Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Utilities ░ ▒ ▓ █ Heap Explorer - Memory Profiler, Debugger and Analyzer for Unity

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Peter77, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Woohoo \o/

Most of the stuff just worked fine with 2019.3. Very surprising to me, since Unity replaced the underlying memory profiling back-end as far as I know. Thumbs up towards @alexrvn , @MartinTilo and the rest of the gang who worked on that.

The only things I noticed that did break in Heap Explorer were related to the overhauled UI in 2019.3, but also only in specific views.

In the profiler forum I found a post where they discuss "empty managed shell objects". It's basically a native object that was destroyed, where its managed object representation is still hanging around, which seems to indicate some sort of memory leak. According Martins descriptions, I believe it would be fairly simple to implement detection for that in Heap Explorer, so I might implement that sooner or later :)

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I've tested the Heap Explorer package with Unity 2020.1.0b6 and it seems to work.

I wasn't sure if it does, because of this comment:
    So you didn't change the existing API, I guess? Otherwise I'm wondering why Heap Explorer still works :)

BTW, documentation seems to be missing for the "Connection" type:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Doc...ence/MemoryProfiler.PackedMemorySnapshot.html

3. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

Are you doing it?? :):):)

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Do you know how to produce such "empty shell object"? I would need that to have something to test against when I implement detection for it. Or do you have a Heap Explorer memory snapshot that contains such object, that I could use?

5. QFSW

QFSW

I would imagine if you stored a reference to a GO then deleted said GO, you would end up with an empty shell that can't be GCd as it's still referenced

Peter77 likes this.
  6. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

@Peter77 yeah it's like @QFSW said, but I'm happy to provide a project and/or snapshot if you need it.

...but it's something like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class SomeClass : MonoBehaviour {}
    3. public class AnotherClass : MonoBehaviour {
    4. private SomeClass _someClass;
    5. private void Awake()
    6. {
    7.     GameObject go = new GameObject();
    8.     _someClass = go.AddComponent<SomeClass>();
    9. }
    11. private void Update()
    12. {
    13.    // take a snapshot before pressing any key and one after
    14.     if (Input.anyKeyDown)
    15.     {
    16.         Destroy(_someClass);
    17.     }
    18. }

Peter77 likes this.
  7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

EDIT: In the profiler forum I found a post where they discuss "empty managed shell objects". It's basically a native object that was destroyed, where its managed object representation is still hanging around, which seems to indicate some sort of memory leak.

Thanks for the snippet.

I've created a branch with the empty shell object detection. If you use Unity 2019.3 or newer, you can just add this git URL via the Unity Package Manager:
    https://github.com/pschraut/UnityHeapExplorer.git#empty-managed-shell-detection

Otherwise please download and add to your project manually:
    https://github.com/pschraut/UnityHeapExplorer/tree/empty-managed-shell-detection

Can you please let me know if this works for you? Because if it works, then I'm turning it into a proper update and merge it into master.

You can find it under the "View" popup:
    upload_2020-5-25_17-27-58.png

Opening this view will analyze the snapshot for empty shell objects and displays them like:
    cs_empty_shell_objects_01.png

As shown in the image above, the C# MeshRenderer object has no native object anymore (m_CachedPtr = null) and is referenced by "AnotherClass".

This was the code I used for testing:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class AnotherClass : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     private UnityEngine.Object _someClass;
    9.     private void Awake()
    10.     {
    11.         GameObject go = new GameObject();
    12.         _someClass = go.AddComponent<MeshRenderer>();
    13.     }
    15.     private void Update()
    16.     {
    17.         // take a snapshot before pressing any key and one after
    18.         if (Input.anyKeyDown)
    19.         {
    20.             Debug.Log("Destroy");
    21.             Destroy(_someClass);
    22.         }
    23.     }
    24. }

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  8. CircuitLord

CircuitLord

Heyo! This is potentially a dumb question, but I've had issues using this and Unity's official memory profiler.
    Trying to capture a standalone player in either of them results in

I've tried letting it run for over half an hour, I have a very high end PC so I don't really foresee that being an issue. The editor log file mentions no errors, it just stays on that progress bar forever. However, if I capture an editor player, it works completely fine and finishes quickly.

