Search Unity

Feature Request HDRP with iOS support

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Elliott-Mitchell, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Elliott-Mitchell

Elliott-Mitchell

Any chance we can experiment with HDRP on recent iOS devices anytime soon?

I thought HDRP was “supported” on high-end iOS devices which support compute shaders? I know HDRP is a beast, but I do believe there are use cases for iOS support.

-Thanks

2. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi,

We have no plan for now to add the support to IOS.

If you want to experiment with it, you can uncomment this line here:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...untime/RenderPipeline/Utility/HDUtils.cs#L773
    If you uncomment it then you will be allowed to build on IOS.

However we don't offer any support in this case. We are aware of few projects with a customize hdrp that are able to run on ipad pro, so we know there is thing working. We mainly don't officially support IOS because we don't have the performance. We haven't done any mobile specific optimization for hdrp (it is even the opposite, we rely on async compute and are doing a lot of "resolve" which are counter productive on gpu tiled archtiecture, we don't have simplified ligthing code) thus it will run around 5 fps which is useless.

You could of course remove various features, optimize various code etc... And depends on your need you could achieve something. Also we have check it for a while, HDRP run on metal correctly, but if something differ on ios, it is possible that some featuers don't work at all.

3. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

I just got the iPhone 15 Pro and am curious if the limitation still applies to such a capable device? We have a URP branch anyway, but since the HDRP version runs at 60 FPS most of the time on a Steam Deck, I'm under the impression the new iPhone could handle it... But maybe not as you mentioned the gpu tiled architecture thingy.

4. ibyte

ibyte

Hi I was also interested in testing HDRP on a M2 iOS iPad device. In the past when I wanted to make changes to a Unity package, I copied the package from Library/PackageCache/<packagename> to the Packages folder. when i do this with the HDRP package on Unity 2022.3.10 the editor always crashes once the project is opened. How does one make the mods persistent these days?