Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Games Hearts of Cold - Redemption

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by petercoleman, Aug 15, 2018.

1. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi Everyone,

Hearts Of Cold - Redemption

Here's a quick update for the new years progress so far.

I have moved on through the levels updating levels and have now reached the end Level 27. Lunar Surface.

Attached below a screenshot of the level which at the moment has just some basic content.

This is currently the second part of a single level The Moon. i.e. Orbiting Moon Base : Lunar Surface.

I am stopping there and now have to go back to around level 18 and Update again levels through to this end level as more content needs adding.....

e.g. More Characters, dynamic game play scenarios and general content updating and additions....

That is enough to get on with for the moment to get on with. Sounds like a lot of work though some of those levels need little work and others somewhat more. Adding more Characters, allies, friends, enemies, their behaviors and sounds (speech, story telling, instructions, shooting and alike) is the main consideration in fact......

I will keep you updated as to how I get on occasionally. I am running out of things that I can update, add or improve without extending or adding to the existing number of game levels (which i don't intend to do) so any progress is good and a step closer to a game release.

Episode 2 : (Homelands) of this project is another ball game altogether as it poses different challenges and enough of that for now.

I must get back to this now and get to work on the game.

TheMoon.jpg

See you soon with more...

Kind regards

Peter

2. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hearts of Cold - Redemption - Quick Update

Hi All,

Here's a quick update of where I am now.

All of these remaining levels have been updated somewhat and now I am updating them with more content...

23. BattlePort : Mostly done except a lot of Characters and other things to add. e.g Level has a lot of offices containing a shedfull of computer work stations and other furnishings/fittings, living areas and alike which require some non combatant NPC's to match up busying themselves :) Add more "Battle" AI's. Enemy NPC's and other AI Enemies....
    Not really too much work - hopefully.

24. The Leaving : Final level on Terrestrial Earth. Mostly done except for Adding similar to above. i.e. just some Overall Updating really to add whatever additional content I can get in to make the whole level well just better :)
    Again not too much work really.....
    The hardest thing I have to do here is to optionally add the "Player" destruction of a non terrestrial element.

25. Stargate Earth : Not much to see or do here so should not take long to complete this one.

26. Moon Base : This level is now to be included in the first episode. As a staging post again not that much to do here.

27. Lunar Surface : This level split off from the level above as a separate level now to be included too. As this "Moon" levels extent is potentially a very large area it could as one might expect be developed in to quite a large complex level containing a lot of content and game play....which may not be included in the first episode and in such instance the second episode of the Game may start at the point the Player concludes this first episode wherever I decide to end it :)

Episode 2 : Homelands :

Yes I have some content and levels started for this following on from the Moon level and in fact would look forward very much to developing further the second episode as Scifi is my particular bag and right up my street. However not sure if or when I may get ahead with that in earnest....

First things first and see how things go me thinks :)

Kind regards

Peter

AaronVictoria likes this.
  3. petercoleman

petercoleman

HEARTS OF COLD - REDEMPTION

Hi all,

Before I start work on the game today thought I would give a quick update...

Currently working on "BattlePort - The Leaving" level the last level on Earth and thought I would share a Screen Shot....

Not much to say here really but as a note:
    You can see here two Allies and one dead enemy (of many in this location) and an Enemy Craft. This screen shot is taken in Editor test run when playing the game and as with most screen shots you have seen to date you may notice that the Player in FPS mode - is missing here. The Player with weapon is in Fact here "Shooting" but for some reason my two Editor screen shot plugins/scripts do not show the Player and often Particles in the game?

Later when the game is almost done and published I will be grabbing a new set of screen shots from within the published game and perhaps more videos to upload. They will be also of higher quality as I govern that in Editor Development Building so as to reduce the strain on performance in Editor test runs....

My computer is already working near its limits in Editor and this level being perhaps the most important level and being rather complex overall is stretching it to that limit...there's a lot going on in this level and I am running out of potential here to add much more. Its almost complete but will push it even further yet :)

After this level its just two small(ish) off world levels and the final "Moon" level to decide what I will do with and I am done.....Hopefully that wont be too far away.