My project isn't massively sized or anything either.

Tried using 2019.3 and 2020.2.

9. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Does the issue occur with both, "Capture and Save" and "Capture and Analyze"? I'm wondering if it's related to capturing or analyzing. From what platform do you try to capture a memory snapshot? Just from PC or some mobile device or console?

If "Capture and Save" works, I could take a look at the snapshot why it's not loading. If "Capture and Save" and Unity's Memory Profiler don't work, it could be a problem on Unity's side.

10. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Does this happen in 2019.3.12f - 2019.3.14f1? If so, these versions (and 2020.x versions released around the same time frame) have been affected by this bug that is fixed in 2019.3.15f1.

Peter77 likes this.
  11. CircuitLord

CircuitLord

Sorry about the delayed response :/

Not sure if it was something I changed with my project, or if it was updating, but I went to Unity 2020.2a12 and everything seems to be working now, both in Heap Explorer and the Unity Memory Profiler. ^_^ Thanks guys!

MartinTilo and Peter77 like this.
  12. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

Hi @Peter77
    I'm sorry I took so long to answer, I was busy with other things in the project.
    I tried to use the tool but I get an exception. On the other hand, my colleague was able to use it and said it is really helpful!

I get this when I change the view to "Empty C# Shell Objects":

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. HeapExplorer.AbstractManagedObjectsView.OnGUI () (at Assets/Plugins/UnityHeapExplorer/Editor/Scripts/ManagedObjectsView/ManagedObjectsView.cs:303)
    3. HeapExplorer.ManagedEmptyShellObjectsView.OnGUI () (at Assets/Plugins/UnityHeapExplorer/Editor/Scripts/ManagedEmptyShellObjectsView/ManagedEmptyShellObjectsView.cs:54)
    4. HeapExplorer.HeapExplorerWindow.DrawView () (at Assets/Plugins/UnityHeapExplorer/Editor/Scripts/HeapExplorerWindow.cs:486)
    5. HeapExplorer.HeapExplorerWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/Plugins/UnityHeapExplorer/Editor/Scripts/HeapExplorerWindow.cs:398)
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0)
    7. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    8. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0)
    9. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0)
    10. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:359)
    11. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:353)
    12. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:329)
    13. UnityEditor.MaximizedHostView.OldOnGUI () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:1092)
    14. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:281)
    15. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)
    When I was capturing the memory I also got a lot of this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Missing Profiler.EndSample (BeginSample and EndSample count must match): Texture.ReleaseTextureUploadMemory
    2. Previous 5 samples:
    3.     AsyncUploadManager.gScheduleAsyncRead
    4.     AsyncUploadManager.ScheduleAsyncCommand
    5.     AsyncUploadManager.gScheduleAsyncRead
    6.     AsyncUploadManager.ScheduleAsyncCommand
    7.     AsyncUploadManager.gScheduleAsyncRead
    8. In the scope:
    9.     Texture.ReleaseTextureUploadMemory
    10.     AsyncUploadManager.AsyncResourceUpload
    11.     Render Thread
    I'm attaching the snapshot that makes the problem happen, my colleague also gets the exception when loading this:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KVwIPTRqBEZg-K64XBNCF2yhEKidEArt/view?usp=sharing

I'm using 2019.2.21f1.

----
    EDIT:
    Now I found out that when I profile the editor it works. I was profiling an iPad Mini 2 before.

Peter77 likes this.
  13. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

@MartinTilo @alexrvn

It seems the
    m_InstanceID
    field in
    UnityEngine.Object
    does not exist in a Player.

How can I get the instanceID of an object in a Player?

The UnityEngine.Object type captured from an iPad Mini 2 with 2019.2.21f1 looks like this (notice no m_InstanceID):
    upload_2020-6-9_6-45-8.png

The UnityEngine.Object type captured from the Editor with 2019.3.7f1 looks like this:
    upload_2020-6-9_6-45-44.png

I use the m_InstanceID field during the "empty managed shell objects detection" (link) and only consider objects where the m_InstanceID value isn't 0 (link).

