Search Unity

Head Tracking Judder On Wmr Device

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Bovine, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Bovine

Bovine

Hi All

I've noticed I am getting some judder\jitter when rendering to my WMR device. I have a Lenovo Explorer for reference.

The mirror image within Unity seems to be perfectly stable, but on the device it appears to warp and judder a little in ways I hadn't been experiencing. Nothing appears to have changed and the device works fine without juddering outside of unity in the WMR portal and in SteamVR games.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

Cheers
    Ian H

2. Bovine

Bovine

Just an update on this that I observe that when the Unit Game window is not visible in Unity and I am outputting to the WMR headset, rendering collapses and I get very low framerate, huge lag and lots of black everywhere.

3. Bovine

Bovine

So I started setting up a VR scene again. Checking it into source control so I could monitor changes, but it didn't come to that. It seems very low near clip planes drive my Lenovo WMR Headset bonkers - I had it set to 0.05 in the near clip plane and even objects that were within a few meters were rendering badly in the headset with clear and obvious duplicates. Dropping to 0.2 and putting a collider around the head so hands cannot clip into it easily, appears to be the solution.

Probably I am misunderstanding but I would have thought a 5 or 10cm near clip plane would be reasonable for VR situations.

Note that I still find the headset renders nothing to 3fps if the game window is not active.