Except of course the inevitable things that need to be done before any Release which could be a lot of work or not depending upon what condition I want to release it in... but that's for another time..I need to get to the end as outlined above first.

Regards

Peter

4. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Alright, read the first posts about this title, think at least could say everything looks FABULOUS, and the story is also perhaps sensational, amazing work, graphics are also amazing, not sure the title of the stuff is also still homo2, anyway only got positive, or otherwise supportive words for all that's going on here . . .

5. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi vintage-retro-indie_78

Thanks very much for the kind words of encouragement which are very much appreciated.

Here's another Screen Shot not seen before I don't believe

TheLeavingSttart.jpg

More to follow as I get closer to completion....

Kind regards

Peter

6. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

get a feeling this is a very personal project, and that it might have . . . vast importance also, for the maker here, so best of luck with this amazing title, and hope also all dreams come true // find the right place for this quality work, and also amazing content . . . .

7. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi Everyone,

HEARTS OF COLD - REDEMPTION UPDATE

What I have been doing?
    I have been updating the last 6 or so levels of the game again to the last level "Lunar Adventures" mostly adding and updating Characters (all types) and their behaviors and the dynamic sequences of Vehicles as they relate to level changes....

An updated screen shot of the lunar surface is attached below...there are currently 4 dynamic vehicles here currently...

Player ship vehicle, friendly ship vehicle (furthest grey) dark ship vehicle right which I have added to this moon landing sequence..this vehicle is an "Ally" vehicle which leads the Player, into the moon landing from the Orbiting Moon Station above :) There is also a terrestrial Rover so the Player can drive around the surface. Only two Astronaut characters here at the moment in this scene.

What am I working on?

As I am now working Off World in Space and wish to develop this level further somewhat - (how far remains to be seen)...then I have a necessity to update the game with some new dynamics relative to a Space environment....for Characters, vehicles and other off world type content....

I have been gathering together some new content which is mainly for use in Episode 2 of the Game but will be also useful in this Moon level too where the action will most likely be on the surface so not much different to the dynamics needed in levels to date....thus I am looking forward and have been working on new vehicle dynamics for including additional space control craft systems for Space scenarios...

Currently just added and still working on systems to add new Player vehicle Space Craft control for flight, space battles and alike, hovercraft, helicopter and possibly jet pack flight and other player controlled terrestrial vehicle types. This is notwithstanding of course any Player, allies, enemy and weapon system updates which may be required mostly for the Second episode. Lastly my attention is also drawn to the question of Off world Space environment generation and I have a lot of content already available for that so again game dynamics will play an important part.

I think that's enough work to consider for the moment and I firstly have to continue to Update what I have with any "necessities" outstanding mostly relating to this Moon level...and some work to do back on the 6 levels aforementioned....I still have some necessary work and some nice to have stuff to do omitted or bypassed to date. e.g. I should stop at some time to add (create) sounds/speech to many characters and scenarios and add them to the game...it's endless really but will bring it to an end before too long so I can get a game release which will be it is what it is at that stage - any more after that will be dependent upon may factors including my own and my computer systems "endurance" if nothing else :)

Regards

Peter

8. petercoleman

petercoleman

HEARTS OF COLD - REDEMPTION UPDATE

Hi All,

As I may be adding some new off world game dynamics to include in the game First Episode - Looking ahead I have done some work on building a system for such things that may be needed (ongoing)...

I have attached two screen shots which show some space environment content in a level The Red Planet (Mars).

1. Screen Shot of Player Craft and Enemy Craft. Currently the Navigation and Shooting system works though will need a fair bit of work to update and extend it for what one might call space battles. Currently Enemy craft can shoot at the Player craft and the Player can shoot via Gun and Missiles and destroy Enemy ships.

2. Screen Shot of Player Craft Internal Camera view.....

Now returned backwards around 6 levels from the Lunar surface to Update the levels as needed to the end of game once again.

Kind Regards

Peter

9. Enzo36t

Enzo36t

It all looks like a lot of work coming together really amazingly. That's some great dedication to make as many levels and also to add different varieties to the game play.

10. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi Enzo36t,

Thanks for your interest in the game.