I implemented it like this, because the editor contains various empty shell objects whose instanceID all contain 0. I assumed it would be some kind of special object or so.

But because the m_InstanceID field does not exist in the Player snapshot, it skips them all :)

@roberto_sc Thanks for the snapshot! I fixed the null-ref issue, but I'm now stuck with the issue described above. I'll post if I have an update.

roberto_sc likes this.
  14. QFSW

QFSW

Does GetInstanceID() work? At least in the editor it's equivalent to m_InstanceID looking at the decompilation

15. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

yeah that's the wrong field to check here, mostly because (as you found out) this m_InstanceID is stripped in a build. Checking
    m_CachedPtr = 0
    is a valid check for leaked shells that also works with builds. Alternatively, any managed object inheriting fro UnityEngine.Object that isn't referenced by a native object via their gchandle target is a leaked shell.

In both of these cases, the shell could be leaked or waiting for the next GC.Collect, so to be sure it is a leaked shell, it still needs to have some references pointing to it that have a valid root.

Peter77 likes this.
  16. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

@Peter77 do you usually get snapshots from playing in the Editor? I thought they were not reliable, I thought they would contain not only game memory but stuff from the Editor itself, since Editor snapshots are much bigger in size in the Memory Profiler. I always get from the device.

Peter77 likes this.
  17. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

It totally depends and I'm sorry in advance to point out the obvious :)
    • If I want to check memory usage in a build, capturing a build is required.
    • If I want to check memory usage in the editor, capturing the editor is required.
    • If I want to test something in Heap Explorer, capturing a snapshot in the editor is most of the time sufficient.

18. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

So only checking
    m_CachedPtr
    would be sufficient?

This was my first implementation, but then found there are a lot, what seems to be Unity internal, objects in the editor that all have
    m_CachedPtr = 0
    , so I added the additional filter to check for rm_InstanceID as well, because those objects all have m_InstanceID=0.

19. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Yeah, at least in theory. Then again no one keeps anyone from building types that have a field of that name so some filtering might be reasonable to sanitize this, like checking it is indeed a managed UnityEngine.Object inheriting type.

20. novaVision

novaVision

This tools looks exactly what I needed, but unfortunately Editor freezes on capturing the snapshot from iOS dev build.
    Tried different Unity versions: 2019.3, 2019.4, same result.
    Furthermore Memory Profiler doesn't work as well, same freeze.
    I am on Mac, developing for iOS/Android

The log says:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Creating memory snapshot file: {path}
    Creating memory snapshot file: {path}

UPDATE
    Seems that relates to Memory Profiler bug in 2019.3.13 and 2013.4.4
    Migrated to 2019.3.15 and that works fine

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Peter77 likes this.
  21. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

I guess those version numbers where typos? There was indeed bug, introduced in 2019.3.12f0 was fixed in 2019.3.15f0 (or .16?) but 2019.4.X should be wholy unaffected because all of those versions are just newer versions on the same branch. Anyways, just in case it weren't typos, if this re-occures in any 2019.4 version, please file a bug :)

22. novaVision

novaVision

you are right, just tested it again on 2019.4.4 and that worked

MartinTilo likes this.
  23. Sohaib_techverx

Sohaib_techverx

hi,
    I just downloaded the package using package manager with the git URL and I got this error:

Library/PackageCache/com.oddworm.heapexplorer@e29645c02f1e04d53ce91202330bc0d0d79caa0c/Editor/Scripts/TestVariables.cs(9,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'NUnit' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Apparently no-one else have this issue. I am using Unity 2019.3.06f. Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks,
    Sohaib

Peter77 likes this.
  24. andre_unity573

andre_unity573

@Sohaib_techverx you need to include manually the "Test Framework" package as well if you removed from your project. @Peter77 could not this be marked as a dependency when installing your package via git package?

@Peter77 one thing that I did not understood and it is not in the documentation is what GCHandles indicates and how can I solve any data that is remaining and referenced in it. It would help me a lot understand this.

