Search Unity

Question HDRP: Why Does Upgrading Unity Black Out Game & Scene View? How to Fix?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Xander-Davis, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

With HDRP projects, I upgraded Unity from 2020.3.25f1 to 2020.3.26f1 (both LTS, Windows 11) and it blacks out the Game & Scene view completely. In Scene View, you can't even see wireframes (I have my wireframe colors in Preferences set to non-black colors, so no, it's not that). Text on a UI Canvas also renders as if it's compounding the render on top of itself every frame, so it looks terrible-- and that's the only thing that appears when Playing a scene.

This has happened a few times with older HDRP projects opened in newer versions of Unity. For example, this happens if you try to get the Heretic character to open. I checked to see if my HDRP package is up to date and it is. I try upgrading all materials to the latest HDRP materials version and no help. This doesn't seem to be an issue with HDRP itself, but rather it breaks the editor (because it breaks Scene view even in wireframe mode).

Why does this happen and how do you fix it? Anyone else experiencing this? It completely trashes my projects every time.

2. olavrv

olavrv

Have you tried to close game/scene view tab and open new tabs? This has worked for me a few times :D

3. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Thanks for the suggestion-- at least that's something.

Unfortunately, that did not help. I tried a fresh backup from 2020.3.25f1 and opened it with 2020.3.26f1 and got the same 'black screens of death'. I tried closing Scene and Game views. The panel layouts became glitchy (they started shifting their layouts around in a glitchy way) and upon opening back up Scene or Game view panels, same thing-- 'black screens of death'.

:(