Search Unity

Head Y rotation on Humanoid with Mixamo animation

Discussion in 'Animation' started by andycoke, Nov 16, 2017.

1. andycoke

andycoke

Hi all,

I've downloaded a character animation from Mixamo, imported it, it works ok. The issue I'm having is the character is not looking in the direction I'd like. He is just facing out straight rather than looking to the left over his shoulder. I've opened the animation in Cinema 4D, rotated the head 180 degrees (on the Y axis) but no change in Unity. If I rotate on X or Z it's fine in Unity.

I'm assuming this rotation is handled by Unity, which is why I'm getting the error message on 'Spine2 transforms' being discarded.

I've tried using 'Neck Turn Left-Right' under Muscles & Settings but that seems to make no difference to the character.

Can anyone help?!

I'm not very clued up with character animation so I could be missing something super simple.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

• man.png
      man.png
      File size:
      480.3 KB
      Views:
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Can you show an image of the mapping tab rather than the muscles tab?
    Does mapping spine2 to the optional upper most spine bone in the humanoid rig solve the warning - and fix the animation issue?

Did you activate translation DOF on avatar to improve retargeting quality - as the warning suggests?

Is the head turn visible on the imported animation or is this the head turn incorrect only when you are attempting to retarget?

First, change the rig to generic. Is the head turn animation correct now?
    If so - this error is being caused by the humanoid set up.
    If not - the head turn is not in the animation data. It is not imported correctly.

Go back to humanoid rig, and turn off animation compression. Is the head turn animation correct now?
    If yes - yay.
    If no - that's not the problem.

Does checking generate retargeting quality under the warning message and clicking apply fix the issue?

Do you need the head rotation animation to be combined with the existing animation, or can you set it up to be an additive/override animation - retargeted onto your existing rig?

3. andycoke

andycoke

Hi theANMATOR2b, thanks for your reply.
    I ended up going back to Mixamo and downloading some new animations, the ones I had were 6+ months old. The news ones have imported into Unity without any errors and all works fine.
    Thanks again

theANMATOR2b likes this.