Also, I'm trying to find here some memory that is remaining between scenes and it is strange that several delegates of mine appears as static when in theory they are not static.. I mean I'm creating lambda expressions and anonymous functions and placing them in some functions and referencing this delegates into actions/events in classes, is this expected? Am I understading something wrong?

I'm not used to handle memory leaks, so I'm not sure also if the issue is that the class which contains this event/action is not being cleared due to being referenced by someone which is not being cleared and so on.. Is it how it usually goes?

Sohaib_techverx and Peter77 like this.
  25. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thanks for letting me know. I believe that should be a simple fix, will post an update here when I fixed it.

To be honest, I don't know how useful the gchandles view actually is. As far as I remember, gchandles are used to prevent the garbage collector from collecting a managed object, which is just referenced on the native side. It's a while ago, my memory sucks, I'd have to look it up to provide a better explanation, but perhaps @MartinTilo could help me out here :)

I've never looked at how lambda expressions and anonymous functions appear in a memory snapshot and whether it's correct. Good question :) Do you know if they appear as static in Unity's memory profiler as well?
    I'm asking, because I'm wondering:
    • Perhaps that is just correct
    • Perhaps it's a bug in heap explorer, in this case unity's memory profiler would not display it
    • Perhaps it's a bug in the memory profiler api, in which case heap explorer and unity's memory profiler would be affected
    @MartinTilo you probably know if lambda expressions and anonymous functions should appear as static delegates?

andre_unity573 likes this.
  26. andre_unity573

andre_unity573

@Peter77, have not checked the delegates in Memory Profiler in Unity. I'm using Memory Profiler mostly for the TreeMap and such, but I was finding it easier to use Heat Explorer to find references and filter between the different data types, but I will take a look later and let you know! And thanks for the quick answer :)

Peter77 likes this.
  27. andre_unity573

andre_unity573

Honestly I could not find myself in Unity Memory profiler to find as easily the same anonymous functions and lambda expressions as I have found in Heap explorer hehe If you want I can send via direct message a snapshot from both heap and memory profiler if you want to check later.

28. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Heap Explorer 3.3.0 is available on github now :)
    https://github.com/pschraut/UnityHeapExplorer

FIXED
    • "The type or namespace name 'NUnit' could not be found" (thanks Sohaib and andre)
    • "You need Unity 2017.4 or newer" dialog when running Heap Explorer in Unity 2020.2 (thanks Martin)

29. jonagill_rr

jonagill_rr

Thank you for keeping Heap Explorer up to date! In my experience it's a hell of a lot faster and easier to use than Unity's Memory Profiler (although that has some useful features on its own, especially when looking at individual assets in the Map view). Most importantly, I can't find any function in Memory Profiler that compares to your Paths to Root feature.

Speaking of, I've found that Paths to Root sometimes throws an exception and freezes mid-way through analyzing objects in my captures. I get an IndexOutOfRangeException thrown on line 340 of RootPathControl:

Code (CSharp):
    1. value.Add(new ObjectProxy(obj.snapshot, obj.snapshot.gcHandles[c.from]));
    Have you encountered this before?

Peter77 likes this.
  30. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Yes, I encountered it just recently when I was testing Unity 2020.2.0a17. What version did you use?

I believe it's related to a change in the Memory Profiling API they did a while ago and Unity staff were actually kind enough to tell me I should take a look at it, because they expected it would cause issues with Heap Explorer (they actually made me aware of it twice, so shame on me for not listening):
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/hea...analyzer-for-unity.527949/page-5#post-5821303

When I checked with 2019.3 and 2020.1, I didn't see an issue. The documentation doesn't seem to be up to date (1, 2).

Sooo... not really sure what to change exactly, but I'll take a look at it at the weekend and hopefully figure out what to do.

31. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Whenever you create an allocation on the managed heap, you also create a GCHandle to it. The Garbage collector uses that GCHandle to keep track of the allocation. The memory snapshots contain a list of all GCHandles and the entire contents of the managed heap. That managed heap includes data for memory that has since been garbage collected but not overwritten yet. Memory Profiler tools then need to use the GCHandles to figure out what of the data in the managed Heap is actually still kept alive and what is just dead and ready to be overwritten (if that particular heap section is still the heap section at the highest virtual memory address and therefore the active heap section) or flushed out (as soon as the entire heap section it is in is empty and mono/IL2CPP decided it is time to say goodby and return the memory to the OS).

