Search Unity

Feedback Headless questions / feedback / issues

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by marwi, Mar 30, 2020.

1. marwi

marwi

running the following command does open the hub asking me to select the modules I want to install?

"C:\Program Files\Unity Hub\Unity Hub.exe" -- --headless install-modules --version 2019.3.7f1 -m android

the editor version is installed

Update:

I just tried the same command again, this time I get this message "Omitting module android because it's already installed" but the hub doesnt show any icons for 2019.3.7f1 (it's a fresh install via headless, never opened).
    If I try installing the android module via the hub window it starts the installation so something seems to be off with the headless mode here

My Hub version is 2.3.0 so the latest available

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  2. marwi

marwi

Hello, here's a follow up:

I just tried again installing the android module, this time for 2020.1.0b4

This is the command I ran: "C:\Program Files\Unity Hub\Unity Hub.exe" -- --headless install-modules --version 2020.1.0b4 -m android

Hub opens, I confirm the popup that opens - no feedback but task manager says hub is doing something so I wait. After some minutes I get in the console.

"Modules installed successfully."

I check the hub window:
    upload_2020-4-7_18-29-50.png and upload_2020-4-7_18-27-48.png

I restarted the hub several times but nothing changed.

Android has been installed to the editor directory though, so I assume it's just a display bug?!

upload_2020-4-7_18-33-16.png

Attached Files:

3. marwi

marwi

Running unity hub in headless mode while installing something lets me not use the hub anymore to open any projects and seems kinda broken.

20200424122003.png

And the other way around: calling hub headless commandline commands while the hub is already open does not do anything (I get a buffer is deprecated warning and a hub process with my commands fires up but then the download does not actually begin, even after closing hub and quitting the other hub processes)

4. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello @marwi !
    Thanks for all the feedback you are giving and for following up with this thread. About the most recent post, you are not supposed to use the hub while using headless hub (hub CLI). Maybe i am getting your errors wrong, can you elaborate ?

5. marwi

marwi

Hello, thanks for letting me know you received the feedback.

I see. You're right, I did open the hub to open another project while installing a editor version via headless mode and didnt know this is not supported.

6. marwi

marwi

Hello, apparently the hub does not recognize newly installed editors via cli automatically (even after having re-opened the hub). The screenshot showing the editors folder. 2020.2.0a9 has been downloaded and installed and is at the correct location but I have to manually select/locate it. Restarting the hub didnt help

upload_2020-5-9_23-30-59.png
    upload_2020-5-9_23-31-20.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  7. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Is there a way to version the version of the current Unity hub that is installed.

Essentially, headless installs have stopped working in V2 (likely intentional) and after installing the latest V3, they magically started working again.

To avoid this issue on headless hosts, is there a way, preferably from V2+ to get the version of the installed hub so it can be automatically upgraded?