" and I go in my folder, I don't have my video compilation. I follow every step in your tutorial video ! Help me please !!!

Best regards,
    Danny

34. sagejesseeAPL

sagejesseeAPL

I'm having a bit of trouble recording session data. I'd like to record a players actions, including their avatar movement and leap motion hand rig. My assumption is that I should connect the Helios Session Recorder to each of the objects that are tracked in space, then add the Helios prefab to the scene in order to "watch" the session data be replayed from the vantage point of the Helios prefab. This doesn't seem to work. In fact the editor just crashes when I try and play back the session data.

Any pointers on how to do this? I've gone through the demo scene successfully (as per the documentation), but I'm not interested in recording movement from the camera that is doing the recording. I just want to be able to record the players actions and watch them from a different vantage point. Almost as if you were going to record an avatar interacting with an interface in order to teach the viewer how to do it.

SeaCapn likes this.
  35. sagejesseeAPL

sagejesseeAPL

I see in the Helios FAQ it says that you can render to a second computer and use that one to record video from. This is something I would like to do, but I don't see any additional instructions on how to do this. Could someone point me in the right direction? Is this more of a Unity setting via cluster rendering, or utilization of the Helios package... or both?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  36. ZeBraNS

ZeBraNS

Is this asset compatible with Unity's Post Processing Stack asset for making 360 panorama?

Thanks.

37. broesby

broesby

Question, probably silly :cool: ... seeems to me that Helios must be able to do this, but must be sure...

I have made a short StarWars themed motion picture (5 mins) for my sister in laws wedding...

It is all done and consists of several Unity scenes in a sequence. I played it at the wedding as a Windows build of the Unity project.... Worked like a snap....

But I would like to make a regular video of it instead... for youtube, facebook and so on... I haven't had particular success with game recorders in terms of image quality....

Would Helios be my solution.... Or do I have to change a lot in my scenes... I have to say that some scenes use several cameras and that they are animated with Camera Path Manager.... and even Simple Waypoint manager.

If it is a question of setting a few basic things it's ok.... but if I need to change specific camera movement and it doesnt work with multible cameras I am in trouble...???

And what about AUDIO??? It is ofc also an important part of the movie... o_O

38. greeneninjagames

greeneninjagames

Hey, I just picked up Helios3D in an attempt to get something working after trying all the "Free" solutions off of the asset store. I'm sad to say that my experience with Helios3D is just as bad.

I'm using a VR project and want to set up a Helios "recording camera" in my scene to record a demo while I am inside my VR rig. Helios crashes over and over and over. In preview mode nothing crashes, but once I arm the camera, UNITY CRASH 100%.

Is this an unsupported aspect of Helios3d or should I be able to do what I'm doing?

indg likes this.
  39. luis29vm

luis29vm

Hello I have noobs questions, 1.- I setup the helios and works very good my question is where this video is save and how I can get the Record video file? I want to post the video on youtube, but i dont know where is the video, 2.- I buy pegasus but i really dont know how to setup this 2 assets peg+helios can you make a tutorial? im sure many people want buy this but is not documentation how to get this work properly. Thank you

40. BonyYousuf

BonyYousuf

Hi,
    I was hoping to use your asset on my game. My game is a "Third Person Shooter". I want to record the shooting action in 360 Degree. However this being an offline renderer means that I cannot have my action recorded since that cannot be reproduced when your offline rendering is turned on. Am I missing something here? How would I go about recording shooting action that cannot be reproduced for offline recording?

Thanks

41. eyalfx

eyalfx

We are using Helios to render 360 stereo videos and it looks like the video rotation is always in world space, no matter how we orient the camera. It make sense in some ways, but is there a way to get a character to show up in front of you. my camera has no rotation (identity) and the character is just in front of the camera... but in the video you have to look 90 deg left to see the character. How do I reset it?
    Thanks.

42. Nuitari

Nuitari

Hi, when trying to download the Helios_Auxilary.unitypackage for ffmpeg, Google won't let me. I get an error message "Sorry, this file is infected with a virus. Only the owner is allowed to download infected files."

Anyone else experience this? Is there an alternative easy solution to getting ffmpeg to work with Helios? (on Mac OS X)

TRyan likes this.
  43. TRyan

TRyan

I am also getting this. If you search for FFMPEG you can find dlls, but without a Unity package installer, I have my doubts I can get it working. Also, the virus alert and the 404 errors on the developer site make it clear that this package was abandoned. Don't know how I could get a refund without getting Unity involved.

44. Nuitari

Nuitari

The package isn't abandoned. I got the ffmpeg unity package directly from the developer shortly after contacting him today, and also got answers to my question from the Skype support group. All contact options are on the website.

45. davide445

davide445

Hi, purchased Helios with one goal in mind: use Unity as VFX tool to create videos.
    I've a short deadline for an event this Saturday and didn't find how to create a normal 2D h264 video with alpha channel (or an image sequence), any suggestion for that.
    Also will use Particle Playground to create effects, is Helios compatible.

46. xctx

xctx

I would like to be able to make an inverse 360 video where the camera would rotate 360 degrees around an object, such as a statue and make a 360 vid for YouTube. Is this possible with your asset?

In theory the camera's would be 8' to 10' from the object, with the ability to zoom and 360 it.

xctx

47. davide445

davide445

Hi testing Helios with ParticlePlayground on Unity 5.5.
    Unable to record 2D video since got this error, FPS stay 0 at runtime. Using HD7950Boost GPU with latest drivers.

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable RTForward of Helios2D has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the RTForward variable of the Helios2D script in the inspector.
    UnityEngine.RenderTexture.get_width () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/TextureBindings.gen.cs:853)
    UtopiaWorx.Helios.Helios2D.OnRenderImage (UnityEngine.RenderTexture source, UnityEngine.RenderTexture destination) (at Assets/UtopiaWorx/Helios/Shaders/Helios/Helios2D.cs:589)

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable FrontCam of Helios2D has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the FrontCam variable of the Helios2D script in the inspector.
    UtopiaWorx.Helios.Helios2D.Update () (at Assets/UtopiaWorx/Helios/Shaders/Helios/Helios2D.cs:211)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UtopiaWorx.HeliosStitcher.FixedUpdate () (at Assets/UtopiaWorx/Helios/scripts/HeliosStitcher.cs:115)

Next the screenshot of current configuration

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  48. thejimbarnes

thejimbarnes

FYI I followed the link to download ffmpeg from google and it says it has a virus and can only be downloaded by the owner

49. SeaCapn

SeaCapn

For anyone trying to download the ffmpeg from Google docs, you won't be able to do it from your browser. Download the google drive app for your desktop, sync files, add the ffmpeg to your drive, and you'll be able to access it through the file browser.

I am having a real difficult time understanding the session recorder, as I'm trying to record actual gameplay and play it back, not do a flythrough of my scene. If anyone has figured out the session manager or the session recorder, please let me know. I've exhausted the documentation, but it doesn't make any mention of the session manager.

50. thejimbarnes

thejimbarnes

Hi Capn I also copied it to my drive and tried download it from there but oogle scanned it before DL and said it had a virus and would not let me. I am hoping someone can check it.