There's also other ways of creating GCHandles than just allocating heap memory. You could pin something to memory, box some value, or manually call GCHandle.Alloc() on an object (e.g. a struct). The Memory snapshots currently don't report the type of the GCHandle but we're looking into adding that.

An Example:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var x = new MyObject();
    2. var y = x;
    3. var z = GCHandle.Alloc(x);
    4. var w = GCHandle.Alloc(x, GCHandleType.Weak); // or new WeakReference(x)
    5. var wr = GCHandle.Alloc(x, GCHandleType.WeakTrackResurrection); // or new WeakReference(x, true);
    6. var p = GCHandle.Alloc(x) // or ulong p; void * ptr = UnsafeUtility.PinGCObjectAndGetAddress(x, out p);
    This results in 5 GCHandles out of which 3 (x, z and p, weak ones are dropped and assignment doesn't create one) get considered to get reported by the memory profiler snapshot API. However, the API is currently only reporting memory addresses for these GCHandles (i.e. just the GCHandle.Target value), and while reporting these, we're pruning out duplicated addresses. End result: 1 GCHandle for all the code above is reported.

We will eventually change this to report all GCHanldes, together with their type and without pruning them but that change should therefore then be quite obvious and hopefully self explanatory / well documented ;)

Now as to what the value is in showing all the GCHandles specifically in a Memory Profiler... Currently I guess it is a bit debatable. I mean, I guess there is value in recognizing that the GCHandles take up some memory (but it isn't even showing the duplicates so...), but beyond that it's very much just a list of what type of things are still alive. With the full reporting of GCHandles, the value would be in seeing how many handles are referencing the same thing and what type they are.

There is multiple parts to the static-ness of lambdas/anonymous functions and delegates. First of, lambdas/anonymous need to live somewhere from a compiler perspective, so they get added to a static class.
    Next and possibly relevant to this bit:
    referencing this delegates into actions/events in classes
    is that if these events are static, then the delegate/action formed implicitly on assigning to these events (if it is already of the correct type then it won't be converted but just referenced directly) will be referenced by a static field. So the field would be static and that is then a classic risk of accidentally keeping it around forever. This is particularly tricky with anonymous functions because unless you keep the original Action of it around, you can't de-register them, because you'd invariably be creating a new action that you'd try to de-register that then doesn't exist in the event list, so nothing is de-registered.

A bit of code to illustrate the potential issues with lambdas and event subscriptions:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. event Action<int> test;
    2. int x = 0;
    3. void Update()
    4. {
    5.     var y = x++;
    6.     // with a closure
    7.     test += (x1) => { y += x1; };
    8.     test(x);
    9.     test -= (x1) => { y += x1; }; // This won't unsubscribe because it is not the same delegate!
    10.     test = null; // This is the only way to get rid of the subscriber again.
    12.     // and without one
    13.     test += (x1) => { x1++; };
    14.     test(x);
    15.     test -= (x1) => { x1++; }; // This won't unsubscribe because it is not the same delegate!
    16.     test = null; // This is the only way to get rid of the subscriber again.
    18.     Action<int> actWithClosure = (x1) => { y += x1; };
    20.     test += actWithClosure;
    21.     test(x);
    22.     test -= actWithClosure; // unsubscribes successfully
    24.     Action<int> actWithoutClosure = (x1) => { x1++; };
    26.     test += actWithoutClosure;
    27.     test(x);
    28.     test -= actWithoutClosure; // unsubscribes successfully
    31.     test += TestMethod; // implicitly allocates a new delegate of type Action<int>
    32.     test(x);
    33.     test -= TestMethod; // implicitly allocates a new delegate of type Action<int>, but it matches the old one, so it unsubscribes successfully
    35.     x = y;
    36. }
    38. void TestMethod(int x1)
    39. {
    40.     x += x1;
    41. }
    Does this help? Otherwise I think I'll need more context on this.