Yes getting there now. Screenshots really don't do justice to the whole which is indeed a massive undertaking with a great deal of concentrated effort and care being given to all aspects of the game. Playing the game is a vastly different experience to looking at a screen shot :)

Here's another screen shot taken yesterday looking back from the base of the upper Battle Port platforms looking backwards in the game. This level is just about complete now so will move on to the upper platforms - the The Leaving level shortly that should be completed too within this week which will leave just the remaining off world levels to concentrate on. i.e. Earths orbiting station, The Moon and Lunar surface, the first two of which are well advanced and the Lunar surface itself "Lunar Adventures" will be a bonus as it were and I will end work on that when I am happy enough is enough until Episode 2 of the game is underway where it will continue or not as the case may be depending upon the level of interest in the first episode....

Episode 2 would require more effort in brain power, endurance, time and money too even than Episode 1 due to the challenges it poses to a one man indie developer :) But hey I have already some levels under way....

BattleportBack.jpg

Kindest regards

Peter

11. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi All,

I have moved on from the Battle Port level (screen above) which was an endurance in itself, updated and moved past The Leaving level and now back updating the level Stargate Earth. No Enemies at all here and after enough of those in the previous few levels Stargate Earth provides the Player with a moment of Solace and a chance for some quiet contemplation :) before a flight to The Moon orbiting station and on to the Lunar surface the last level in this Episode of the game.

Stargate Earth should be complete shortly - within days and the rest of this Episode as soon as is possible all being well.

StargateEarthView.jpg

Kind regards

Peter

12. petercoleman

petercoleman

HEARTS OF COLD - REDEMPTION UPDATE - Complete Game - Episode 1 Published.

Hello,

Now completed the current round of updates of the Game to the end of Episode 1 - Lunar Adventures level 27.

I have the project backed up and have published the full Game. I could refer to it now as Release Candidate 1 or an Early Access Version.......

At the moment I have started Playing the Game and making notes of anything I find that needs fixing.

The Game seems to have published well and I have not found any show stoppers or critical issues as yet.

I have seen quite a number of various glitches which need updating or fixing which however do not prevent game play but just impair the enjoyment of it somewhat.....I have only found once location where there is what you might call a must fix and that is one building that has some content which need meshes added and the levels nav mesh rebuilding so that Non Player characters do not walk through objects in the building. "Ooopps Missed that"

Not quite sure where I will go from here other than completion of Playing all levels perhaps more than once to find as many glitches I can find and fix them as necessary and re-publish, then test again....

I could release as is and that would be the easy thing to do but not the best idea me thinks :)

There are a load of things I could do to improve the Game but then there would always be more one can do.

Anyway I have to get on and complete my game testing - fix and re-publish and test again....

Here is what may be the last screen shot for some time while I work away at preparing another Publish....

This is a screen shot of inside the Moons Oribiting Station :

Kindest regards

Peter

13. petercoleman

petercoleman

Here a quick up date on HEARTS OF COLD progress for you :

At the moment I am in a relatively good place having completed the latest round of updates, Backed up the project and re-published the game and backed that up too for safe keeping.

I am currently playing through the game levels and making notes on anything needing further attention. Now to cut a long story short I could spend another 5 years updating and extending what I have but thats not going to happen and I suspect that Game players would rather see time spent on Episode 2 rather than endles updating of Episode 1. One could I guess always Upgrade the whole later if life would allow :)

Anyway the only major level work that could do with some effort would be the end level of the Moon sequence "Lunar Adventures level 27 the last one. Screen shot attached of the current level as it stands. I have added some more content here - which is not really representative of what it may end up looking like, as I am not at all happy with this currently as a Moon "Landing" site and have an inclination to do something more based on concepts in my consideration which would be more appropriate. All content in this screen shot may be removed and or simply moved to another location in the level and or disabled for the time being....Currently this is just not inkeeping with the rest of the game quality and something must be done about that :)

The Moon is a big place and needs a big Terrain so one can fly and otherwise move around and this level is currently composed of the crater area shown here situated in a Unity terrain of 2000 units sq. This is extended all around with an additional 8 terrains of 2000 Units sq so its a big area in total allowing for sensible amounts of gameplay....

Once my current testing of the latest published game is complete I will again run through all levels in Unity Editor and fix any critical issues if any I find that must be done and then concentrate once again on this last moon surface level.