We are very aware of this gap, as it is a feature missing in the Memory Profiler package that was in the Bitbucket one before. We are working on this.

Yes, we're in the process of fixing that. Somehow the only page that got updated with the new info is the one on NativeObjectEntries.gcHandleIndex. I hope the info I send you in the pm helps though.

Note that right now, Native to Manage object connections and maybe even GCHandles in HeapExplorer might be showing faulty data for 2019.3 and up. (I didn't look to deep into the code of HeapExplorer though).

Peter77 and SugoiDev like this.
  32. andre_unity573

andre_unity573

Hi @MartinTilo! Thanks for answering :)

Hmm, interesting, not sure I understood everything about the lambd and anonymous methods yet.
    Let me give a few simple examples to understand if there is any risk in these:

Code (CSharp):
    2. public class MyClass : MonoBehaviour
    3. {
    4.     private List<Texture2D> textures;
    5.     private Action myAction;
    7.     private void Function1()
    8.     {
    9.         // Does this where usage function will be considered static?
    10.         // If so, will these sprites stay in the memory? Even after my mono is destroyed? Considering that my function is not static neither my class.
    11.         textures = GetComponentsInChildren<Texture2D>().ToList().Where(__texture => __texture.name.StartsWith("filter")).ToList();
    12.     }
    14.     private void Function2()
    15.     {
    16.         // Does this where usage function will be considered static?
    17.         // If so, will these sprites stay in the memory? Even after my mono is destroyed? Considering that my function is not static neither my class.
    18.         CustomFunctionWithCallback(delegate (Texture2D p_texture)
    19.         {
    20.             textures.Add(p_texture);
    21.         });
    22.     }
    24.     private void Function3()
    25.     {
    26.         Texture2D __texture = new Texture2D(1, 1);
    27.         // Does this where usage function will be considered static?
    28.         // Is there any change in the behaviour considering this delegate is using a local variable?
    29.         CustomFunctionWithCallback(delegate ()
    30.         {
    31.             textures.Add(__texture);
    32.         });
    33.     }
    35.     private void Function4()
    36.     {
    37.         // Is this delegate also considered static?
    38.         // Will I need to manually set it to null when my mono is destroied?
    39.         // Or considering the action is not static this is not necessary?
    40.         myAction += delegate ()
    41.         {
    42.             textures.Add(new Texture2D(1, 1));
    43.         };
    44.     }
    46.     private void Function5()
    47.     {
    48.         // Is there any difference in this delegate where no private variable from the script is used?
    49.         // Will this be static and require some null setting to clear the texture created inside?
    50.         myAction += delegate ()
    51.         {
    52.             Texture2D __texture = new Texture2D(1, 1);
    53.             Debug.Log("Creating the texture for nothing");
    54.         };
    55.     }
    56. }
    Consider that myclass can also not be mono necessarily but being referenced my someone that is monobehaviour which is also cleared..

I'm trying to understand if there is something wrong with these lambda and anonymous functions since they appear to be remaining in memory or if they are remaining in memory because of another issue in my game logic which can be holding a reference which I still not found that can lead to these stay in the memory later..

33. jonagill_rr

jonagill_rr

We're using 2019.4.2f1, so perhaps the change came downstream to both the 2019 LTS and 2020 branches?

34. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

No, it originated in 2019.3

@andre_unity573 to your examples:
    I believe all the delegates here would be considered static methods on a static class but I'd have to inspect the IL to be sure.
    Function 1:
    It's a bit wasteful in terms of GC allocs because you Alloc two lists and two arrays, only to keep the last list but it shouldn't keep the textures in memory. The where delegate would end up on a static class but that shouldn't be an issue, it's just we're the method is kept for compiler purposes. Do you see this show up in the Profiler?

Function 2:
    The function would I guess be static, though I'm unsure about it's reference to the closure (the inclusion of a local variable in the lambda). I'd have to inspect the IL. So not sure if it would keep a reference to the list after the delegate is GCed. I'd check it with the Memory Profiler to see if the list survives the instance of the class and it's usage in the function it is passed to, because it depends on what CustomFunctionWithCallback does with the callback. As long as that method is somehow keeping a reference to the passed delegate, the delegate instance will be kept in memory and anything that is part of it via that closure I'd assume.