To Update this Level will require my buying some additional assets and I dont have a budget for that at the moment (May is an expensive month!) so doing so is not a good idea but we shall see if the world is kind in the near future :)

Anyway thats it for now, Happy Game Making all.

Peter

14. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi Everyone,

HEARTS OF COLD progress...

I continue to Update the Game and re-published it today.

Currently testing specific levels in the latest published Game to check a couple of important fixes have been corrected and they have which is good.

I will need to again Play all levels and list any defects of any kind...thus far found one change of skybox which is not fading in correctly and one level where Esc does not display the In Game Menu which has a return to Main Menu button which is not critical as such as the F6 key returns the player to the Main Menu at any time if needed. Still these and any other fixes will be done.

I have been updating the visual display/quality of the game while working on all the other things and have changed the relevant content a number of times in an attempt to find the best compromise of display resolution and visual quality with respect to the impact on performance for game Players in consideration too of the included Game Settings Options Menu for providing a range of control for different Players computer hardware.....

This proves to be quite difficult for me as my changing the Game default settings display/quality of the game relative to my own hardware which limits the overall quality I can display myself while developing is limited. i.e. I cannot dev the Game in Editor for test run in editor at the Highest possible quality/display as I would grind to a halt :)

In the published game therefore the overall quality for the end Game Player will clearly be a compromise between the range and volume, and quality of content included by me in the game and the hardware and settings they can or have to choose in the Game Settings Options Menu when displaying that content for best quality/performance options choices. Nothing new in that.

Anyway I must get on but in the mean time here are a couple of Screen Shots of the Main Menu as it stands to keep you going :)

MainMenu.jpg

Main Menu Interface : Screen 1

MainMenu2.jpg

Main Menu - Screen 2 : Level Thumbnails : Load an Individual Level to Play.

Note :
    Start Game Button Loads the First level which is not displayed as a thumbnail choice.
    There are 3 Level Thumbnail Screens displaying a total of 26 fully playable level thumbnails (27 Levels in Total).

Kind Regards

Peter

15. petercoleman

petercoleman

HEARTS OF COLD progress...

OK Here's where I am at the moment....

Working on/Testing : Settings, Quality, Lighting and Performance in published Game.

I have been through all levels to give all levels consideration of the same and I am relatively happy.
    All levels now use a single (the same) Post Processing Profile throughout I am happy with so I have some consistency as my benchmark.

Here is a Screen Shot from the level Future City Approach which makes a good Desktop Background to keep me going :) Bear in mind that the Game Settings used here are not set at maximum for quality and the screen resolution is set at 1360 x 768 so there is scope for users with good hardware to bump up the quality considerably.

FutureCityApproach1.jpg

I need to stop and backup the Game Project again shortly as a matter of urgency but for now firstly in the Level, "The Leaving" I discovered that my Player leaving Earth sequence which is complicated has messed up (again) so I have to fix that first and republish the Game again just to ensure that works correctly before backing up the whole project.

That's all for now

Regards

Peter

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  16. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi Everyone,

HEARTS OF COLD progress...Taking a break for the moment....

If I go quite I am working away...

I have been still working on quality, lighting and performance and going around in circles somewhat having pushed my computer to its limits and running out of options to find the best compromise. As I go I have also been updating whatever I can that I see I can improve on the content and dynamics and game play without it taking forever....

Having pushed my system to its limits I would be interested in what kind of computer systems users, devs or just game players around here have and if they are any lower end than mine? if anyone cares to comment :)

Here are my specs so you can see what I am working with and up against :

Device name LAPTOP-S5IMH832
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.70 GHz
    Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)
    Device ID 26157F93-5C0F-488F-A6B0-FBC13ED08260
    Product ID 00325-95994-53952-AAOEM
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Drive C : SSD : 464 GB Free 291 GB
    Drive D : 931 GB : Free 606 GB
    Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M : 4 GB VRam
    System Ram : 8 GB DDR4
    Computer : Acer Aspire F15
    Second Monitor : Huawei 24"

Great System but way under powered for a project of this magnitude.

Unity : A pain in the butt but nothing would be done at all without it :)

Kindest regards

Peter