In case the closure keeps a reference to the Textures list, you can call Clear on the list in this class, then the only thing it would hold a closure on though would be a now empty list taking up it's capacity * pointer size plus the size of all list fields. The textures could unload.

Function 3:
    The method local Texture that gets the closure should behave pretty similar to the Textures list, except the reference to it will survive the scope (instead of the textures list GCHandle potential surviving the instance of the class) if CustomFunctionWithCallback keeps the reference around for longer than the calling scope exists (e.g. by passing it to a coroutine, async call or adding the reference to some field.).

Function 4 and 5:
    Since myAction isn't static, the delegates would be collected together with the class instance, and so would be what they reference. In case of Function 4, that means the reference to the textures list. But that list would be kept around as long as the class instance and therefore the event is kept around anyways.

Now same as cases 2&3, case 4 might be different to case 5 if the static code would somehow keep a reference to the textures list in a way that it'll keep it alive beyond the class instance. As I mentioned, I'd need to inspect the IL to be sure (or double check with the Memory Profiler if it gets unloaded properly) but I'd guess it wouldn't?

I'd double check these assumptions but, not at a computer right now.

35. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Heap Explorer 3.4.0 is available on github now :)

Please thank @MartinTilo for explaining to me the new
    connections
    format in a memory snapshot. Without his help, this update would not have been possible. Thank you Martin!

I've updated Heap Explorer to use the new Memory Profiling API, that was introduced in Unity 2019.3 and is also the back-end of Unity's own Memory Profiler. This will hopefully get rid of a few issues.

The migration wasn't too bad, because I was lucky enough to had abstracted the memory snapshot already and only needed to rewrite the "Unity to HeapExplorer snapshot conversion", rather than every location where it's used. It's this commit if anybody is interested.

However, while migrating to the new API, I also found this bug:
    (Case 1269293) 2019.4: PackedMemorySnapshot: nativeObjects.gcHandleIndex contains -1 always

Which means Heap Explorer will not display "native object to/from gchandle" connections. Martin told me via PM how I can workaround it myself, but I don't have time to work on it anymore this weekend. And to be honest, I hope Unity can just fix it. If I find time next weekend, I might look into the workaround.

I've also added checks to detect invalid array-indices during "Searching Root Paths", it will now handle this gracefully with an error message rather than an exception.

Please let me know whether 3.4.0 works for you.

36. alexrvn

alexrvn

Unity Technologies

Heya Peter, the the -1 handle index bug has been fixed up ^^, and is currently in flight to 19.4. I'll also be fixing up the issue with the old api where connections data is being reported as InstanceID instead of indices, that seems to have been an unintended side-effect of the backend overhaul in 19.3.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Peter77 likes this.
  37. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

That's excellent news, thank you!

LOL, so I didn't even have to update Heap Explorer to use the new API. I guess it was the peer pressure that made me act fast. ;)

38. julian-moschuering

julian-moschuering

Hey @Peter77
    CaputureAndSaveHeap fails in 3.4.0 due to sharing violation. I worked around it by replacing
    Code (csharp):
    1. UnityEngine.Profiling.Memory.Experimental.MemoryProfiler.TakeSnapshot(path, OnHeapReceivedSaveOnly);
    with
    Code (csharp):
    1. UnityEngine.Profiling.Memory.Experimental.MemoryProfiler.TakeSnapshot(FileUtil.GetUniqueTempPathInProject(), OnHeapReceivedSaveOnly);

chrismarch and Peter77 like this.
  39. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thank you for the info! I'm going to take a look at the issue at the weekend.

chrismarch likes this.
  40. chrismarch

chrismarch

I've created a pull request with changes inspired by this, but slightly different to allow for the file name authoring in the original code, and to fix a follow up violation when trying to write to the heap file to the snapshot file:
    https://github.com/pschraut/UnityHeapExplorer/pull/1

Thanks for this tool! I have to get the diff working, as the diff of MemoryProfiler is missing hundreds of MB that I was hoping HeapExplorer would catch, but even if not, being able to walk references to the asset bundles is invaluable

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Peter77 likes this.
  41. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

That's great, thank you!

42. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

43. kukuruzza2

kukuruzza2

Hey Peter77 !
    Thank you very much for sharing this tool, really saved my day. Still much better than Unity's own mem profiler.

Peter77 likes this.
  44. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad it still proves useful :)

45. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I released Heap Explorer 3.7.0:
    • Fixed "Count" display in Compare Snapshots not updating correctly after swapping two snapshots. Thanks to niqibiao for the fix. See PR#3 for details.
    • Fixed slow performance and high memory usage in rendering large lists, in particular when resizing a column or the window. Thanks to niqibiao for the fix. See PR#3 for details.
    Download or install package from github:

46. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Heap Explorer 4.0.0 is available now! This version fixes some bugs and comes with a few performance improvements. Thanks to jojo59516 for pull requests!
    • Fixed search regression introduced in 3.9.0. Thanks to jojo59516 for the fix. See PR#10 for details.
    • Fixed "ArgumentException: Getting control 2's position in a group with only 2 controls when doing repaint" error that occurred very often when loading a memory snapshot.
    • Fixed high CPU utilization caused by repainting the "analyzing in progress" GUI. Thanks to jojo59516 for the fix. See PR#11 for details.
    • Fixed that closing the Heap Explorer window while analyzing a memory snapshot is in progress sometimes didn't close the window immediately. Thanks to jojo59516 for the fix. See PR#11 for details.

47. capkoh

capkoh

@MartinTilo @Peter77

Hi, a question regarding these managed empty shells. What causes them to leak? Will the following piece of code produce a leak of an empty shell of a static testObject? I suppose, that it will leak as it's a static reference and it will be there even after object is destroyed, right?

Code (CSharp):
    1. private static GameObject testObject;
    3. private void Awake()
    4. {
    5.   testObject = new GameObject();
    6.   Destroy(testObject);
    7. }
    Now, what will happen if I assign null to testObject after I destroy it? Will it still leak or not?

Code (CSharp):
    1. private static GameObject testObject;
    3. private void Awake()
    4. {
    5.   testObject = new GameObject();
    6.   Destroy(testObject);
    8.   testObject = null;
    9. }
    If it won't leak, does it mean that all references to UnityEngine.Object that are somewhat persistent or kept in any cache should be explicitly null-ed after being destroyed?

Thank you.

48. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Yes. You need to clear any references to destroyed objects, because as far as the CLR is concerned they are just plain old managed objects that are still referenced.

Then the GC runs, managed wrappers around objects that are alive will be treated as roots and will also be referenced by other things. When the native objects are destroyed, the objects are no longer roots but that still leaves them reachable by any references to them that are still held by other managed objects.

If I'm honest it's one of the reasons I dislike the overloaded equality operator that makes destroyed objects act as if they are == null in Unity...

MartinTilo and capkoh like this.
  49. liuzailin

liuzailin

Ask two questions. The first question is: can unityhepexplorer support the real machine (Android, IOS, exe) of unity build? Sometimes the mobile platform is different from the editor platform. Some memory leaks are only available on the mobile platform. What should I do? Second question: I see that the mono heap memory on the unity profiler is 500 megabytes, but the managed memory usage in the unityhepexplorer is only 100 megabytes, but the native memory usage is 1.9g. Which item of the mono heap memory corresponds to the mono heap memory in the unity profiler, Is the unit incorrect, or do both managed memory usage and native memory usage in unityhepexplore belong to mono heap memory?

50. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Yes. You need to connect to the build using Unity's Profiler. Heap Explorer will display the connected Player in the "Capture" drop-down.

What Unity version do you use? I remember there were always issues that the overall memory usage doesn't match with what Unity or Xcode reports. Perhaps @MartinTilo knows more on this topic?

I submitted a bug-report a while ago reporting:
    (Case 987987) PackedMemorySnapshot: "managedHeapSections" do not match stats in Profiler
    Here is the reply from Unity to the bug-report: